WitE 2

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

swkuh

RE: WitE 2

Post by swkuh »

Worth waiting for...
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

And here is the road system.

Thanks for sharing. These pictures say a lot about the game in an understated manner.

This one I am quoting is a great picture. Good to see the actual reasons for advancing onto Moscow in a historical fashion on the map.

Those little smidges of "average" roads we can see east of the Moscow - Kharkov - Donetsk (Stalino) - Mariupol correspond to the major urban areas like Voronezh, Stalingrad, etc. right?

I'd suggest that adding "average" branches towards Stalingrad and Baku via Rostov and Voronezh wouldn't be a stretch and give some legs to prop German logistics.
GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

Post by GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Worth waiting for...

I read a post on Dogs of War were Joel Billings said 2.0 might be out by end of 2017 is that true?

I would put the link up but to new to do it.

Google War in The East 2.0 and you can find it easy enough.

Joel Billings
06/01/16

We hope that one or both of these games will come out in 2017,
although this part of the post will self-destruct within 30 days and I will deny ever saying it.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

ORIGINAL: Zort

Special rules are not liked from what I have read above. But will there anything to simulate the political decisions that handicapped both sides? One suggestion would be a scaling VP for certain cities, ie if it falls before it did historically more VPs then if it holds out longer.

I said I'd post an answer at Christmas. Pavel has added an Event Editor to WitE2 so we can now include lots more political flavour and historical impact.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

Post by GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel »

I like the map and the weather/road systems look great - allot of detail. Allot of long hours I am sure have gone into that so far.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel
ORIGINAL: rrbill

Worth waiting for...

I read a post on Dogs of War were Joel Billings said 2.0 might be out by end of 2017 is that true?

I would put the link up but to new to do it.

Google War in The East 2.0 and you can find it easy enough.

Joel Billings
06/01/16

We hope that one or both of these games will come out in 2017,
although this part of the post will self-destruct within 30 days and I will deny ever saying it.

One must have hope, but reality often gets in the way. We're making progress but there's still quite a ways to go.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
vvs007

Post by vvs007 »

it may be easier to write about the basic mechanics WITE2 for a few words (that works well, that will change from WITE1, etc.), DEVDiary or something like that? It probably will reduce the number of questions asked

by the way :)
Arms production system WITE - brilliant, but the production of tanks and aircraft bound tightly in time / place is not a good idea, do not plan to return to the WIR system (everyone chooses what is more profitable now a lot of pz2 or a few tigers) or think of something completely new??
Naughteous Maximus

Post by Naughteous Maximus »

[:D]
ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

ORIGINAL: Zort

Special rules are not liked from what I have read above. But will there anything to simulate the political decisions that handicapped both sides? One suggestion would be a scaling VP for certain cities, ie if it falls before it did historically more VPs then if it holds out longer.

I said I'd post an answer at Christmas. Pavel has added an Event Editor to WitE2 so we can now include lots more political flavour and historical impact.

Event editor would be sweet!

Attachments
cm231380..3a9e61.jpg
cm231380..3a9e61.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 88 times
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

First of all, I'm just getting into the Gary Grigsby experience, so I want to say I haven't been following this forum or this thread or anything until just a couple of days ago. That said, I am immediately encouraged by a thread that is this mature (41 pages) and still a Matrix official of some sort is still involved. Thanks for your time, Joel and Red Lancer.

Unfortunately, I looked through the first 3 pages and the last 2 without finding my answer, so instead of searching, I apologize but I'm just going to be lazy and ask directly: is there an ETA at all for WitE 2? It could be as vague as "maybe early or mid 2018", and I'm not taking whatever is said as gospel but more as a mental bookmark on when I should return for an update. Sadly, I know that not everyone will interpret it in this unofficial way, so I understand if a vague answer becomes even more obscure [;)]

To this point, in fact, it might be helpful if there is a stickied thread in this forum about WitE 2 that is informational-only (read: locked and controlled by Matrix personnel of some sort).

