Game recommendation?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

aaatoysandmore

RE: Game recommendation?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Jafele

ORIGINAL: 76mm

To each his own; WiF is a very popular game with some people, but I didn't care for it at all. Even it if worked (which it didn't the last time I tried to play long ago), it has a very counter-intuitive and complicated turn structure, and I didn't care much for how combat is resolved. Plus its expensive, and the rule books are > 300 pp, so it is quite an investment in time and money to play... Finally, there is no AI and probably never will be AI.

I'm not interested in getting into a big debate about the points above, but simply wanted to point out that WiF is not for everyone.

You might want to look at Matrix's Campaign Series Middle East; it is a bit after your time period, but has most of the other features, including lots of randomization. It also has a very good, responsive dev team, and they are planning additional games in the series (Vietnam next in line).

+1

Competent dev teams are not usual in these times. From my experience that´s an important value for any good game.

Amen to that brother man.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

"3. WW2: WitP AE, WitE / WitW."

If he is new here how do you expect him to know what all those acronyms mean?

FFS! ;)

For some real time fun get Close Combat - Gateway to Caen.

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/506/Cl ... ay.to.Caen

TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

"3. WW2: WitP AE, WitE / WitW."

If he is new here how do you expect him to know what all those acronyms mean?

FFS! ;)

I don't expect anything. I always used these acronyms on these forums. Although I would not use them on my local Club -The Refined Art of Dung Beetle Breeding and other Trascendental Matters. In case of doubt he only has to ask.

WTF ;)

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
BellaDonna

Post by BellaDonna »

Thanks for the suggestions! My recommendation game is here! [8|]
MunGuel

Post by MunGuel »

Thank you! Great!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Command Ops may not be randomised as such but the AI is excellent and will play out differently each time.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

The life of the dew worm is more interesting than beetles.
eagle335577

Post by eagle335577 »

D.R.O.N.E. the game
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: 76mm

I'm not interested in getting into a big debate about the points above, but simply wanted to point out that WiF is not for everyone.
warspite1

CIVILIZATION II-IV-V. [:D]

What game is? After all these years the civilization series is still in the top 10 of best games of all time. In the sense not for everyone...true....but darn close. Better overall than WIF for sure, of course as always imho. [:'(]
Hate civ they ruined combat you can not wage war.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Jagdtiger14-

World in Flames. Check out the AAR's. As for your basic principles:
1. Randomization. (very high), although this game has no AI and is meant to be played vs human opponents.
2. Replay value. (extremely high, actually unlimited). You will spend the rest of your life intrigued by it.
3. Historical accuracy. (very low). While there are actual units that participated...especially every naval vessel from cruisers and up represented from every major and minor nation and air units, there are some late war fantasy units as well. There is no historical set up, everything comes down to your own placements and purchases. In a way, it would help to be a fantasist.
4. Time period. Fits.

You might want to consider two more basic principles: Game Support. Is the game currently being supported by either the original developer (updates, bugs, etc...), or by dedicated fans such as Steel Panthers (another good pick)? The other principle is: Universe of players playing the game. WiF is huge and has conventions around the world.
warspite1

+1 Best Game Ever - (but please note this game still has issues which anyone on that forum would be happy to discuss if you are interested)

I would add something to Historical Accuracy though.

The game is designed to be one that can be won by either side. For that reason there are liberties taken for game balance purposes with some of the unit factors (and no doubt the unit numbers). That said however, the game does provide players with an historical framework to ensure that each game has a proper WWII feel e.g. The Axis are the Axis - Italy, Germany and Japan and the Allies are the Allies, CW, France, China and, ultimately the USA and the USSR (there is a clever US entry system and a Nazi-Soviet pact to keep things in check). Within that framework players can do pretty much what they want (with some exceptions) although in WIF, every action in the early part of the war by both sides has a potential effect on all important US Entry - so its never a free for all.

If you want a fun - but very difficult to master - game that encompasses the entire war, and is set out on a beautiful map of the whole world!, with NATO counters for the armies, and full colour silhouettes of the ships and aircraft that took part in WWII then look no further.

Amen to those. [&o] [:D]
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

If you want a game that allows random creation try Advanced Tactics Gold.

I agree with this recommendation wholeheartedly!
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Natasha18

Post by Natasha18 »

Lineage Eternal - This is a new project, which is closely intertwined with past releases. Fans of the so-called "line" are eagerly waiting for the developers to finish working on its creation, in order to enjoy the updated graphics, get new tasks and fight with more frightening creatures. On the Internet, a trailer of toys has already appeared and from it the fans have concluded that this part will be something like "Diablo". However, this is completely wrong. Players will be able to feel all the delights of MMORPG, discover various elements that were not previously in the project. From the information received from developers, it becomes known that the virtual world will be split into huge zones. It can accommodate more than 500 people at a time. In addition to the main world, the game will include dungeons, where the structure will change every time by itself. In this place, gamers can be either alone or with a group of like-minded people.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Natasha18, welcome to the forum, but this seems more of a spam post or advert for a game?

is it your's or for someone you know etc?

as either way it's not recommended to post about games from elsewhere as adverts for them, as for one, it's not a war game, has nothing to do with the site or post, so is not only off topic, but a poor first post.

multiplayer online role-playing game so spam tbh

you will now be watched closely and any repeat posts will be classed as spam and your posts and accounts will be removed / banned, so have a nice day, stay and follow the rules and threads and talk about anything, but not off topic or promoting stuff from elsewhere on a war gaming site who mostly won't care one bit about the type of game your adverting [:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Natasha18

Post by Natasha18 »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Natasha18, welcome to the forum, but this seems more of a spam post or advert for a game?

is it your's or for someone you know etc?

as either way it's not recommended to post about games from elsewhere as adverts for them, as for one, it's not a war game, has nothing to do with the site or post, so is not only off topic, but a poor first post.

multiplayer online role-playing game so spam tbh

Here we discuss the recommendations of the games. So I recommended. Excuse me. I will not do it again)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ok no worries
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Matrix and Slitherine games. I was wondering if those here who know their collection well could recommend one to me?

Here are some basic principles I like to see in games:

1. Randomization. I don't really like to see the same thing happen every game. I like the AI to be different each time.
2. Replay value. Similar to point one, I value a game where you can spend many hours in it and continue to be intrigued by it.
3. Historical accuracy. I like games to be historically accurate, for example in World War II, not having the Axis producing Allied planes, etc.
4. Time period. I am most intrigued by the time period of 1914 (World War I) to 1945 (end of World War II). I am also heavily intrigued by the American Revolutionary War and the American Civil War time periods. Don't feel limited by this though, as I'm completely open to any time period. I am quite a history buff, so I enjoy learning about all facets of history!

Of course there can be some discrepancies from the above points when suggesting a game. I don't expect to find the "perfect" game, but those are just some main prospects that I think add a lot to a game.

So, what do you guys think? Any recommendations?

this is what's the thread starter has asked for, regarding recommendations, and was the reason i jumped on your post tbh
hingram

Post by hingram »

I have been playing lots of The Operational Art of War IV. I like the flexibility to move from the American Civil War to Modern Times. The AI is smart but playing a human is better. TOAW has been around a long time so there are lots of scenarios for it.
Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.
Cryfindor

Post by Cryfindor »

Battlefront and WW2 are probably your best bet.
You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind. Joyce Meyer

Return to “General Discussion”