Europe In Turnmoil Mod.

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Biker1984

RE: Europe In Turnmoil Mod.

Post by Biker1984 »

Yesterday, I finished my first game, which was was a loss for me as the Allies. This is already an indicator for me how much I like this mod as this will be a though nut to crack.
I lost Stalingrad, Leningrad and the Germans are now on next to the Moscow. I didn't have the strength to support all three fronts so early in the war, as such I'm going to restart and better prepare to counter the next Barbarossa. The combination of this mod and the AI is in my opinion an indicator how good the AI can perform in certain situations. The retreat feauture how frustrating it is would be good to have in the Vanilla game as well (at least in solo games).
The major benefit for the Axis in this mod is that during the Spring, Summer and Autumn period they have 2 times the total amount of time to conquer France and the SU. Their infantry techlevel is often 2 levels better as the overall SU/UK. The concept that a unit will retreat with low morale is really interesting as 3 successful attacks in a row will most likely retreat the best defenders in cities or behind rivers. So holding cities/positions is quite hard against the axis.
Paris fell very early in May, when they DOW Belgium and the Netherlands in March 1940 and even while the capital was moved to Bordeaux, this fell a few turns later as well. One mistake was that I retreated from France too early.
The naval system as Kirk mentioned is far more lasting as you are even in 1942 hunting U-boats and the surface warships often hit eachother, however when surface warship hits the success is more interesting as well. The Axis will withhold their main fleet and not use its agressively, as such you are continously waiting when the Kriegmarine will counter.
A general question: Is it also that when an enemy warship has less morale/organization the chance of hitting it increases? I was wondering it appears to hit ships easlier when thier moral was low.
The UK is also very strong in this game I had already the best Tech level planes, all armies and all corps at infantry tech level 4 going to 5. Their losses were minimal.
One point I would personally love to be improved is that the Africa campaign. It could have somewhat more love, however this is probably a decition that is more with the general game then with this mod in particular.
Once the Africa campaign is taken care off landings (often mid 1941 if you wait on the Africa corps), landings on multiple sections (Greece, Southern Italy) is quite easy and it is hard for the AI to counter this . It seems quite to early to begin with these landings considering the strength the Germans and Italians have in the SU.
For solo play it could be considered that the Allies/Axis could get additional troops to make the Africa campaign more longer lasting.
Now for the second game.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Biker1984

Yesterday, I finished my first game, which was was a loss for me as the Allies. This is already an indicator for me how much I like this mod as this will be a though nut to crack.
I lost Stalingrad, Leningrad and the Germans are now on next to the Moscow. I didn't have the strength to support all three fronts so early in the war, as such I'm going to restart and better prepare to counter the next Barbarossa. The combination of this mod and the AI is in my opinion an indicator how good the AI can perform in certain situations. The retreat feauture how frustrating it is would be good to have in the Vanilla game as well (at least in solo games).
The major benefit for the Axis in this mod is that during the Spring, Summer and Autumn period they have 2 times the total amount of time to conquer France and the SU. Their infantry techlevel is often 2 levels better as the overall SU/UK. The concept that a unit will retreat with low morale is really interesting as 3 successful attacks in a row will most likely retreat the best defenders in cities or behind rivers. So holding cities/positions is quite hard against the axis.
Paris fell very early in May, when they DOW Belgium and the Netherlands in March 1940 and even while the capital was moved to Bordeaux, this fell a few turns later as well. One mistake was that I retreated from France too early.
The naval system as Kirk mentioned is far more lasting as you are even in 1942 hunting U-boats and the surface warships often hit eachother, however when surface warship hits the success is more interesting as well. The Axis will withhold their main fleet and not use its agressively, as such you are continously waiting when the Kriegmarine will counter.
A general question: Is it also that when an enemy warship has less morale/organization the chance of hitting it increases? I was wondering it appears to hit ships easlier when thier moral was low.
The UK is also very strong in this game I had already the best Tech level planes, all armies and all corps at infantry tech level 4 going to 5. Their losses were minimal.
One point I would personally love to be improved is that the Africa campaign. It could have somewhat more love, however this is probably a decition that is more with the general game then with this mod in particular.
Once the Africa campaign is taken care off landings (often mid 1941 if you wait on the Africa corps), landings on multiple sections (Greece, Southern Italy) is quite easy and it is hard for the AI to counter this . It seems quite to early to begin with these landings considering the strength the Germans and Italians have in the SU.
For solo play it could be considered that the Allies/Axis could get additional troops to make the Africa campaign more longer lasting.
Now for the second game.

Hi thanks for the feedback,so glad you appear to have enjoyed playing the mod,I will take a closer look at the Africa campaign and see what tweaks I can do to improve the replayability.[:)]
Make it so!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

It seems quite to early to begin with these landings
I had been thinking the same thing, as early in the war the Allies had no landing craft, and no plans on how to make any. So maybe they should start with lower numbers of Amphib's, or maybe make it harder to gain higher levels, or both.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks so much for all your work on this mod and making it available.

I'm not seeing a reduction in naval movement, however. I've checked my installation several times, seems to be right. Any idea what I have wrong?

