SU Air Commands

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

BK6583

SU Air Commands

Post by BK6583 »

What do I do with all these units? By that I mean, in looking at the commander's report, they seem to have CP limit to the number of air bases that can be assigned to them. Since I by and large keep multiple air bases concentrated in area, they seem to be superfluous. Am I missing something here?
Telemecus

RE: SU Air Commands

Post by Telemecus »

I have not played Soviets but my experience from the German perspective is to always make a virtue out of redundancy. If your airbase is more than 1 hex away from an army level air HQ, or even 1 hex away if it is corps level, then range modifiers kick in and you will have fewer planes in action and more damaged. If the air HQs cannot be disbanded, or you would not use the freed manpower, use them on top of those airbases as their HQ and get better ratings checks.

Also if you can concentrate your airgroups in to fewer airbases(i.e they have lots of fuel, support etc.) then you will want to spread out your empty airbases so that they act as staging airbases. Your airgroups then use a lot less fuel as more of the distance covered will be flying to a staging base and less on the final fuel gauging operational part, as well as extending the range of the airgroups in your concentrated airbases. You can use your spare HQs for these. That said I know the Soviets have restrictions on cross command air operations so your own experience operating the Soviets might conclude this will not work for them.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
GabrielBora

Post by GabrielBora »

Most of them should be disbanded early 1941 to free manpower and vehicles .
long term you only need 13 (one for each front ) and eventualy one for stavka .

Rezerve front and Volkov front come with their own aircomands.
In 1942 you receive another 3 aircomands for stepe, voronej, 3rd ukrainian fronts.

basicly in 1941 you only need 8, plus eventualy long range aircomand.

For me the list of disbands includes nordwest, west , southwest aircomands in turn 1
as retribution for initial air defeats [:D] [:D]
but I rebuild them using aircomands from military districts.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Ahhh... staging ABs; thanks Telemecus.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”