Santa was Bad

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kevinkins

Santa was Bad

Post by kevinkins »

No dream PC system under the Tree this year. [&:]

But my laptop is still falling apart !!!

Please recommend a laptop for Command . Sky is the limit. No desktops in my future.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
severe7

RE: Santa was Bad

Post by severe7 »

A couple of questions for you:

1.) Are you only going to play command or other more graphically demanding games?

2.) Do you want a portable (14 inches or smaller) or a movable (15-20 inches) laptop?

Boltzmann

Post by Boltzmann »

Any laptop should due given you get a solid state hard drive (SSD). That is a must to have Command run smooth. Graphically you don't need much.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

My other games are Combat Mission and flight sims. But I want to be ready to run stuff in the pipeline over the next 3 years of so. Flightsims are improving rapidly after laying low for a number of year. I am looking for a 15 or 17 inch that's actually used on a lap. Mine. Thanks.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
severe7

Post by severe7 »

If money was not a problem and I wanted to get a very powerful laptop I could I would buy a razer or a Dell Alienware of some kind. There are a lot of different brands and I know that these two don't have a minimalist design at all, but from what I've heard and experienced Dell and Razor have a good customer support and don't fill their computers with too much junk.

Command likes fast hard drives (like a SSD) more than a top of the line processor from what I have experienced, but If you want a laptop that can play something demanding like DCS, you need a good GPU. Combat mission does not need too much, but I haven't played any newer than Shock Force so I don't know how demanding the later ones are.

Almost all brands have gaming laptops, but I have no experience with ASUS, MSI och HP so I can't recommend them, and the two I've recommended are the latest and best from both manufacturer, you can probably find something that fits your need for less money.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I bought a $3,500 AUD Alienware laptop in 2011. It was terrible. It wouldn't even run WoW without overheating. After a long process I ended up getting a refund.

Beware the high spec laptop. Only so much fits inside them before heat becomes a serious problem.
Cik

Post by Cik »

there is no real solution to the heating problem. gaming laptops are a fantasy imo. you can probably get one to run command, sure; but other, more graphical sims?

i have a mid-range video card and the cooling unit (fan+heat sink) is three times thicker than your average laptop. it's simply not possible to have a powerful GPU that is 1. working and 2. not melting through your desk in such a small space.

kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Thanks guys. The heat issue never dawned on me as an ongoing industry problem. SSD Drive + a medium video card + 16 gig Ram might be a the sweet stop for me. Infinitely better than what I bought in 2014.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
severe7

Post by severe7 »

I have never personally experienced overheating problems with a laptop, but I have heard plenty from friends and relatives, one of my best friends even started a fire in his bed!
One of the biggest problems with laptops apart from how close all the components are is that the ventilation ports are easily covered, especially if they are all underneath or on one side.
Through work I got a laptop that I'm quite impressed with, last years version of this. I has average battery life and the speakers are not the loudest, but and can play Borderlands 2 and many other games. It is not the fastest gaming laptop, but the metal body really keeps it cooler than any other laptops I've tested. Just remember to get the SSD version..
If you have trouble comparing different processors I would recommend using this website.
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Well, while I have a desktop, and not a laptop, I don't think an SSD is required for Command to run smoothly.

CPU and RAM to burn is a plus, though. I run smoothly with Command with a normal SATA HD. This machine was bought in 2010 for development work running multiple VMs, which it does very well, but it incidentally games very well, too. It has a 6-core Xeon (Intel X3680, 2010-ish vintage) and 16 GB of RAM. Command runs smoothly, and the game can run at whatever compression I set it at w/o freezing or waiting, so I don't think the SSD is 'required to run Command smoothly'. [:'(].

--Mav
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi guys

Its definitely not required but we see better performance with a SSD. We've said this in numerous strings. If this is one of your primary games it would make you happier.

As far as laptops if you really do alot of flight sims etc. make sure you shop under gaming computers etc so you get a high end videocard etc. You might even consider a vendor that does custom builds. I know Alienware is Dell now but happy with them and there are a number of other vendors out there like them. No bought computer should just overheat. If it does return it.

Thanks!

Mike

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk
No bought computer should just overheat. If it does return it.

Thanks!

Mike

Very true, but in my experience it was much easier to buy a bad laptop than return it. I agree that no factory option laptop should overheat unless given unusual strain, this however was what I experienced. It was a long (6-9 months) process of getting a refund and involved a lawyer and consumer affairs.

On the other hand a ~$2K MSI laptop I bought as a replacement ran rings around the top of the line Dell.

