Are these bugss?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

proflui

Are these bugss?

Post by proflui »

I have encountered some strange issues in my campaign game so far. And I wonder they are bugs.

1. I try to move some units into a contested area as reinforcement from the same original area. However I can click some unit to move but not the others. It just does not let me pick the destination when I click it. However when I click march them all from the one that I can move, then all unit can move. Is it a bug?

2. I try to move some India armor units by land from Chittagong to reinforce Rangoon. Most units move fine so far but one actually moved in the opposite direction. I try to reset the destination to just somewhere south but that particular unit just move North east from Chittagong. Why?

3. I have sunk some Japanese CV but the name of the sunk ships are different between the combat report/operation report and the intelligence Display ship sunk report. The name of the ships are always a different CV (I find three cases already).

So are they known bugs? Please help. Thanks!
Sauvequipeut

RE: Are these bugss?

Post by Sauvequipeut »

No3 isn't a bug...it's fog of war working as designed. If I remember correctly, it could take up to 6 months before you find out for sure which ship you sank...or even if you sank it at all. It's not unusual to see a CV or battleship appear on the sunk list and then vanish with a message that intelligence believe it's still in service...

You can generally confirm the loss of an enemy CV, battleship or cruiser by looking at the aircraft losses table. If it went down, the aircraft or seaplanes it carried will appear as Ground Losses the day after. For the actual name, you just have to be patient. Just remember that the guy who sank the 65000 ton Shinano had to struggle to be credited for a mere 28000 ton Hiyo because the US Navy didn't realise Shinano existed...
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

1. You are probably missing the hex and clicking on other icons like units there when trying to set destination. Happens sometimes.
2. Armor is faster on good roads so its optimal route to Rangoon is probaby different compared to infantry
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

To elaborate on GetAssista's #2.....

If you choose a destination hex multiple hexes away from you present location the tactical AI can sometimes choose a mystifying route.
When moving through heavy terrain without roads it is better to set a destination only one or two hexes distant to better control the march direction the AI chooses.
Hans

proflui

Post by proflui »

For #2, all the units I move south are Armour units and there is only one that actually move the opposite direction. There is no road linking the two places.. I will try to set the destination just one or two hexes away tonight.

For #3 I can understand that there is a fog of war thing going on. But the reports should still provide a consistent result rather than contradicting result, unless the report comes from different departments?
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

#2 maybe, just maybe:
if your move orders were done on different turns, AI pathfinding might react to Japan moving its own unit somewhere inbetween and making the old path impassable. I'm not sure if pathfinding reacts to hidden units. But e.g. recon and supply propagation certanly do, so why not
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Re: #3, inexperienced ship/sub crews and (especially) aviators are usually not great at identifying enemy ships accurately. If the battle was at night the ID is really difficult. So you have reports from the field about what they think it was and the Intel guys have some SIGINT after the battle plus other Intel about enemy ships in the area before the battle. The report of losses is an estimate based on the inputs but as you noted it is different from the Combat Animation and Combat Report. That is on purpose as FOW.

An experienced player gets to know what to believe and what not to believe. For example, any torpedo hit on the enemy is usually listed as a sinking of that ship when it is very unlikely it went down. You don't sink a BB or CA with one torpedo unless the magazine explodes or there is a huge amount of other damage. After a few games wherein your CVs clash with KB, you come to get a feel for what combination of torpedoes, bombs and secondary explosions it takes to sink each class of carrier. That is why I always watch the combat animations to get a better feel for the damage factor. The ships listed as sunk in the Intel report are suspect until confirmed by enemy admission - which can take up to a year.

Re: #1, from what you describe about a unit refusing to move, that can happen if the unit is heavily disrupted and you set it to march toward the enemy. Basically it just means there are not enough squad level leaders within the unit to get everyone organized to march. However if you set one unit to march and click "Set All to March", all the units in that hex that can move will go in the same direction - the disrupted troops just following the crowd (they will move more slowly than the other troops.)

Because you did not provide a screenshot I will also mention another possibility - if you were initially ordering movement in Strategic Move mode and then switched to Move (marching) mode when that one unit would not move, the problem could be that many units cannot use Strat Move on roads. Generally only US Army and British Army troops (and perhaps some Australian) can Strat Move on hard surface (gray) roads because they have enough internal motor transport. Units like Marines and the Chinese do not have transport enough to move that quickly.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
proflui

Post by proflui »

Thanks for all the helps and inputs!

I will take a look tonight right after work but I still think number 2 could be a bug since Burma is pretty safe for now (The Japanese did not even move to Rangoon yet) and I do not see the route being cut off between the two locations.

Number 3 I am not using strategic move so probably is due to disruption.

It is my first campaign game and I am still learning. I have lots of fun so far.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

TBH the game has been around and well supported so bugs are extremely few and far between. So just some friendly advice as a nubie don't look for bugs, instead ask the forum what it is that you may have missed.[;)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

In an attempt to settle this and similar queries ahead of time, the following are actual bugss:

Attachments
bugss.jpg
bugss.jpg (413.63 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”