Cheers,
Tortuga
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
RoflCopter4

Post by RoflCopter4 »

ORIGINAL: tortugapower

First of all, I'm just getting into the Gary Grigsby experience, so I want to say I haven't been following this forum or this thread or anything until just a couple of days ago. That said, I am immediately encouraged by a thread that is this mature (41 pages) and still a Matrix official of some sort is still involved. Thanks for your time, Joel and Red Lancer.

Unfortunately, I looked through the first 3 pages and the last 2 without finding my answer, so instead of searching, I apologize but I'm just going to be lazy and ask directly: is there an ETA at all for WitE 2? It could be as vague as "maybe early or mid 2018", and I'm not taking whatever is said as gospel but more as a mental bookmark on when I should return for an update. Sadly, I know that not everyone will interpret it in this unofficial way, so I understand if a vague answer becomes even more obscure [;)]

To this point, in fact, it might be helpful if there is a stickied thread in this forum about WitE 2 that is informational-only (read: locked and controlled by Matrix personnel of some sort).

Cheers,
Tortuga

The most recent answer to this that I've seen is a polite but firm no. As with every dev since the ancient Romans invented the early internet, the official line is that it will be done when it's done.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

ORIGINAL: RoflCopter4
The most recent answer to this that I've seen is a polite but firm no. As with every dev since the ancient Romans invented the early internet, the official line is that it will be done when it's done.

That's fine if that's the official line. There are many games which put tentative ETAs at least, but I get your point. I also wish there was a way to get an unofficial date (like the one a person working on a project creates in his or her own head), without people throwing it back in the developer's face (which is how we got into this mess to begin with, I guess).

Nonetheless, I'd love a sticky on this forum which will make updating myself a lot easier... and it'd be especially useful if there's not even a very muddy timeline for coming back and checking on its progress.
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

WitE Released Dec 2010
WitW Released Dec 2014
WitE2 Release ??

Maybe the start of a trend, although I can assure you one that's unintentional. [:)] There is a post somewhere in here where I went into a little more detail about why it might take more or less than 4 years, but really in the final analysis the "it's done when it's done" pretty much sums up where we're at. When we're alpha testing the full war (right now just testing 1941 other than AI vs AI tests), that will be a major milestone. When we're beta testing instead of alpha testing, that will be another major milestone. We do appreciate the interest and I wish I could give you a better idea of the timing.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

WitE Released Dec 2010
WitW Released Dec 2014
WitE2 Release ??

Maybe the start of a trend, although I can assure you one that's unintentional. [:)] There is a post somewhere in here where I went into a little more detail about why it might take more or less than 4 years, but really in the final analysis the "it's done when it's done" pretty much sums up where we're at. When we're alpha testing the full war (right now just testing 1941 other than AI vs AI tests), that will be a major milestone. When we're beta testing instead of alpha testing, that will be another major milestone. We do appreciate the interest and I wish I could give you a better idea of the timing.

Thanks Joel.

What you said is almost exactly what I was asking for -- nothing official, just a very rough approximate. (Put in statistical terms, the expectation value or mean, even if the variation is years large.)

And, still, if a sticky happened to be made to make future searching for this content a bit easier... [;)]
But perhaps its intentionally hidden for now. I'm no marketing expert.

Keep up the great work, gentlemen. [:)]
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
No idea

Post by No idea »

One thingn, in WITE resources (the lack of them, especially crude) isnt that important simply because both sides get more than enough of them. This makes real life operations like the german 1942 ones pointless, as there is no real reason to take the Caucasus olidfields, when irl their taking would have posed problems to the allies war effort, as more shipping would have been needed to carry crude to the SU in order to keep the soviet war machine at the historical speed, so, overall, either the soviets would have been hampered or the west allies would have been (due to less shipping available for their ops).

