Installing official patch

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John B.

Installing official patch

Post by John B. »

Hello,

I just got around to installing the official 2015 patch (just a bit behind the times :-)) to get v. 24. I downloaded it into my patches subfile and ran the installer. The process completed but when I open the game it tells me that I am still using version .23 (see attached photo). If I try to reinstall the official patch I get a message telling me that I'm up to date. Am I missing something?

Attachments
question.jpg
question.jpg (209.36 KiB) Viewed 40 times
John Barr
BBfanboy

RE: Installing official patch

Post by BBfanboy »

I thought I had the latest OFFICIAL patch - 1.7.11.24 Dec. 25 2014.
Did you get your patch from Matrix customer support?
The patch stickied at the top of this forum is the Beta, not the official version, but it relies on the official patch so you must get that one first.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
John B.

Post by John B. »

BBFanboy, it says on the site that there is a version .24 that was available March 2015 and that's what I downloaded earlier today. http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/downloads/

But, even though I've downloaded it and run the installer I still get the v .23 that is listed in my screen shot above. I wonder if the offical download does not automatically merge with the beta that I've been using?
John Barr
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: John B.

BBFanboy, it says on the site that there is a version .24 that was available March 2015 and that's what I downloaded earlier today. http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/downloads/

But, even though I've downloaded it and run the installer I still get the v .23 that is listed in my screen shot above. I wonder if the offical download does not automatically merge with the beta that I've been using?
I'm not sure about merging with the Beta, but here is how the Beta works.

You know, from looking around, where the main installation resides. You have desktop shortcuts that you have probably customized to some degree to run AE. When you install a Beta, the files go into a "Beta2" sub-folder inside your main installation folder. There is also a desktop shortcut created that points to the Beta. Usually that shortcut needs to get modified for your Machine's particulars.

If you just installed an "official" release, then it might have over-written the shortcut that you were using to access the Beta.

make sense?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: John B.

I'm not sure about merging with the Beta, but here is how the Beta works.

You know, from looking around, where the main installation resides. You have desktop shortcuts that you have probably customized to some degree to run AE. When you install a Beta, the files go into a "Beta2" sub-folder inside your main installation folder. There is also a desktop shortcut created that points to the Beta. Usually that shortcut needs to get modified for your Machine's particulars.

If you just installed an "official" release, then it might have over-written the shortcut that you were using to access the Beta.

make sense?
Not just the shortcut, but all the Beta files. When you install the latest official update you must then re-install the Beta. The Beta relies (is built on) on the official version, not the other way around.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
John B.

Post by John B. »

Thanks for these tips! I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
John Barr

Return to “Tech Support”