My conclusions are that a mid level gaming laptop is probably superior to a maxed out one (in terms of price:performance due to finite space and heat issues inherent with a portable PC.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: apache85
ORIGINAL: mikmyk
No bought computer should just overheat. If it does return it.

Thanks!

Mike

Very true, but in my experience it was much easier to buy a bad laptop than return it. I agree that no factory option laptop should overheat unless given unusual strain, this however was what I experienced. It was a long (6-9 months) process of getting a refund and involved a lawyer and consumer affairs.

On the other hand a ~$2K MSI laptop I bought as a replacement ran rings around the top of the line Dell.

My conclusions are that a mid level gaming laptop is probably superior to a maxed out one (in terms of price:performance due to finite space and heat issues inherent with a portable PC.

Probably a good example that doing some research ahead of time on what your buying is worth it. Hope you wrote a review so the next person doesn't get jammed up? The time and lawyer likely well exceeded the cost of the stupid thing.

Mike

Cik

Post by Cik »

i recently reinstalled command on my SSD so i have a recent first-hand account and i can confirm it runs better on an SSD

SSDs are just better anyway. quieter and the boot's very fast. probably the largest hardware revolution in computing since at least Y2K

drives are still good for large storage space of course but i doubt you need that on a laptop

i would never pay 2k for a laptop honestly. anything above the latest i7 derivative and a mid-range card is a waste i think

~opinions~
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

In doing some fact finding I see laptops ship with both types of drives. Is this standard practice? One for installed resource intensive apps and the other for data and apps like Office? I guess this keeps the system's cost lower.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Cik

Post by Cik »

sure. i have that sort of setup. 1+ tb drives are cheap, and 1+ tb SSDs are not.

if all you need to do is store files, drives beat SSDs for cost per unit of space

i wouldn't use SSDs for anything but system files and/or particularly file-intensive games.

for the average user though one SSD is enough. but i don't really see a reason to have bays of SSD as opposed to 1 SSD and a bay of drives

cheaper and mostly as functional. for laptops i guess maybe. noise might be an issue. heat too maybe.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: kevinkin

In doing some fact finding I see laptops ship with both types of drives. Is this standard practice? One for installed resource intensive apps and the other for data and apps like Office? I guess this keeps the system's cost lower.

Kevin

Yeah this is true on a lot of desktops as well. I think you're correct on the rationale behind it.

Mike
strykerpsg

Post by strykerpsg »

I have been a loyal buyer of Alienware for many years and can say, there have been some rough ones occasionally, but by and large, very robust and great gaming machines.

I too fly lots of simulators, play FPS and MMO, as well a wealth of strategy type games, many graphically pretty and those, including CMANO, I play on my Alienware 17, with a graphics amplifier and absolutely no heating issues arise. Additionally, I have a Microsoft Surface tablet that runs CMANO exceptionally well, as it's on an SSD and again, no hiccups or over heating. As others have stated, it just really pays to do your own research ahead of time. I liked the option of upgradability of a desktop type GPU married to my laptop. So, read the reviews and made some decisions. I also formerly ran CMANO on a Surface Pro 2 and 3, both with SSDs and it ran great. However, FPS and simulators don't generally like the lower performing tablet variety, even though the Surface has a dedicated GPU and i7 processor.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Btw which Flight Sim should I'd be using?

Is DCS really it or is there something else out there? I want something I can jump into quickly but not arcade.

I tried Falcon with the BMS patch but gave up trying to program my joystick. This was my lack of spare time (and patience) not the devs!

Mike
Cik

Post by Cik »

falcon's the best IMO.

DCS' flight models, damage models and avionics are very good, but it lacks things to do with them. missions are sparse, even for very old modules.

falcon has a robust campaign system and very easy cooperative multiplayer. the flight model is among the best in the genre with peerless source data and attention to detail.

it also helps that the falcon's such a robust multirole. it doesn't get boring because when you get tired of A-A, you can employ 50 different types of A-G ordnance with 5+ attack methods in day, night, rough weather, clear weather, in 5 different distinct regions with their own campaign.

if you like WWII the IL-2 cliffs of dover ATAG mod is also very good. adversarial multiplayer is very good fun. it's a very gritty close-in game with an absolutely excellent sound engine.

turn down your subwoofer before you fire the kurfurst's cannons. my god. shook my house!

i don't mean to discount DCS though. it does things that no other sim does; has very cool rotary-wing platforms and a decent shared multiplayer environment. it's just that if you play a lot of sims you might run out of stuff to do.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”