In the game nothing of this happens. It may be a bit late to twaek the resource system to make resources play a significant role in the game, but at least giving the oilfields more victory points (to reflect their importance) would give some reason for the german player to concentrate his efforts during 1942 in the Caucasus instead of Moscow (if it hasnt fallen).
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

but at least giving the oilfields more victory points (to reflect their importance) would give some reason for the german player to concentrate his efforts during 1942 in the Caucasus instead of Moscow (if it hasnt fallen).
I've long been of the same opinion. VPs in the deep south should be balanced so that if the whole lot are taken you can limp over the 260 line without having to take Moscow. Some of those VPs should be in the Crimea too.
Something like this. +3 for Baku oilfield. +1 for every other oilfield. +3 for Sevastopol. +1 for Simferopol and +1 for Kerch. That's +12 in total.

The South is such a tough nut to crack that Moscow would still be the prefered option for most Axis players, but it would become a reasonable alternative. At the moment I feel that Case Blue is only a realistic option if the game is virtually won already. In fact attemping it might turn a virtually won game into a draw or worse.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Bitter End is a campaign with VP and it has majority of targets in the south (though of course North and Center contains two biggest prizes).
comte

Post by comte »

ORIGINAL: tortugapower

WitE Released Dec 2010
WitW Released Dec 2014
WitE2 Release ??

Thanks Joel.

What you said is almost exactly what I was asking for -- nothing official, just a very rough approximate. (Put in statistical terms, the expectation value or mean, even if the variation is years large.)

And, still, if a sticky happened to be made to make future searching for this content a bit easier... [;)]
But perhaps its intentionally hidden for now. I'm no marketing expert.

Keep up the great work, gentlemen. [:)]

Hi Tortuga I am a fan of your Youtube video's [:)] Are you going to start a GG WITE lets play?
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Hi Aces,

Yes, this is indeed the idea/hope.

Cheers,
Tortuga
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Bitter End is a campaign with VP and it has majority of targets in the south (though of course North and Center contains two biggest prizes).

Yes, but that only partially solves the issue of resources not having any importance due to its plentyness,, when it was the whole point for Hitler to invade the SU (and to start the whole war, lebensraum wasnt just more land, but land with enough important resources so that the reich could carve its place in the global world)
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Forgive me if someone posted something similar.

"Morale gain and loss National Level"

War is a Political act with a political purpose. To achieve this goal a military strategist would have to devise the best way to defeat a foe. The two ways to defeat a foe is to attack their “means” (i.e. resources) or their “will” to fight (i.e. morale). The Germans has a resource means disparity with the Soviet Union although the Germans do possess a quality edge and will (high morale). Just as a physicist uses the equation E=mc2 as the most important equation for everything they do. A Military strategist uses the following equation; “Power of Resistance = (means) X (will) “ (read this as power of resistance equals means times will). If at any time the “means” or the “will” side of this equation goes to zero the side surrenders.

Thus, you can attack the “means” side of this equation by attacking the resources or the “will” side of this equation by attacking morale. Unfortunately, the game allows unlimited attacking of the “means” side of this equation. The “will” side of the equation you can’t do anything about (I’m not talking about unit morale but national morale). Not to mention will (morale) is hard coded into the game with too many static events pertaining to a factual calendar of events of what we know has transpired in our past of WW2. When in actuality events should change based on the “players” movements in the current game and not hard coded to go up or down on a specific date of our factual history of WW2.

I truly believe WiTE2 needs to initiate a way to regulate the “will” side of this equation that comes from the American War College. The game can have certain cities worth so many Morale points so if you take a city your morale will go up and the other side morale down (could be for a specified number of turns). Gain Morale/subtract morale based on large battles (over 100k for instance) and/or after so many lost or won battles. The hard coding of the morale going up for Russians and Down for Germans should be tied to actual events that are playing out in the game being played. Not by a factual calendar of events of what we know transpired and totally unrelated to the game being played.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”