Mid-1943 stalemate

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

kitty88

Mid-1943 stalemate

Post by kitty88 »

I reached mid-1943 and i am now in 1944 and i haven't been able to conduct a large meaningful offensive. I have used 3 panzer divisions to attack the Russian lines and the first russian divisions might be forced to retreat but they soon receive reinforcements! Is there a certain way anyone has made a large breakthrough? or is it the job of the German forces to just resist westward russian movements? Oh and even at this time my armies are very close to Moscow and i have control of Rostov.
Timmeh

RE: Mid-1943 stalemate

Post by Timmeh »

I think if you delve into the intricacies of the settings you might find it hard coded to fail any sort of attempt in 44 to advance in any significant manor as the Germans. Moral being what it is and all. Your post was too vague to say otherwise.

One might imagine things happening in the west with the Allies being the engine that tilts the board in the Russians favor.
kitty88

Post by kitty88 »

[:)] In the north around Leningrad i can continue offensives and i keep destroying large Russian formations but many more appear. I can't break through anywhere else though. In the south, Rostov is as far as i can go or my infantry divisions have massive losses. Its strange, my ground forces are stuck but my luftwaffe forces are destroying ever larger red airforce planes. what other info could i provide? [:)]
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Screenshots+loss reports+Order of Battle
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: kitty88

[:)] i keep destroying large Russian formations but many more appear.

By destroy do you mean shattered/routed/retreated? The way the game works the only real destruction is to surround and cut them off and then get a surrender.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: kitty88

[:)] i keep destroying large Russian formations but many more appear.

By destroy do you mean shattered/routed/retreated? The way the game works the only real destruction is to surround and cut them off in earlier turn and then get a surrender. Otherwise the bulk will still be availiable soviet manpower for units. And even then the quantity of soviet manpower...

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
kitty88

Post by kitty88 »

In the area near Leningrad i have cut off 7 or so divisions and made them surrender in the last dozen or so turns. Probably need a lot more than that though [:D]
GabrielBora

Post by GabrielBora »

To be blunt , this is a infantry game, most axis players forget that.
Since u where unable to win the game when german infantry was at his peak,by 1944 a draw is the reasonable objective .

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”