Axis North Africa supply

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Solaristics

Axis North Africa supply

Post by Solaristics »

I want to check I understand the supply rules correctly:

Bengahzi is a secondary supply center, but it is cut off from primary supply centers, so it allows other resources connected to it by road a maximum supply level of 5. Bardia is a town, so in theory it could have a supply of 8, but maxes out at 5 because of Bengahzi's status.

If Bardia is cut off by road from Benghazi, then its max supply is 3.

While a naval unit next to a port will reduce the port's supply capacity by 1 per turn, this would not apply to Benghazi with respect to its status as a secondary supply center. That is, after 1 turn with a naval unit adjacent, Benghazi would remain at 5 and allow Bardi a max of 5 supply. However damage to Benghazi from naval bombardment or strategic bombing would reduce its supply capacity as a secondary supply souce. For example, 1 bombardment damage would reduce it to 4 meaning Bardia would max out at 4. Similarly a land siege of Benghazi would reduce its supply value for other connected towns.

Even with Benghazi captured, Tobruk would be at 5 supply since it is a port, but it would not act as a supply souce for Bardia town, which would have a max supply of 3.

Is this all correct?

I'm not sure how the Malta supply event impacts this.

Hartmann

RE: Axis North Africa supply

Post by Hartmann »

You need 2 ships adjacent to a port to have its supply go down by 1 per turn. Otherwise I think you are correct (though I'm not a good witness here as I tend to forget or mix up subtleties of the supply rules still).
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: Hartmann

You need 2 ships adjacent to a port to have its supply go down by 1 per turn. Otherwise I think you are correct (though I'm not a good witness here as I tend to forget or mix up subtleties of the supply rules still).

7.16 says "an enemy naval unit", so it is only one. Although the port's supply capacity drops to 0 immediately, not by 1 per turn as i have it.
n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

ORIGINAL: Hondo

7.16 says "an enemy naval unit", so it is only one. Although the port's supply capacity drops to 0 immediately, not by 1 per turn as i have it.

The strength points will drop bij 1 per turn with two ships. Not sure about supply tbh.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: n0kn0k

The strength points will drop bij 1 per turn with two ships. Not sure about supply tbh.

Where in the rules is that? The two units, one per turn procedure appears to apply to land sieges only. Rule 7.16 is pretty clear about just one naval unit reducing supply to zero, unless there is an errata somewhere I haven't seen.
n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

ORIGINAL: n0kn0k

Where in the rules is that? The two units, one per turn procedure appears to apply to land sieges only. Rule 7.16 is pretty clear about just one naval unit reducing supply to zero, unless there is an errata somewhere I haven't seen.

No idea, I never RTFM. [:D][;)]

I've done a simple test to prove it though.

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Sir Hondo - there are two things going on here, Port Supply and Port Strength/Capacity. Read the passage carefully and you will get it:

Any Port that has an enemy naval unit adjacent
to it will not provide supply to friendly land units
within its supply range. Port strength itself will be
unaffected,

So one naval unit adjacent to a port will prevent land units from getting supply from that port, but the port will not lose strength.

To Reduce the Port Capacity you need two naval units, just like with Land Units. However, this may not be clear in the manual. Since you have already looked it up, if you tell me what section in the manual explains it, I will add something to the Errata/Addenda that I am working on. Thanks!
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Sir Hondo - there are two things going on here, Port Supply and Port Strength/Capacity. Read the passage carefully and you will get it:

Any Port that has an enemy naval unit adjacent
to it will not provide supply to friendly land units
within its supply range. Port strength itself will be
unaffected,

So one naval unit adjacent to a port will prevent land units from getting supply from that port, but the port will not lose strength.

To Reduce the Port Capacity you need two naval units, just like with Land Units. However, this may not be clear in the manual. Since you have already looked it up, if you tell me what section in the manual explains it, I will add something to the Errata/Addenda that I am working on. Thanks!

Thanks for the response sPzAbt653. I was in fact talking about supply of land units from the port, as per the rule 7.16, but my wording was a bit sloppy in places, using the phrase "supply capacity" sometimes, so n0kn0k and I were talking at crossed-purposes, since he was talking about port capacity.

Which reference are you asking me for? I don't have a reference for the two naval units reducing port capacity.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I don't have a reference for the two naval units reducing port capacity.
No worries, I was being lazy. I think the mention of two naval units causing the Port to be reduced by one each turn should be in the manual, just for clarity. I'm just not sure if it belongs in the Naval, Land or Supply section, or all three. I'll look into it when I get time.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I don't have a reference for the two naval units reducing port capacity.
No worries, I was being lazy. I think the mention of two naval units causing the Port to be reduced by one each turn should be in the manual, just for clarity. I'm just not sure if it belongs in the Naval, Land or Supply section, or all three. I'll look into it when I get time.

I just checked - it is rule 7.15. This rule applies to both land and naval units.

I'll also correct and rewrite my OP and append it below as it might prove a useful example for your addendum, as the supply situation in North Africa is not that obvious, even after you've RTFM.

BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi Hondo

The Malta effect reduces the strength of Axis held resources, so it's effectively an additional layer on top of the rules you've listed in your first post.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I just checked - it is rule 7.15
Thanks. I found that it is also repeated in 5.13.3.
Hartmann

Post by Hartmann »

Yeah, I was confusing supply with strength points here.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”