Switzerland?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Boonierat1972

Switzerland?

Post by Boonierat1972 »

Anybody tried invading the country [:D] seems like a tough nut to crack with all the fortifications (although blitzing Bern seems doable...). If yes, how many MPPs can you expect to get, and what are the diplomatic consequences?
Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Vietnam Combat Operations
Yogol

RE: Switzerland?

Post by Yogol »

I once declared war on it, after saving my game, just for the heck of it and... ALL those fortifications are occupied with armies or corpses. But they are all forces without tech and only at strength 5, so once you got decent bombers and tanks, you rip through them. It gives you 3 cities, so that's decent, I suppose.
ILCK

Post by ILCK »

As the Allies I diplomacied them until they joined. Worked nicely to get behind the Germans.
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

It's something I always try at least once in any such game, just to see how it is handled. I didn't come around to do it yet in SC3, though. In my opinion, it should be very well possible, but not worthwhile (mainly because of the time it deducts from your tight schedule). Hitler had alot of good reasons to leave Switzerland alone, but the country being an impregnable "mountain fortress" is a myth.
Yogol

Post by Yogol »

ORIGINAL: Hartmann

It's something I always try at least once in any such game, just to see how it is handled. I didn't come around to do it yet in SC3, though. In my opinion, it should be very well possible, but not worthwhile (mainly because of the time it deducts from your tight schedule). Hitler had alot of good reasons to leave Switzerland alone, but the country being an impregnable "mountain fortress" is a myth.

I don't know... when playing against a human, I will take Swiss -in one turn- right after I get France to surrender. It won't take a lot of time, because the troops are near.

And it will prevent Swiss from joining the Allies at an inconvenient time. Swiss has a lot of troops in there: a human player can cause ALOT of havoc with it if you let them run around.
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

ORIGINAL: Yogol

ORIGINAL: Hartmann

I don't know... when playing against a human, I will take Swiss -in one turn- right after I get France to surrender. It won't take a lot of time, because the troops are near.

And it will prevent Swiss from joining the Allies at an inconvenient time. Swiss has a lot of troops in there: a human player can cause ALOT of havoc with it if you let them run around.

If it takes just one turn, maybe the entrenchments etc should be boosted. And Switzerland should be very hard to influence diplomatically - especially for the Allies.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

With the level of technology Switzerland should be pretty "easy" to take. The problem would be more potential partisan activity that would have occupation forces being in hell.
With the Luftwaffe mountain passes and so forth are not exactly that tenable (as the famous Thermopilae in Greece proved, where the Brits tried to make some resistance to no avail).

I fully agree though Switzerland instead should be very hard to influence. And I believe Germany should have an economical interest in -not- invading it instead (banking and so forth - it was one of their few "open doors" to the rest of the world.).

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”