Supply tutorial?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Hoggorm

Supply tutorial?

Post by Hoggorm »

Hi,

As many others (I guess) I have a hard time understanding how supply works. I've tried to search this forum and YouTube for Supply Tutorials, but I'm unable to find any... (Yes, I admit I am not good at searching...) If you have a tutorial I'd be happy to get a link :)

I would really like to learn how supply works. I find the manual very hard to understand. What I basically do now is looking at Commanders Report at the end of my turn. Here I make sure that no units are on the negative side in the row "Distance to Higher HQ".

I guess that is a bit too easy and simple though?

Where do I place my combat units in relation to HQs, cities, towns, railhead, enemy units etc. to receive to optimal amount of supply each turn? Do they receive more supplies if they are one hex from the HQ than if they are five hexes away?

Same question goes for HQs. Where do I place them in relation to higher HQs, cities, towns, railhead, enemy units etc. to receive to optimal amount of supply each turn?

Should HQ units move as little as possible to save supplies?

How does Armies and Army groups HQ matter in regards to supplies?

Thank you very much
EwaldvonKleist

RE: Supply tutorial?

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Good questions and I would like to read an answer of the veterans myself. However, here is a Link to a document I once wrote:
tm.asp?m=4172311
It should answer some of your questions and given some tips regarding HQ position and truck saving.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

In a week or so I will upload the newest version which includes some corrections/additions.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

Thank you EwaldvonKleist,

Interesting link you have there. I was not able to see any file inside the zip I downloaded though. The zip file is no more than 1 kb in size.

As far as I understand following what you write: When the 31 hexes/121 MP distance is reached, I can basically not advance any further per turn than the distance the FBD units are able to repair the railroad? And that is usually not more than 3-5 hexes...? Advancing further than that will reduce the amount of supply my units will receive? Is this correct?
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

You are right, i will upload the newest version (much more comprehensive than what i copied into the post) next weekend.

Yes. If you advance further, you HQ-unit combo will notget new supplies from the railhead. But the unit still gets supplied by the dumps in the HQ.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

Yes. If you advance further, you HQ-unit combo will notget new supplies from the railhead. But the unit still gets supplied by the dumps in the HQ.

How many turns can the HQ supply its combat units if itself do not receive supplies fully? Is it just one turn and then it is out?

Can I control this in any way so that I can store let’s say 200% (or more) supplies in the HQ for a planned attack that will take the HQ and its combat units too far ahead?
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

1) Depends on the need of the unit and the stockpiles. Usually not more than one turn without new supplies from the railhead.

2) There are two ways. The first one is an exploit fixed in 1.09.01. Maybe this also affects the second one.
A) Place an airbase on a railhex next to the HQ and Drop a lot of supplies/fuel. Next turn rail/move the HQ forward and attach units.
B) By a HQ buildup. This can overload the units to up to 200% and generate dumps in the HQ (does the HQ still generate many dumps in 1.09.01???).
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

I see. Thank you.

So, what to do when the front is 31 hexes/121 MP away from the railhead? Should the advance be put on hold for a few turns while the FBD units fixes the railway? Moving ahead will stop the advance for sure AND it will take a longer time to recover...
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Yes. 31 hexagons=310miles. No army can be supplied over this distance.
GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

Post by GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel »

1) Depends on the need of the unit and the stockpiles. Usually not more than one turn without new supplies from the railhead.

2) There are two ways. The first one is an exploit fixed in 1.09.01. Maybe this also affects the second one.
A) Place an airbase on a railhex next to the HQ and Drop a lot of supplies/fuel. Next turn rail/move the HQ forward and attach units.
B) By a HQ buildup. This can overload the units to up to 200% and generate dumps in the HQ (does the HQ still generate many dumps
in 1.09.01???).

HQ's no longer act as dumps, you have to drop to units in clear hexes.

38. HQs will be resupplied via air drops just like other units, they will no longer accumulate supply and fuel dumps
HQ and attached support units will receive all resources directly.

From what I have read so far and I have read allot the last week the only way possible now is by "chaining" HQBU's a
tactic Pelton has posted on many times.

Best thing about it he has been using it for years which means it is not an exploit per say and can not be nerfed.
His AAR's show German troops ranging far past the rail heads 50+ hexes.

Its basicly HQBU's one turn after another, the units from the 1st turn getting fuel drops the 3rd turn in controlled hexes ect ect.
It does have limits, but if you push that far quickly you will up-set the defender and expose his flanks.

So rule change 38 has no effect on his tactic.

TheOne

Post by TheOne »

and another follower of Pelton is born.

He is currently working on a German Manual for WitE.

