Game screen size of TOAWIII?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Antonin

Game screen size of TOAWIII?

Post by Antonin »

I played the original TOAW years ago and I notice that there is now a TOAWIII.

The original game still runs on my Win 7 computer, but the game screen is kind of small. My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080. Can anyone tell me if TOAWIII will be full screen with this resolution? Thanks.
cdcool

RE: Game screen size of TOAWIII?

Post by cdcool »

ORIGINAL: Antonin

The original game still runs on my Win 7 computer, but the game screen is kind of small. My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080. Can anyone tell me if TOAWIII will be full screen with this resolution? Thanks.

It does, I got it running in a window, at full screen, no black borders at 3840 X 1260. Looks good.
If everything around you is blowing up..it's us
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080. Can anyone tell me if TOAWIII will be full screen with this resolution? Thanks.
Yes, but you might want to waít for the release of TOAW IV before throwing $s in the ring (and getting charged twice).
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Yes if you download the most recent (and last) TOAWIII patch. Buy III and save up for IV and you can play while you wait.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Buy III and save up for IV and you can play while you wait.
Yes, but an ETA on TOAW IV arrival might be useful if anyone has it, so one can figure out how much to save a year before IV gets here.

Not much point advising folks to buy into a game system that isn't going anywhere. It's been years now and still no ETA on IV.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

ORIGINAL: General Staff

Buy III and save up for IV and you can play while you wait.
Not much point advising folks to buy into a game system that isn't going anywhere. It's been years now and still no ETA on IV.

There is, if there is no ETA
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

How long did it take to produce TOAWIII? How long from TOAWIII to TOAW3.4? I'm as impatient as anyone else. But the time so far is fairly consistent with other versions. Not exact but close ennough. Plus if you'll look at what Bob has listed as features you can see there are many new things going in. Yeah I'd like to see it yesterday and I've moaned and groaned and cried along with the best of them. And like everyone else I have to wait. Don't want to but what other choice is there?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Antonin

Post by Antonin »

Well, the price of TOAWIII is certainly right. Recently I was reading one of Charles Sharp's Red Army Orders of Battle, and suddenly got an itch to play TOAW and maybe create a scenario based on one of Col. David Glantz's "Forgotten Battles" books.

I was surprised to find that the original TOAW runs on my Win 7 computer, but the maximum game screen size at my current resolution is kind of small.

TOAWIII will certainly keep me content until version IV comes out.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Buy the game now and you will still play it a few years from now
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Exactly
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

As long as you don't mind playing with yourself.

Given development rate, PBEM opponents get harder to find as original players move (even pass) on.
Antonin

Post by Antonin »

ORIGINAL: cdcool

It does, I got it running in a window, at full screen, no black borders at 3840 X 1260. Looks good.

I must be doing something wrong. The game is full screen, but the actual game portion, the playing area, is only about one third of the screen. The rest of the screen is black. Also, there's no sound, even though I supposedly turned the background battle sounds on.
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

ORIGINAL: cdcool

I must be doing something wrong. The game is full screen, but the actual game portion, the playing area, is only about one third of the screen. The rest of the screen is black. Also, there's no sound, even though I supposedly turned the background battle sounds on.
it's has to be your video card settings, Your scaling settings for Nvidia.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Not sure what you are dealing with there, but there is an .ini file that you can tinker with. Make sure to check ChangeScreenResolution to Y, and then you can mess with the X and Y values. [Ignore the highlight of MouseWheelZoom, it was from another post].

Attachments
jpeg21.jpg
jpeg21.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 480 times
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

I use this Opart 3.ini (1920x1080 res, full screen), with comments (;) for those switches whose functions are known/deduced if it's any help to anyone:

[Options]
animationMovementTimer=10
animationCombatTimer=25
airAssistant=N
;Y=Turn on One's Air Assistant. Good Luck!
AllCropCircles=N
;?Y=Sets Unit Range ('Crop') Circles On (at Startup?) to Display Using Unit Visibility Button in Control Panel.
;Unit Visibility Button Cycles through 4 views:
;All Units Visible, Units/Current Unit's CC Visible, Units & All Units' CCs Visible, No Units/CCs Visible.
;Left/Right Click=Cycles Forward/Backward.
AllFormationLines=N
;Y=Shows All PO Formation Objective Tracks (at Startup?).
AllFormationLiness=N
;? See Above- Difference ?
allowMouseWheelZoom=N
;Y=Enable (Default) Mouse Wheel Map Zoom Feature.
autosave=Y
;Y=Creates/Overwrites an auto.sal File every 5 Minutes in the Saves Folder.
autoSaveLargeMovies=Y
;N=Micro Map, Y=Large Map.
backgroundVolume=100
;Sets Background Volume (0-100 Maximum).
brightness=100
;Sets Brightness (0-100 Maximum).
ChangeScreenResolution=Y
;Y=Lets TOAW Set Display Resolution- Reverts to System Set Resolution on TOAW Exit. See (Max)Screen(x/y).
combatReporting=Y
;Y=Displays Detailed Combat Reports.
contrast=100
;Sets Contrast (0-100 Maximum).
doubleClickComposition=Y
;Y=2xClick to Get Group Composition Dialog.
doubleclickplanner=N
;Y=2xClick to Get Attack Planning Dialog.
effectsVolume=100
;Sets Effects Volume (0-100 Maximum).
ElmerHandicap=2
;0-4: None, +1 Computer (?), +2 Computer (?), +1 Human (?), +2 Human (?).
ElmerIntelligence=0
;0-2: Weak, Moderate, Strong.
experimentalAIP1=Y
;What AI PO (Elmer) Player 1 (?) Experiment?
experimentalAIP2=Y
;What AI PO (Elmer) Player 2 (?) Experiment?
hugeMapEnabled=Y
;Y=Allows Huge Map View.
JPegQuality=100
;Sets JPEG Image Quality (0-100 Maximum).
MaxScreenX=1920
;Maximum Display Resolution on One's Monitor (x). See ScreenX. Laptop=1366.
MaxScreenY=1080
;Maximum Display Resolution on One's Monitor (y). See ScreenY. Laptop=768.
menuDelay=1
;Classic=1 (Cancels New "Skip the Movement Popup" Feature), Default=5 (On).
movies=Y
;Y=Creates 2x BMP Files in the Saves directory at Turn-End. 1 each for Entire Map @ Micro & Small 2D Views (for AARs).
movingSelectsNextUnit=N
;Y=Selects Next Unit After Movement Complete. See nextUsesOOBOrder Switch.
multicpu=Y
;Y=Uses Multiple CPUs if Available- Sound, Graphics Rendering.
newsound=Y
;Y=Use New Sound Files (Mutually Exclusive- oldsound?).
nextUsesOOBOrder=Y
;Y=Next Unit Function uses OOB Order to Select Next Unit.
nodelay=N
;Y=Turns off Many Small Timer Controlled Delays/Animations. Useful for Debug in Computer-Computer Play Mode.
nointro=Y
;Y=Turns off Introductory Cinematics/Credits.
norandom=N
;Y=Turns off System Time Based Initialization of Random # Generator.
nosound=N
;Y=Turns Off All Sound.
noupdate=N
;Y=Turns off Many Screen Updates. Useful- with nodelay- for Debug in Computer-Computer Play Mode.
oldpathfinding=N
;Y=Uses Old Pathfinding Algorithms.
oldsound=N
;Y=Use Old Sound Files (Mutually Exclusive- newsound?).
OneCropCircle=N
;?Y=Sets Unit Range ('Crop') Circles On (at Startup?) to Display Using Unit Visibility Button in Control Panel.
;Unit Visibility Button Cycles through 4 views:
;All Units Visible, Units/Current Unit's CC Visible, Units & All Units' CCs Visible, No Units/CCs Visible.
;Left/Right Click=Cycles Forward/Backward.
OneFormationLine=N
;Y=Shows One (Selected Unit's Formation?) PO Formation Objective Tracks (at Startup?).
p0=N
;? AI PO Option- Does What?
p1=N
p2=N
p4=N
PNGSupport=Y
;System Searches & Uses: Y=PNG Graphics Files, including Support for Alpha Channel (Graphics Transparency), N=BMP Graphics Files.
polog=N
;Y=Turns on po_log.txt file in Game Directory- Detailed Record of PO Decision Making.
PORandomSeed=0
;0 (Default) Uses Next Random #. If a # Uses #. -1 Uses Random # in SAL/PBL File.
;PBEM Games Always -1 therefore Results Always the Same, so Reloads=Same Results- Allows Reproduction of Bug Reports.
restart300=N
;Y=(Re)Start in Opart 300 Mode? For Backwards Compatibility (ACOW->TOAW I/II)?
ScreenX=1920
;? 1366 Maximum Display Resolution on One's Monitor (x). See MaxScreenX. Laptop=1366.
ScreenY=1080
;? 768 Maximum Display Resolution on One's Monitor (y). See MaxScreenY. Laptop=768.
showPOOptions=Y
;Y=Shows PO Buttons on Control Panel.
sitrepLogs=Y
;Y=Creates Text File in the Saves directory with News/Detailed Combat Reports. PBEM Turn, News/Last 2 Lines/Location.
slowAnimation=N
;Y=(Significantly) Slow(er) Animation Effects.
stringdump=N
;? Some String Dumped Out- Events?
toawlog=N
;Y=Turns on toaw_log.txt file in Game Directory- Detailed Record of Resource Load/Unload and Combat Resolution.
toolTipHideDelay=1
;Seconds. Classic=1, Default=3.
toolTipShowDelay=100000
;Milliseconds. Classic=100000, Default=10.
;The 2 Above Switches work in combination- To Stop Tool Tips (Classic) Set "Tool Tip Show"=100000 and "Tool Tip Hide"=1.
;Tool Tips Only Appear if Cursor Left Still for 100 seconds, Then Only for 1 Second Before Hidden.
uberdude=N
;Y=Increases Feedback from Event Engine(->News Report)/Game Functions for Debug. Heavy Clutter- Scenario Design Aide.
unitpolog=N
;See polog? Y=Turns on unit_po_log.txt (?) file in Game Directory- Detailed Record of PO Decision Making. (?)
visibleAI=N
;Y=Sets CTRL Key when Playing AI-AI to See Detailed Information on Current State of AI for Formation that Moved.

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

It sounds like you do not have the most recent patch. Do you have this patch: tm.asp?m=3893465

cdcool

Post by cdcool »

When I loaded the game up a couple of weeks again, I didn't have to mess with the ini at all, it just worked, so I'm assuming it's the patch and my video card settings.
Antonin

Post by Antonin »

It sounds like you do not have the most recent patch. Do you have this patch: tm.asp?m=3893465

That was it! I downloaded and installed the patch, and everything works fine. The game is full-screen and gorgeous, and has sound. Wow! It looks much better than the original version. There are options I don't remember from before.

Thanks, guys!

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”