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

When I discarded the option of ships down to cruisers in size as individual units,because it was unworkable in the Mediterranean,I also reverted the movement back to the game standard,but what I did change naval wise,was to make all ship types far more durable,the standard game inflicts far to much damage per attack against ship,be that from other ships,Submarines or Aircraft.With the result that the naval game is more or less over before the end of 1942.Where as the ships evade damage in the mod far more often,especially Battleships and Battlecruisers.
Make it so!
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks for responding concerning the naval game. During playtesting I played several vanilla campaigns up to around '42 (lots of restarts due to new versions) and your mod definitely gives me a more historical sense, with the broader OOB, simultaneous turns, etc. Further play may point out a need to ratchet down the PPs per turn, perhaps.

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have to say that simultaneous turns,plus the addition of many Divisions available to all sides especially Germany and Russia,makes for a more historical feel,I tried playing with the standard game,but it just does not do it for me,the naval game is a joke,abstract or not its a load of Nonsense! Naval warfare is completely different from the land campaign,and it just does not work,having it play like it just an extension of the land warfare.One thing I would like to see is a stacking system incorporated.
Make it so!
RussW

Post by RussW »

Thanks Kirk
Dowmloading it now and gonna give it a spin,
Semper Fi
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: RussW

Thanks Kirk
Dowmloading it now and gonna give it a spin,

Cheers! I hope you find it interesting and a new challenge.[:)]
Make it so!
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: kirk23
I have to say that simultaneous turns,plus the addition of many Divisions available to all sides especially Germany and Russia,makes for a more historical feel,I tried playing with the standard game,but it just does not do it for me,the naval game is a joke,abstract or not its a load of Nonsense! Naval warfare is completely different from the land campaign,and it just does not work,having it play like it just an extension of the land warfare.One thing I would like to see is a stacking system incorporated.

Assuming that stacking would be a major change to the engine, split/merge, as is available in 'Time of Fury' would go a long way to improving flexibility in the game.

Thanks for the mod, which is a good improvement over the vanilla scenario. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
TheBattlefield

Post by TheBattlefield »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

When I discarded the option of ships down to cruisers in size as individual units,because it was unworkable in the Mediterranean,I also reverted the movement back to the game standard...
I had actually planned to reduce the operational range of the ship units in my mod also significantly. However, I do not understand the connection of range and unit size in this context. What exactly does not work? I found rather the rudimentary supply aspect and the rampant hit and run function for naval warfare - especially over long distances - something gamey. The "forced" change-over to the "cruise" speed for long distances (so I thought at least) could have tone down these aspects. Since I am as far away from test games as the Earth to Saturn, I would be very interested in your experiences. [:)]

Elite Forces - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4491689
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

For the Atlantic individual ships is not a problem,but it becomes unworkable in the Med etc, because the sea zones are not large enough at the present game scale.[;)]
Make it so!
TheBattlefield

Post by TheBattlefield »

OK. My question should actually help to clarify your decision regarding the range of action for ship units. Maybe my question was misleading. [8D]

You have obviously reset the movement range to the vanilla values. Why? Do task forces run faster than single ships? Have you extended the turn length to more than 2 weeks? Are shortened ranges in the Mediterranean unsuitable but good in the Atlantic? Does "cruising speed" (with nice supply consumption and attack prevention) not work as a strategic "standard" movement if the "normal" movement is reduced to an operational "search&combat speed"? This is the part I do not quite understand. [&:]
Elite Forces - SC3 Mod
tm.asp?m=4491689
Titan

Post by Titan »

I note the option for Italy to Add to political influence has been omitted...An over sight or intentional?. I do like the fact Germany has a dedicated light tanks with only one strike as that was pretty much all they had in the Beginning
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Italy political influence is likely to be an over sight I will check.[;)]
Make it so!
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Here's an example of why I'm loving this mod. The OOB is expanded, to the point that real air wars can take place. It's Nov. 1940 and most of my Luftwaffe fighters are still situated in the West, battling it out with the Royal Air Force. The British AI is fierce, and positions its fighters, bombers, and anti-air well.

By the way, fog of war is on, so that is probably not the full extent of the Royal Air Force in the southern UK.

I was never able to have this kind of action with the vanilla scenario.

A shoutout to Sipres and Welk for their counter and map mods also. The game is a blast with all of these mods combined.

Attachments
snap001.jpg
snap001.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 124 times

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Here's an example of why I'm loving this mod. The OOB is expanded, to the point that real air wars can take place. It's Nov. 1940 and most of my Luftwaffe fighters are still situated in the West, battling it out with the Royal Air Force. The British AI is fierce, and positions its fighters, bombers, and anti-air well.

By the way, fog of war is on, so that is probably not the full extent of the Royal Air Force in the southern UK.

I was never able to have this kind of action with the vanilla scenario.

A shoutout to Sipres and Welk for their counter and map mods also. The game is a blast with all of these mods combined.

I'm really pleased that you seem to be enjoying the mod, I'm planning on releasing a patch as it were for the mod, that will hopefully improve the scenario,but that won't happen until after the release of my Napoleonic War mod.[;)]
Make it so!
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

What kinds of things are you planning for the patch?

When I get to Barbarossa and beyond I'll post a screenie or two. It will be interesting to see how the mod changes things in that aspect of the war.

Thanks for making a great game even better.

sad ham

Post by sad ham »

Hello, I've installed your mod, but ships move always 20 hexes.
What is wrong?

Edit: I've seen in late your previous answer to this question. Sorry.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

In my Europe in Turmoil game, it is now March 24, 1941. The USSR just surprised me by declaring war. Here is a link to the saved game. Perhaps it may be helpful to Kirk23 in determining if the AI is performing as wished with the mod. I don't want to turn off fog of war to take a look myself.

https://we.tl/UwLG0ZNZ1u

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”