Started

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Magpius

RE: naval gazing

Post by Magpius »

Thanks

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Capitaine

RE: a few more

Post by Capitaine »

Hello Agent S, I noticed that your historic mod doesn't change the emblem for capital cities owned by the Germans. Was this an oversight? Any chance you can fix this one as well?

(I think it's the resource_flag_sprites.png file.)
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Odd, I'm sure mine works.
Will check/ rectify shortly after xmas.
Been a little distracted.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Thank you. I guess it's possible you modded that file but just overlooked it when compiling your zip file. Perhaps. Thanks for taking a look.
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Not sure if the PM worked.
Attachments
resource_f.._sprites.zip
(101.27 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Not sure if the PM worked.
Good for others who need it as well. [:)]
OxfordGuy3

RE: Started

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Quite honestly, if the developers wanted to seed a thriving mod community, they should ship a graphics file with non-flattened layers, as a lot of time is just taken up unpacking the file, and then locating elements in folders.

Maybe you should email Bill directly about that?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

RE: example

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Thank you for this flag mod. I absolutely hate the use of fantasy German flags in historical wargames. When national flags are used to depict nations at war, it is the height of foolishness to use a phony emblem for Germany as some paean to political correctness. The coverup won't change the subject matter of the conflict being modelled, it just fosters ignorance.

The problem is that Germany and Austria don't allow Swastikas and other symbols of Nazi Germany to appear in game sold there, so a special version of the game would have to be made for sale in those countries otherwise
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Well this is odd, I replaced the decision_dialog.png bitmap for Germany in C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Strategic Command WWII - War in Europe\Interface\Major_07 but the old image with the non-Swastika symbols is still showing in game - could it be being cached or something? How do I clear the cache? All the other Swastika symbols are showing fine, though
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

Well this is odd, I replaced the decision_dialog.png bitmap for Germany in C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\Strategic Command WWII - War in Europe\Interface\Major_07 but the old image with the non-Swastika symbols is still showing in game - could it be being cached or something? How do I clear the cache? All the other Swastika symbols are showing fine, though

Sorry, I was wrong, the Decision events are appearing with the new flags, it's just the initial scenario briefings that aren't - are those hard-coded? Not a big deal I guess, though.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Thank you for this flag mod. I absolutely hate the use of fantasy German flags in historical wargames. When national flags are used to depict nations at war, it is the height of foolishness to use a phony emblem for Germany as some paean to political correctness. The coverup won't change the subject matter of the conflict being modelled, it just fosters ignorance.

The problem is that Germany and Austria don't allow Swastikas and other symbols of Nazi Germany to appear in game sold there, so a special version of the game would have to be made for sale in those countries otherwise
Yes, that is the oft-cited "excuse". Well aware of that. However, there are games, board and computer, that do not censor swastikas in WWII products. How is that happening if this alleged ban actually applies to historical products (not "toys") like historical simulations? Does one maintain that if a German bought a scale model of a Bf-109 it would not contain authentic swastika decals? Surely you jest.

There is also nothing to stop a historical game publisher/designer from posting a "historical patch" on their site, as this mod does (only more complete and integral), to convert ahistorical emblems to historical ones for those to whom this is an important issue.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Sorry, I was wrong, the Decision events are appearing with the new flags, it's just the initial scenario briefings that aren't - are those hard-coded? Not a big deal I guess, though.

Hi

They are contained within the game's main installation in the Media folder, so to make your own you would need to make a Media folder within your User Campaign's folder. Only those that are different or new would need to be placed here.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
AstroCat

Post by AstroCat »

Here are the files in the folders and I went ahead and did the Media folder as well.

Updated for 1.01:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/czrn470z3 ... mod_v2.rar
I7-6700K@4.5GHz/Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA/EVGA GTX 1080SC/Corsair LPX 16GB/Corsair 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/SOUND BLASTER ZX/Samsung 850 Pro x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/Oculus CV
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Thanks for that AstroCat. Very much needed and nicely done.
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

Nice touch with the waterline on the naval counters Agent S. The 3D effect really works. At first glance I thought that they were cardboard counters.
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I have the same minor issue as Oxford guy.
I created a new mod using the editor
Then I copy/replaced the counters, bitmaps, interface files
I copied the Media folder completely over since it didn't exist (...Documents>My Games>Strategic Command>Campaigns>1939 Campaign with Counters and Flags Mod>Media

The initial scenario briefing is still using the original games and not the new 'germanystartmessage' in said media folder.

Again a very, very minor issue.

Much gratitude for everyone's effort!

*Now if I can only find WiF (albiet old Wif4 board game 'black') like plane silhouettes.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I played a little further.
I must've done something wrong, I'm not getting the events pictures from the media folder (included in Astrocat's attachment). It's not just the scenario start event either. It was the Strategic Advice, Conquest of Norway, etc... it doesn't pick up any of them.

As stated in my prior post. I moved the media folder to Documents/My Games/Strategic Command.../Campaigns/1939 Campaign with Counters and Flags.

The Media folder is on the same level with Bitmaps folder, Interface folder, Scripts folder, campaign settings and localization text file. The PNG files in the media folder are the new ones.

Do I need to make any other adjustments?

Thanks in advance.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I've had similar problems in the past, and unfortunately I couldn't figure out what was going on at all. I ended up renaming some of the files so that they were unique to the mod and therefore not shared with the original campaign.
Also, empty your Recycle Bin [this may be unnecessary now but it was true a long time ago].
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Well emptying the recycle bin doesn't do it by itself.
If I rename the files, what do I have to change to have the script call the correct (renamed) .png file?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Ok then, the Recycle Bin may have been removed as an issue, but it only takes a second to try.
I don't know exactly what you are doing, but I'll give you one example and then maybe you can glean what you can try.

I changed the 'german_report_sealion1' but it still read the original. So in my mods' media folder I renamed the file to 'german_report_sealion2'. Then I go to the Popup Script [in the mod, not the original], Ctrl+F to search for 'german_report_sealion1', and rename it to 'german_report_sealion2'. Now it works as intended.

Also, you do not need to copy all of the original files into your mod. You can make folders in your mod [media, scripts, etc.] and only add in what is specific for your mod. This will save a ton of file size [:)]

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”