The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

What's the AAR report's name of the opponent John?
John 3rd is his handle. His AAR:

tm.asp?m=3214065
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/19/44

A quietly productive day with no major disturbances in the force. See map for nearly all details.

Burma: At Taung Gyi, the Chindits destroy a Japanese regiment. I think John is beginning to pull back his troops. We'll see.

South Florida: I'll post a time or two to let you guys know if it's too hot down that way. Back Friday to resume the war and endure the cold.

Attachments
021944Carousel.jpg
021944Carousel.jpg (766.87 KiB) Viewed 37 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Canoerebel: (John's more concerned about Celebes).

When I first read that my initial thought was "Which celebs? Does anyone really care that Kanye West is taking a long-overdue mental health break?"
Then I realized the capitalization and spelling made it a different word ... [8|]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

John's never shown any propensity for celebrities. I only get that vibe from my old opponent Paul (Miller). I won't go into that, though, as I covered it recently.

We are in sunny and hot Florida City this morning, about fifteen miles from the entrance to Everglades National Park. This is a good time of year to be down here, as the mosquitos and sand flees (aka "no-see-ums") are minimal. I grew up in nearby Miami, leaving in 1979 to go to college in Georgia. It really does seem like a different lifetime now. We'll spend the day with my mom, who just turned 87, and my stepfather, a 94-year-old WWII veteran. He was a quartermaster on a DE in SoPac, including the Solomons. He's been in the ministry since the 1950s, having at one time pastored First Baptist Church of Key West and also North Miami Beach Baptist. He's one of the finest, gentlest men I've ever known. My father, also a WWII vet (US Army, European Theater) died three years ago, but we'll spend time with my stepmother in a few days.

You gents (and ladies, if Graffin Zeppelin pops in for another of her occasional visits) have a fine day.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

Kayne West was just seen leaving Trump tower after having a conversation with him.

He got a handshake and a bro-hug on the way out the door.

We are living in the twilight zone :]
dave sindel

Post by dave sindel »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

John's never shown any propensity for celebrities. I only get that vibe from my old opponent Paul (Miller). I won't go into that, though, as I covered it recently.

We are in sunny and hot Florida City this morning, about fifteen miles from the entrance to Everglades National Park. This is a good time of year to be down here, as the mosquitos and sand flees (aka "no-see-ums") are minimal. I grew up in nearby Miami, leaving in 1979 to go to college in Georgia. It really does seem like a different lifetime now. We'll spend the day with my mom, who just turned 87, and my stepfather, a 94-year-old WWII veteran. He was a quartermaster on a DE in SoPac, including the Solomons. He's been in the ministry since the 1950s, having at one time pastored First Baptist Church of Key West and also North Miami Beach Baptist. He's one of the finest, gentlest men I've ever known. My father, also a WWII vet (US Army, European Theater) died three years ago, but we'll spend time with my stepmother in a few days.

You gents (and ladies, if Graffin Zeppelin pops in for another of her occasional visits) have a fine day.

Enjoy your vacation Dan. The forecast for Ohio is a high of 10*F on Thursday...
sanch

Post by sanch »

We are in sunny and hot Florida City this morning ...

An old license plate of mine is on the wall at Alabama Jacks's.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Wargmr

Kayne West was just seen leaving Trump tower after having a conversation with him.

He got a handshake and a bro-hug on the way out the door.

We are living in the twilight zone :]

Or an Outer Limits episode.

Or Bizarro World.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Big ol' full moon rose over Biscayne Bay last night, with hardly a cloud in the sky. Back home in Georgia, it was dizzling and cool. It's fun visiting down here, but I'm always glad to get home. The drive begins amid palm trees and fast cars of South Florida, transitions gradually as we make our way from Orlando up to Ocala, turns "southern" once we get to about Gainesville, and ends up amidst the just-harvested cotton fields and logging trucks of Georgia. Very different ways of life (although Miami an Atlanta aren't radically different as far as busy-ness and business and ways of life).

