Is there a TOAW IV option?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
rgflores

Is there a TOAW IV option?

Post by rgflores »

Hello, while we wait for TOAW IV is there another computer wargame with similar flexibility, several scenarios, thousands of different units that I could buy?
I like, for example, "Command:Modern Air/Naval Operations". But I am wondering if exists another option.
Thank you!
r6kunz

RE: Is there a TOAW IV option?

Post by r6kunz »

Hello flores,

If you do not have it, you cannot go wrong with TOAW III. Yes, a lot of user interface improvements are projected, but the basic game engine, rules, etc will likely be similar and will hold you in good stead in IV. It is still probably the best game out there. I you already have III you might look
War in the East, but I found it a bit hard to get into...
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: rgflores

Hello, while we wait for TOAW IV is there another computer wargame with similar flexibility, several scenarios, thousands of different units that I could buy?
I like, for example, "Command:Modern Air/Naval Operations". But I am wondering if exists another option.
Thank you!

John Tiller's Campaign Series is good and recently redone. Kind of between operational and tactical. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/318/Jo ... ign.Series

Steel Panthers WW2. Tactical scale. There's a free edition and also a paid edition. This is based on Steel Panthers 2 game. It's sold by a different game company but should be easy to find with a simple search.

Forgot. The same company has a modern edition. Steel Panthers MBT.

Steel Panthers World at War. Tactical scale. There used to be a free edition besides the paid one. Not sure if that's still true. This is based on Steel Panthers 3 game. http://www.matrixgames.com/store/297/St ... ls.Edition

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
rgflores

Post by rgflores »

Thank you for your suggestions!
I have all of the games suggested and I have no doubt that TOAW is the best one because of its flexibility
and many aspects of war simulation. I was wondering that maybe was missing something. Let´s wait for TOAW IV [:)]
athunder7

Post by athunder7 »

Try East front II for weapons choices. HOI3 finest hour for grand campaign mode. do your own builds, most complex WW2 simulater ever.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Advanced Tactics Gold has an editor that is far more flexible than that one of TOAW. Also it´s a much better platform to build strategic scenarios, since it has production and a reasonable naval engine. It´s also published by Matrix/Slitherine. Unfortunately, the scenario editor is too complex and there aren´t many scenarios.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: Bombur

Advanced Tactics Gold has an editor that is far more flexible than that one of TOAW.

It also has a random game generator, right?

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Yes, a powerful one, and some mods for random scenarios.
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

What about War in the East, War in the West, or Strategic Command WWII:War in Europe? I don't own any of these but have been looking at them. Does anyone have any experience with these games? Thanks
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

Strategic Command 3 is a great game, but it is strategic in nature - not operational like TOAW. There are multiple mods out for it ( I use 3 of them ) and the game is fun and well supported. They have the PBEM in BETA right now, and it should be released in a month or so - later on they will integrate it into STEAM so that people can play each other and chat during the game via STEAM. It's a bargain for the price with a lot of replayability - definitely worth your time while you wait for TOAW.
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: rjantzi
What about War in the East, War in the West, or Strategic Command WWII:War in Europe?
I don't own any of these but have been looking at them. Does anyone have any experience with these games?
Thanks
I've played WITE PBEM several times and after the fifth time I got bored with it. I was on the WITW beta team
for a while but I found out that it's really really complicated to play. You can almost orchistrate your attacks, air, sea, and
land to support each other and really make things happen but there's a learning curve. I dropped out. But then took up
WITP-AE which is the most complicated game I've ever played. The Jap player has full control over the economy
and the war making machines. I've instituted a program wherein I ditch all fighter types except for the Zero and all
bomber types except for Bettys and by concentrating on these two types the theory is that more planes can be produced
per day. It's too early to tell whether the program is working as intended or not.

