Stacking?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

lion_of_judah

Stacking?

Post by lion_of_judah »

I have one question. Why was stacking of units not added into this game
Goodmongo

RE: Stacking?

Post by Goodmongo »

Because it was a bad idea for the mechanics of this game.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

I particularly like the dynamic movement in the game which as well as allowing exploitation or fighting retreats also enables the attacker and counter-attacker to utilise additional units in an attack.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Why stacking should be added?
So that a human Poland Player stacks 12 units into Warsaw on Turn1?

It's not a mechanic that works with this specific game.
Ason

Post by Ason »

12 units??(not sure where you pull that number from) No... the thing you describe wouldn't work... im pretty sure nobody is asking for unlimited stacking...

There could be a limit you know, with some tweaking to the game and rules im sure it would work...

But the game is good like this aswell. But could be better with some minor limited stacking.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

The number is just random. I could have written 1239028198 for the same effect!
Bmorgan077

Post by Bmorgan077 »

The only stacking that I think is needed is to be able to put 1 land unit and 1 air unit in the same hex.
For example. Malta is a small (1 hex) island but in ww2 it had 3 cities with ports, 5+ airfields and a good sized garrison., yet in this game, with no air unit, beat down to 0 supply and surrounded by the whole Italian navy, it can still interdict North African supply. At least this would make some sense it there was an air unit there too, as the air units were what interdicted the supply routs.
Boonierat1972

Post by Boonierat1972 »

The only issue I have with stacking in this game is with naval units in ports, major ports should be able to accommodate more than one unit per turn.
Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Vietnam Combat Operations
BobbyS53

Post by BobbyS53 »

I agree that air units should be allowed to stack with ground units, and Malta is the perfect reason for it.
"Let us cross the river and sit under the shade of the trees"
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Boonierat1972

The only issue I have with stacking in this game is with naval units in ports, major ports should be able to accommodate more than one unit per turn.

Though some of them do have more than one port hex associated with them (e.g. Gibralter has two, I think). I don't mind this too much, makes ports more valuable to capture, also it works okay like this in CEAW, though there are less naval units in that (also less ports, though).
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: von Warze

I agree that air units should be allowed to stack with ground units, and Malta is the perfect reason for it.

I agree that being able to stack a (single) air unit with a single land unit would be quite nice to have, though I doubt this would be an easy change for the way the game engine currently works.

There are other ways of dealing with the Malta/Gibralter problem - CEAW-GS added special additional airfield hexes for such locations that only aircraft units or enemy paratroops dropped on them could occupy - so you could have both a land unit and an air unit defend Gibralter and Malta - it also made it possible to invade Malta using paratroops (which in real life was the most likley attack vector, but not possible in SC3 if a land unit occupies Malta), if you could drive-off or destroy the air unit.

Another option for paratroops might be to let them drop on top of an enemy unit and attack it, but if they don't destroy it, are themselves destroyed...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”