Y'all have a fine day. Avoid watching any news about celebrities.

adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Who's Graffin Zeppelin
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Who's Graffin Zeppelin
For many years GZ was the only female member on the board. She posts with a "CM Tsugaru Fan" signature picture. You can check out her profile by going to the members list (tiny text link at the top of the forum screen).
Reg

Post by Reg »

There's a story behind that signature picture.....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yesterday was summertime hot and humid (to me, not to those who actually live here). We spent the day in the Everglades, including touring a Nike missile site from the Cuban Missile Crisis days. I didn't even know that there was such a thing, and I lived here then.

To keep the knife's edge sharp, I've been reading WWII books during vacation, one about 1st Marine Raiders on Guadalcanal and the second, just started today, about 1st Marines on Peleliu and Okinawa. The latter was recommended by John Dillworth about five years ago. This is my second reading of the book.

Back to Georgia tomorrow. In the meantime, y'all have a nice day.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

yup, this Nike missile sites were all over the place. I'm on Long Island so we had a bunch protecting NYC. Some of he pad remains are still around if you don't mind hiking around a bit (and I know you don't). Worry not, we did not leave Georgia unprotected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nike_missile_sites
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Huh. Thanks for that link, John. Seems like it might make a good story.

Having cleared my own Torres Strait, it's time to make my egress from Miami to northwest Georgia tonight. We'll go from 1979 to 2016; from 80 degrees to about 50; from sunshine to overcast darkness; from busy-ness to the relative quiet of home.

John sent the turn yesterday, so I'll attend to that sometime tonight. Looks like he got more active with his air force, while the turn for the most part was quietly productive for the Allies. The most significant occurrence was a failed Japanese deliberate attack north of Watampone, Celebes, where John's little army might've skewered itself on Allied tanks and a good infantry unit. If I can push John back there, his position at Pare Pare might become tenuous, though I think he will reinforce.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/20/44

The CiC has returned from R&R in Miami. It's late and time for bed, so the map will speak for the day's events.

Attachments
022044Carousel.jpg
022044Carousel.jpg (794.78 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/21/44

Another quietly productive day as I shift assets around in preparation for Fun House. At the moment, the only hot action going on is in Burma and at Celebes. See map for details.

Attachments
022144Carousel.jpg
022144Carousel.jpg (749.46 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/22/44

Burma: John's email message: "I’m pulling a trick out of Michael’s playbook.  ANNOYING as all heck to know that an aerial ambush awaits you SOMEWHERE in Burma.  Cannot keep nine AF closed all the time.  Kind of fun ‘guessing’ where you are or where your going to hit.  Sometimes works--sometimes not but it is better then a static defense." John enjoys good-natured banter, but in this case I think he's more likely worried about Burma. If he's not, he ought to be. Today, Allied bombers hit Shwebo, Mandalay and Prome pretty hard, destroying 15 Franks on the ground. Most of the other airfields are already closed. I think the only exception is Pegu at the moment. Tomorrow, though, the airforce will focus on Rangoon, Magwe (ground units) and Meiktila (ground units).

Carousel/Big Tent: A pretty quiet day. That's very good, since all the Allied sea power is temporarily far away.

Normanton: Replensiing and refueling has begun in earnest. A handful of good naval support units began arriving today (I stripped Oz of these units weeks ago to set up an expedited logistical center at Normanton).

Coral Sea: Enemy TF showed up where none has any reason to be (see map). Too, John's subs (several with Glens) have been very buys around Melbourne and Sydney for weeks. I've beefed up patrols and re-routed the few TFs still in this area.

Fun House: Just busy behind the scenes until embarkation day nears in several weeks.

SigInt: 33rd Indep. Mixed Brigade aboard xAP bound for Batavia. Makes sense.

Attachments
022244CoralSea.jpg
022244CoralSea.jpg (658.1 KiB) Viewed 37 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/23/44

Fun House: The tremendous flurry of non-sexy logistical work continues. This op still looks good to go in mid March, with the invasions taking place about three or four weeks later - say April 10 or thereabouts.

Elsewhere: See map for details.

Attachments
022344CoralSea.jpg
022344CoralSea.jpg (773.45 KiB) Viewed 37 times
DRF99

Post by DRF99 »

Wow! John lost 56 Judy's on ops.

Were they shot down searching?
Did a carrier with only Judys spontaneously combust?

Return to “After Action Reports”