Having said all that I'm having more fun on the TOAW beta team than is allowed by the NDA. There's a lot of new
scenarios to go with the release and a lot of revised ones, modded ones, and right now I'm playing one scenario after
another trying to find those that are broken or not balanced. I'm glad I'm retired with nothing else to do.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

Thanks guys. I'm thinking about either War in the West or Strategic Command 3. I know they're two very different games and levels of complexity but I see aspects of both that appeal to me. I appreciate the feedback. And of course, one day, we'll have TOAW IV to buy :-)
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
ORIGINAL: rjantzi
What about War in the East, War in the West, or Strategic Command WWII:War in Europe?
I don't own any of these but have been looking at them. Does anyone have any experience with these games?
Thanks
I've played WITE PBEM several times and after the fifth time I got bored with it. I was on the WITW beta team
for a while but I found out that it's really really complicated to play. You can almost orchistrate your attacks, air, sea, and
land to support each other and really make things happen but there's a learning curve. I dropped out. But then took up
WITP-AE which is the most complicated game I've ever played. The Jap player has full control over the economy
and the war making machines. I've instituted a program wherein I ditch all fighter types except for the Zero and all
bomber types except for Bettys and by concentrating on these two types the theory is that more planes can be produced
per day. It's too early to tell whether the program is working as intended or not.

Having said all that I'm having more fun on the TOAW beta team than is allowed by the NDA. There's a lot of new
scenarios to go with the release and a lot of revised ones, modded ones, and right now I'm playing one scenario after
another trying to find those that are broken or not balanced. I'm glad I'm retired with nothing else to do.
Nice comments, Larry. I could not agree more. Maybe WITE is ok, but really, really hard to get into that carpet of units. I think anyone with some patience with be rewarded with TOAWIV.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I agree. WITE and WITW are probably terrific war games but way too large to be enjyable
Kurt Knispel

Post by Kurt Knispel »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
ORIGINAL: rgflores

Thank you!

Steel Panthers WW2. Tactical scale. There's a free edition and also a paid edition. This is based on Steel Panthers 2 game. It's sold by a different game company but should be easy to find with a simple search.

Forgot. The same company has a modern edition. Steel Panthers MBT.

Steel Panthers World at War. Tactical scale. There used to be a free edition besides the paid one. Not sure if that's still true. This is based on Steel Panthers 3 game.

I've had the various incarnations of Steel Panthers, ever since the original was released way back in 1995 or so. Sadly, it doesn't work with Win 10, and they've finally given up on using CPR on it.

I'd pay a lot of money for a new version of the game. I reckon, it was the most enjoyable tactical level war-game ever. A perfect balance of realism vs playability.

And having so MANY units to choose from, was a delight!

*sigh*
"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden...."
nnason

Post by nnason »

Are you saying that Steel Panthers here: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Works ... _page.html with patch winSPMBT V11.01 Upgrade (2017) does or does not work with Windows 10??
Live Long and Prosper,
Noah Nason
LTC Field Artillery
US Army Retired
Kurt Knispel

Post by Kurt Knispel »

ORIGINAL: nnason

Are you saying that Steel Panthers here: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Works ... _page.html with patch winSPMBT V11.01 Upgrade (2017) does or does not work with Windows 10??

"winSPMBT Free Download Edition features:
♦ Fully Windows compatible up to Windows 8, allowing for either DirectX or GDI based graphics."

I must admit, I haven't tried the very latest version. I already had a lot of trouble running SP-WaW & MBT when I still had Win-8. So when my PC died, and my new one came with Win-10, I didn't even bother trying.

From what I have read on other forums, people who have tried are having all sorts of issues.

But hey - you can always try the free version.

But I think, even Matrix knows they're flogging a dead horse. That's why they've been quietly (so as not to get people's hopes up, I suspect) asking, what one would like to see in a re-boot.

pbhawkin1

Post by pbhawkin1 »

OR try SPWAW at their new forum with hints in the tech section on running on various windows OS:
https://spwawdepot.prophpbb.com/forum9.html
Regards
ImageImageImageImage
Kurt Knispel

Post by Kurt Knispel »

Or - you wait a while..........:

Matrix Games - 5/3/2017:

Job Description
We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine’s Archon engine and you’ll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”