OT: UK museum trip 2017

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pontiouspilot

OT: UK museum trip 2017

Post by pontiouspilot »

An old law school buddy and I are travelling to UK/London for several weeks in April. Between the pubs we have an extensive list. I have a couple questions for locals or world travellers:

1. How much time to get through Bovington?
2. How much time to get through Bletchley?
3. Is it feasible to do Bletchley and RAF Hendon in 1 day? Is the De Haviland museum near each worthwhile? I'm guessing that Duxford is a whole day on it's own.
4. Has anyone done the Chartwell thing?...is it worthwhile? Buddy already did Blenheim thing.
5. I saw HMS Belfast 30 yrs ago....anything changed? I know the Imp War Museum itself is vastly upgraded at all facilities. I plan a full day at main museum, excepting our pub time!
6. Other than Bovington and Portsmouth (2 days) anything else required down south?
7. Any other ideas???...don't need to be war related...maybe some good walking tours
8. What are the best UK/London apps?...I bet Obvert will know this one!!
dr.hal

RE: OT: UK museum trip 2017

Post by dr.hal »

Churchill's underground bunker complex in downtown London is a must! Very interactive and informative. Also the naval museum at Greenwich. Also for an outstanding pint and a bit of history try the Royal Standard of England, the oldest free-house in England, out along the A-40 I think its near Beaconsfield. Finally the Tate Gallery Turner wing, Turner put out some really great paintings!!!
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Yes the Churchill war room is excellent...did it 5 years ago and I doubt it will have changed. We are planning a trip to Greenwich via Thames boat or raft or some water conveyance. I made a note of the others...thanks
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Bovington is an all day job

My family were bored to tears after about an hour and I was still swooning over the Pz Mk IV
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

The Imperial War Museum is a must
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Squamry

Post by Squamry »

If you want your history a bit older the British Museum is a good choice. Good Egyptian and Assyrian collections plus much of the loot from Empire days.

In a similar vein the Ashmolean at Oxford may be worth a visit.

The Royal Armouries at Leeds may be worth a look at, but is north rather than south.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Whatever you do, do not go to the Ice Bar!

I think the Kensington Gardens are fun to visit if going with a family. Other than that, a lot of good museums. Some already mentioned (British Museum, War Museum). Also the British Army museum (I had fun looking at their viewpoint/depiction of the Revolutionary War). One thing you might enjoy is heading over to the former residence of the Duke of Wellington (A.W.), especially if you are interested in the Napoleonic era.

Always fun to see the changing of the guards. When I was young and touring around at night, we found an empty guardhouse outside of the Queen Mother's palace (like the ones you see the famed guards standing in outside Buckingham Palace). Us kids started playing around in it pretending to be guards and being generally foolish (there was a big red alarm button we could've pressed inside, but luckily did not). They must've had cameras because in a few minutes a very smart-looking fellow with a big automatic gun came to check on us and asked us to refrain from standing in the guardhouse. Very nice chap after the initial confrontation and proceeded to chat with us and my dad for awhile.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

If you are down Southampton/Portsmouth way you can tour HMS Victory.

If you want something to do in London other than a pub crawl, visit the ticket booths around Trafalgar square (IIRC) - you can get tickets to top-notch plays for that evening at bargain prices. My SO and I saw Les Misèrables for about half the usual price - good seats too!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

pub crawl....what makes you think I could crawl?...good idea

Been on any good walking tours in London?
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I have added Apsley House to list...good idea, very central. The Brit Army museum, also a good idea...in Chelsea I think. The Brit perspective on Revolutionary War.....you mean the 1st US Civil War??
Mike Dubost

Post by Mike Dubost »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

pub crawl....what makes you think I could crawl?...good idea

Been on any good walking tours in London?

A couple of years ago I was in London and found many good walks from London Walks.

They have a variety of walks, and I had a wonderful time on a day trip to Salisbury and Stonehenge. My current reading includes a
book about a knight named William Marshal who had some connection to a lord who controlled a castle at Old Sarum, and I can say that
I remember seeing that site from the bus, er, I mean coach window.

If you go to the linked site, you can see their catalog and pick walks that suit your interest.
tanksone

Post by tanksone »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

An old law school buddy and I are travelling to UK/London for several weeks in April. Between the pubs we have an extensive list. I have a couple questions for locals or world travellers:

1. How much time to get through Bovington?
2. How much time to get through Bletchley?
3. Is it feasible to do Bletchley and RAF Hendon in 1 day? Is the De Haviland museum near each worthwhile? I'm guessing that Duxford is a whole day on it's own.
4. Has anyone done the Chartwell thing?...is it worthwhile? Buddy already did Blenheim thing.
5. I saw HMS Belfast 30 yrs ago....anything changed? I know the Imp War Museum itself is vastly upgraded at all facilities. I plan a full day at main museum, excepting our pub time!
6. Other than Bovington and Portsmouth (2 days) anything else required down south?
7. Any other ideas???...don't need to be war related...maybe some good walking tours
8. What are the best UK/London apps?...I bet Obvert will know this one!!

A little tease....

Attachments
BOOM.jpg
BOOM.jpg (465.38 KiB) Viewed 115 times
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

A little tease....

Stop that.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Isn't Admiral Lord Sprior (Cap Mandrake's colleague in dastardly deeds) now working at the IWM? Might be worth a PM to him.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

Duxford is absolutely a whole day, fantastic place. Highly recommended. I'll be checking it out in July when I come over to UK for first time in 10 years, can't wait!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”