Game view and Soviet losses

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

thedude357

Game view and Soviet losses

Post by thedude357 »

1) I cannot for the life of me figure out how to view the full screen in this game. I am sorry for my computer ineptness. It is in windowed mode but I cannot get the full screen to show up. I am using windows 10. I thought it was alt-enter or something along those lines but it doesn't work. The issue being some important selection items are at the bottom of the screen and I cannot click them.

2) I always play German, but someone needs to help me understand Soviet losses. In my current game which is now in April 1942, I have captured 250 Soviet infantry divisions, 21 infantry brigades, 34 armor divisions, 15 armor brigades, 14 motorized divisions, 47 cavalry divisions. This amounts to almost 5 million soviet men lost, 24,000 soviet AFVs lost, 60,000 guns lost. Yet in April 1942 they still have defense in depth of almost 90 miles basically along the entire front. The only noticeable damage I see is the severe lack of Soviet tanks, which I feel will limit his offensive capability in the future. The winter 1941 wasn't too bad on full blizzard. But I feel I captured so many men I didn't advance as far as I should have. But I will pose a serious threat in 1942...

At what number of soviet losses do you notice a lack of soviet units? After that many losses, are the ones being fielded a paper tiger? Or are the encirclements kind of pointless due to the massive Soviet resources, and territory is all that matters?
Walloc

RE: Game view and Soviet losses

Post by Walloc »

I assume that u play the AI. U dont mention difficulty level which will matter so in how accurate i am in my assesment.

As to units per say u wont ever see an AI lack units. Its one of the "cheats" it has. It can buy more or less limitless number of units.

How ever on Manpower it isnt the same. If u keep pocketing in 42 and advance far enough(u havent given any clue on how far u are into SU) into SU minimizing the Manpower hench the replacement rate the units will have less and less men in them.
It did become noticeble late in the summer in my first AI games tho that is years ago and many a version ago. U would depending on how much Manpower u are denying the russian problerbly have to take 2-3 mio more POWs/casulties in summer of 42 before a lack of Manpower become noticeble.

As to its lack of tanks it has more to do with SU ToE than the losses u have given them. After they disband tank/mot divs in 41 they only have tank bdes to have tank in on the map. This artificially limits the number of on map tanks. From april 42 IIRC they can start to build tank corps and that will make the number of tanks rise simply because they now have on map units to have the tanks in, and not just lingering in the replacement pools.
The early 42 tank corps are fairly weak tho. Not alot of elements in them and llimited exp/moral keep them low CV early on.

Kind regards,
Rasmus
thedude357

Post by thedude357 »

I am actually playing a human opponent.

After 5 million soviet losses it just isn't noticeable with the amount of units on the map. Although the soviet units are rather weak. Going to be hard to achieve a breakthrough when its 90 miles of low cv units that are going to eat up movement points.

Any idea on how to fix my windowed view?
GabrielBora

Post by GabrielBora »

Historical losses in the period you mention were 6,4 milion .
number of new divisions raised in 1941 was 260 .

you are simply below historical numbers except in cavalry divisions destroyed .

Edit ( What display resolution settings are you using ? )

Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: thedude357

I am actually playing a human opponent.

After 5 million soviet losses it just isn't noticeable with the amount of units on the map. Although the soviet units are rather weak. Going to be hard to achieve a breakthrough when its 90 miles of low cv units that are going to eat up movement points.

Any idea on how to fix my windowed view?

90 miles is 5½ hex deep lines. If he has taken 5 mio losses so far, its a little hard to beleive that he has that every where. Not saying he cant have it at specific points, but not all over the entire front. If u have any where near historic advances. Look for weaker points and terrain, AKA Down south and then study some AARs. Panzer ball tactics are capable of penetrating quite deep lines. Using inf units to clear the first few hexes. Then plow through with motorized units.

Any how what does the OOB say about the russian strength numbers?

As the game plays out as it sounds as ur has, tho with limited info. The german unlike historicly u quite a lot stronger by the summer of 42 than u were at eve of Barbarossa. Question of using that fact to ur advantage. Near 4 mio men german OOB numbers isnt uncommon in many AARs by the summer of 42.

Kind regards,
Rasmus
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

@theDude:: don't use full screen, but expand the "reduced screen" to maximum that still allows visibility of items. As others say, check display parameters, Win info bars sizes, etc.
Icier

Post by Icier »

[quote]ORIGINAL: thedude357

1) I cannot for the life of me figure out how to view the full screen in this game. I am sorry for my computer ineptness. It is in windowed mode but I cannot get the full screen to show up. I am using windows 10. I thought it was alt-enter or something along those lines but it doesn't work. The issue being some important selection items are at the bottom of the screen and I cannot click them.

This may be stating the obvious but when the War in East screen comes up....in the top right hand side are a -, square, & X....hit the square & it will open up to full screen.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Return to “The War Room”