EwaldvonKleist your post on Supply is already in it :)
Viva México
RedBunny

Post by RedBunny »

ORIGINAL: GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

B) By a HQ buildup. This can overload the units to up to 200% and generate dumps in the HQ (does the HQ still generate many dumps
in 1.09.01???).

HQ's no longer act as dumps, you have to drop to units in clear hexes.

38. HQs will be resupplied via air drops just like other units, they will no longer accumulate supply and fuel dumps
HQ and attached support units will receive all resources directly.

From what I have read so far and I have read allot the last week the only way possible now is by "chaining" HQBU's a
tactic Pelton has posted on many times.

Best thing about it he has been using it for years which means it is not an exploit per say and can not be nerfed.
His AAR's show German troops ranging far past the rail heads 50+ hexes.

Its basicly HQBU's one turn after another, the units from the 1st turn getting fuel drops the 3rd turn in controlled hexes ect ect.
It does have limits, but if you push that far quickly you will up-set the defender and expose his flanks.

So rule change 38 has no effect on his tactic.

ORIGINAL: TheOne

Please don't make it too difficult for us to pretend this isn't you.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Good news.
Wait till next weekend and I will post an updated document.
Who is exactly working on a manual? TheOne, Model or Pelton?
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Good news.
Wait till next weekend and I will post an updated document.
Who is exactly working on a manual? TheOne, Model or Pelton?

Redbunny heheheh
Pelton.

Lets keep stuff positive Redbunny, no need to get negative about things.

Lets be like EwaldvonKliest and be helpful to new players.

Very good paper on supply EwaldvonKliest, keep up the good work !!!!!
Viva México
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

I've been watching these three videos on YouTube where it appears as if the player has no problem with supplies at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Mjn03 ... mvaP_YUEoh

Especially in the video 3 of 3 he has stretched his forces far ahead of the railhead. It must be way more than 31 hexes... Still his forces have nearly 100% supplies. As far as I can understand the only thing he considers is that his HQ units are close to Minsk, Smolensk or other cities/towns.

Unfortunately, he does not tell why he places them there (other than that the supplies are captured from the soviets).

If you have the time to watch at least the last video, there I'd be happy to hear what he is doing since his units are so well supplied.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

I have no a a wide screen at the moment, but:
-vid is from 2015, maybe he uses an old fuel exploit
-at which difficulty setting does he play?
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

-vid is from 2015, maybe he uses an old fuel exploit
-at which difficulty setting does he play?
I do not know, but based on one of your previous posts it might be both the exploit and easy settings of course. It does not say in the video. I just assumed that it was normal (as I use) and that he does not cheat.

He does however not place HQs next to airbases as far as I can see. He places Army and Army Group HQs next to the mention cities.

It is unknown what difficulty level he uses, but I think he is very lucky with his hast attacks, so it may very well be on easy.

Continuing on the “31 Hex/ 121 MP max supplies distance”: Am I correct when I understand that at 31 hexes distance my units will NOT receive max supplies? On the contrary it will receive almost nothing? Is it correct that full supply is only given up to 10 hexes from the rail head and from 11 to 31 it is gradually reduced to nothing?
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

For supply purposes, only the HQ the unit is directly attached to matters. So Usually only the Korps hq.

Yes. I am not aware of some magic distances like the 10 hexagons but:
At 31 hexagons, the unit will receive nothing from the railhead.
At 30 hexagons it will receive a little bit only.
At 10 hexagons probably close to 100%, maybe someone else has the formula?
If nothing helps run tests (create a special test scenario with the editor or use an existing campaign and create an artificial Situation which fits to your question)

Edit: The tone of the post is somewhat rude, this is not intended!
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

Thank you. I found this in the manual:

20.4.3.1. RAILHEAD DISTANCE AND MOVEMENT SUPPLY MODIFIER

When tracing supply to a railhead, the distance from the applicable unit to the railhead will
modify the amount of supply delivered. Anything under 25 MP’s gives full supply, while anything
over 25 MP’s gives a percent of supplies equal to 25/MP’s to the unit. Supply is also reduced
by the distance in hexes from the railhead to the unit. Anything 10 hexes and under gives full
supply, while anything over 10 hexes gives a percent of supplies equal to 10/Hexes to the unit.
The MP and hex distance reductions are cumulative.

Units that have moved in the previous turn will only draw a percentage of what they require
that is equal to 100 - (length in MPs to supply source - 5). This percentage modifier will never
to be less than 25 percent nor more than 100 percent, but will be in effect for both supply
sub-segments.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Ok thanks. As the MP distance and hexagon distance multiplyers are comulative (aka multiplied I assume), the supply will drop significantly at distances close to 30 hexagons.

Please note that I uploaded the newest version of my document in the "how supply works" thread:
tm.asp?m=4172311&mpage=1&key=&#4209574

Return to “The War Room”