Hotfix 1.09.02 file for public beta users

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Joel Billings

Hotfix 1.09.02 file for public beta users

Post by Joel Billings »

Attached you'll find a hotfix zip file for those of you using the public beta version. This contains a 1.09.02 public beta version exe file. Just unzip this into your Gary Grigsby's War in the East directory that contains your exe file. We hope to have a normal public beta installer update available by the middle of January once Matrix returns from their holiday break. Thanks to morvael for his continued work on WitE. Here's his changelog for this version:

New features
1. Changed the way current turn losses are calculated and displayed. No longer they are reset after the first visit to the losses screen. Current turn losses (for both players) are now automatically reset at the start of each logistics phase. However, previous values of current turn losses are recorded just before that reset, and are added to the current values in the appropriate column on the losses screen. This means that for every player current turn losses show losses incurred since the start of the enemy player’s logistics phase. Unfortunately, due to data constraints current turn losses for individual ground elements and aircraft include only the losses since the start of last logistics phase. This information may not be accurate during the first two player turns for ongoing games.
2. Half of elements damaged during the current turn will no longer sometimes count as losses for the purposes of victory calculations, only permanent losses will count.
3. Reduced the chance of manpower factories being lost when a city suffered damage or (especially) was captured.
4. Occupied city manpower attrition will now happen only to German cities before 1/45, and Soviet cities (with the exception of cities considered to be part of Finland and Rumania) before 1/43.
5. Axis player will now get information about the total population that has migrated in their logistics phase log, just like the Soviet player. Also, both sides will now get information about the total population that is missing. This information may not be accurate for ongoing games.
6. Increased maximum shipping and amphibious capabilities of both sides by 50% to take into account increased unit load costs. The speed at which shipping and amphibious points are accumulated was not changed.
7. German aircraft production will be no longer reduced to 75% of ground production in 1945.
8. Reverted new feature #10 and #16 from 1.09.01, since they reduced bombing efficiency too much and altered inter-plane type balance.

Bug fixes
1. Fixed a bug where the number of damaged men was fluctuating up and down while combat was observed on higher message level setting. The game will no longer try to add an estimate of men that may become disabled once damaged elements will be lost or returned to the pool during next friendly logistics phase. Only really disabled men will now count as damaged.
2. Fixed a bug where only the last set of AA weapons fired was displayed in combat report, when multiple flights (batch of planes from a single air group) flew during a single air mission.
3. Fixed a bug where scroll button would not appear on offline combat report for city bombing missions. It should now appear more often, but there is no guarantee it will work every time.
4. Fixed a bug where hidden log was exported to the text file.
5. Fixed a bug where the percentage of supply on hand at the start of resupply was unnecessarily doubled.
6. Fixed a bug where HQ units (including air bases and rail repair units) were forcing partisans to relocate upon being unloaded.
7. Fixed a bug where isolated city manpower attrition might have been improperly calculated in case of multiple manpower factories in the same city, and also recorded as lost by a wrong player.
8. Fixed a bug where damaged (or captured) city manpower attrition might have been recorded as lost by a wrong player.
9. Fixed a bug where occupied city manpower attrition for Axis cities happened during Soviet logistics phase.
10. Fixed a bug where truck changes might not have been properly recorded for some withdrawing Soviet units (though they rarely withdraw, at least in campaigns).
11. Fixed a bug where entrained combat units that have retreated from battle were not detrained.
12. Fixed a bug where it was possible to move units stopped at sea to an adjacent land hex using normal movement, bypassing amphibious restrictions.
13. Fixed a bug where it was impossible to continue naval/amphibious movement of units stopped at sea.
14. Fixed a bug where it was possible to unload units at sea.
15. Fixed a bug where Soviet motorized divisions were not given new number upon being reformed as or upgraded to rifle divisions, if there already was another rifle division with the same number.
16. Fixed a bug where it was impossible to assign an existing support unit from higher HQ(s) using the “ASSIGN” function, if that support unit’s TOE was not yet available.
17. Fixed a bug where depleted units were not automatically relocated (or destroyed if isolated) like routed units, and could be attacked, but didn’t show up in battle report (resulting in battles with no one, if all of the defending units were depleted).
Attachments
War_in_the..x1.09.02.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 525 times
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
morvael

RE: Hotfix 1.09.02 file for public beta users

Post by morvael »

This was supposed to be a Christmas present, but I took extra time to make sure it works properly, so now it's more of a New Year's gift [:)]
Icier

Post by Icier »

I am the bearer of bad news...application wont work if you dont have a steam link on your computer.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Icier

Post by Icier »

installed steam...just loaded the hotfix in...only want to confirm the its only the exe file that is changed to 1.09.02
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I have the same issue, I get a Fatal Error Code#801
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: Ice

installed steam...just loaded the hotfix in...only want to confirm the its only the exe file that is changed to 1.09.02

Yes, only exe (there was also translation file, but it will come with proper installer).
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: Ice

I am the bearer of bad news...application wont work if you dont have a steam link on your computer.

Sorry to hear that, with over 200 Steam games I don't have a machine where it is not installed. Anyway, the released .exe files are built by Helpless and he's away now, so I'm afraid you need to find a workaround (install Steam) for now, as I can't help you.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Can't confirm this Steam issue here - tested on a XP and Win7 VM with no Steam installed.
Just to confirm - you had the file unpacked and overwritten the original game executable ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

This is rather annoying... Another earlier War in the East Hotfix did the same thing...

FYI, I buy games from Matrix to specifically avoid Steam whenever I can. In particular, I don't want to have to log in to Steam just to get an update to work for a Matrix game because Steam has the annoying habit of updating all the Steam games that need updates since the last time I was on it AND then I'm pinned to waiting for those updates to complete OR I can't play those particular games.

How about ensuring this doesn't happen again.
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Strange, I have Steam, but it is offline and I have never got WitE linked to Steam. This Exe file launches the game without problems...

Regards
Former AJE team member
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Uh... loaded 9.02 from Matrix and it works. Why such issues?
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe people get a warning about missing steam dll when they try to run the exe in wrong folder (separate from the game). Even non-steam version requires that file, but not full steam.
TAIL_GUNNER

Post by TAIL_GUNNER »

I got the Steam warning too...but just copied this .exe file over to my Matrix folder and replaced the old one with this one. The new file was smaller though...should I have not done this?

It loads, but still shows 1.09.01 on the main screen..
AKA "Juggalo"
morvael

Post by morvael »

Look at bottom right on main menu screen. It should show exe version 1.09.02.
Icier

Post by Icier »

First question on the update...it says that (German)5700K is missing, how is this calculated?
Are we talking captured /dead population .

morvael

Post by morvael »

Manpower factories disappear when cities are captured, isolated, bombed or occupied. As with migrated (manpower factories that moved to other cities), the multiplier is 50K per factory point. Maybe it's too high, and numbers are not realistic. Also they touch sensitive subject. Maybe they are displaced, hidden or wandering around the land.
Icier

Post by Icier »

that is what I thought...the problem is that we are currently fighting around Moscow & that the Germans haven't given up any territory as yet.So maybe that 5700k are hobos ?
morvael

Post by morvael »

In ongoing games the number will be incorrect as losses in Soviet cities were recorded in Axis variable by the old versions of the game.
GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

Post by GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel »

What was broken with manpower that it needed to be fixed?

I agree steam is a pile of steam.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Great....I get Fatal Error code 801. Some sort of serial number problem. Great way to start year, probably I need to reinstall WitE and Don to Danube. No more "hotfixes" like this.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”