New Game?

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic. With this military juggernaut of the ancient world at your disposal, you will vie for control over Italy, Carthage, Spain and the Mediterranean Sea using a combination of strategic political maneuvering and sheer tactical skill both on land and sea. Play consists of two layers; the first is a strategic layer where you must prudently steer your forces to the destruction of Rome’s army and the ultimate destruction of the Republic and city itself. At your disposal are a variety of unit types and historical commanders from which to form your armies. On the tactical scale, when meeting the enemy in battle, skilled leadership and a knack for war come into play as you use a simple but engaging battle system to best your opponents.

Moderator: mercenarius

Dual_CoRed

RE: New Game?

Post by Dual_CoRed »

Hannibal is a brilliant game with a ton of strategy. Really hope you release the new game as well, it will be an instant purchase for me!
tombo

Post by tombo »

...update please

cheers
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

ORIGINAL: tombo

...update please

cheers

Well, I am still working on the game, of course, sometimes full time (and occasionally not). I hope to have enough progress in the administrative interface to allow me to do some focus testing with a few select testers around the end of the month. I won't have new screen shots to post until I finish that and nail down a few things. And commission some new artwork.

But the game is progressing. [:)]

Thanks for asking!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for the update. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Do you have a general idea when The Fall of Rome will be ready for release?

The screenshots looks amazing. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Well, I really hope to make the autumn of 2017. Summer would be nice, but I don't think that I'll get there because of time spent on contract work. But I think that autumn is possible.
The screenshots looks amazing.

Thank you!

I wish I were closer to finishing the game, but it's just so big.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

ORIGINAL: mercenarius

Well, I really hope to make the autumn of 2017. Summer would be nice, but I don't think that I'll get there because of time spent on contract work. But I think that autumn is possible.

Thank you!

Good to hear that progress is being made on this game. Looking forward to playing it
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you!

Thank you for the update. [:)]

I do not mind waiting a year for the game since I expect it will be even greater than Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War. [&o]

And I do appreciate the posts you make, so that I see that the work on the game continues. [:)]
Orm

Post by Orm »

Happy New Year guys.

And there is a possibility that the new year will bring the new game. [:)]
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Thank you!

Mercenarius,

By any chance have you played SPI's Fall of Rome board game? It was one of my favorites.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8326/fall-rome

Attachments
fallofrome.jpg
fallofrome.jpg (317.23 KiB) Viewed 145 times
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

By any chance have you played SPI's Fall of Rome board game? It was one of my favorites.

Yes, I have. I thought that it was one of John Young's most interesting designs.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Looking forward for this game too...😃

Happy new year
Former AJE team member
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Thank you!

Mercenarius,

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8326/fall-rome

I remember that game fondly, it takes me way back to the seventies. It was one of my favorites because it was a solitaire game on one of my favorite historical periods. I played it for many, many hours. Thanks for the reminder of that interesting game.
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Still waiting eagerly for this new game.

A while ago I replayed Hannibal and almost managed to capture Rome. It was just as fun as it always is!

Maybe some new screenshots while we wait? :)
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: PJJ

Still waiting eagerly for this new game.

A while ago I replayed Hannibal and almost managed to capture Rome. It was just as fun as it always is!

Maybe some new screenshots while we wait? :)
Hear, hear.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Hello Everyone!

I am working on two or three things in the game right now, more or less at the same time, and all of them are somewhat incomplete. Also, the sections that I am working on right now all use placeholder graphics. So I don't want to post anything new on my website, but I am going to post a few screen shots here in the next couple of days. I tried to get it ready for today, but it just didn't happen.

Thanks for asking!
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Here is a screen shot of one section from the Administrative Functions available to Roman players. You can see the section on the right which defines the various departments. Obviously, the department for dealing with finances is selected.

There is a summary on the left and a section for policies and one user preference. The unit of accounting is purely a user preference and doesn't affect anything but the formatting of text used to display monetary values.

The other settings are minor policies which can be changed on a whim.

The Major Enactments are going to be policies and decisions which require you to use an activation. The idea is that the bureaucracy must be consulted, messages dispatched, etc.

These are placeholder graphics, so, yes, they don't look that great. Many other departments will work like this - a summary, some minor policies, and then Major Enactments. You can expand or collapse the minor summary areas as needed.

This is still being refined, but represents the state of Aurelian's finances at the beginning of the Restitutor Orbis scenario. The revenue is low because many provinces are supporting Quintillus, the Senate's recognized emperor. After you crush Quintillus, you can petition the Senate for recognition and then things will look much better.

Attachments
AdminFi..Sample.jpg
AdminFi..Sample.jpg (294.17 KiB) Viewed 145 times
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
Evil Steve

Post by Evil Steve »

thanks for the update! i'm really looking forward to when this comes out. best wishes.
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Looks very promising! Those different functions seem more complicated than anything in Hannibal. That should be good for replayability!

I noticed you wrote "Functions available to Roman players" - is it very different for non-Roman factions?
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

There will be some scenarios in which you can play the Persian or Parthian side. Their administrative choices will be somewhat different. Some of them will fairly similar but a few will be quite different.

Also, in a couple of scenarios you will be able to play one of the barbarian factions and certainly many if not most of their administrative choices should be very different.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War”