MUST HAVE Japanese planes

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

RE: MUST HAVE Japanese planes

Post by John 3rd »

Yaaaaaa...I wish you could start that earlier.

Need a "Boys we have a new plane coming so I am going to show HOW to drop a Torp from your Helen. You cannot actually do this until the Peggy is here but at least you'll understand the theory and get some training."

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Need a "Boys we have a new plane coming so I am going to show HOW to drop a Torp from your Helen. You cannot actually do this until the Peggy is here but at least you'll understand the theory and get some training."

what's the point of torpedo bombers in 44 for the Empire when they have to go up against 300 plus fighter CAP ?
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: scout1

what's the point of torpedo bombers in 44 for the Empire when they have to go up against 300 plus fighter CAP ?

So just don't attack anymore? [:D]

The point is the CAP is actually more like 500, and the Peggy (T) goes really fast while carrying a torpedo, has armor, and can be used by the plentiful army 2E bomber groups which have only been doing ASW missions for a year and a half. So you suddenly can double your LBA strike ability. If the Allies are coming at you they have to come at LBA and potentially the KB too. Best to have a lot of it. [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: obvert

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

With respect to NF's, and just my opinion, I no longer value them like I did. The issue is simple: you get VERY few groups that can upgrade to NF's and you need a LOT of groups on night CAP. That means you have to use regular fighters in a NF role and my experience is that they do just as well as the specialty planes, and I have a LOT more of them to replace all the losses. Just me, YMMV.

You get more than is easily apparent. They do a LOT better than even FB at night. Just ask Jocke.

Lowpe made a list of all NF groups and how o find them. Here it is:

Looks right me .. and I will have at least that many more regular fighter groups on night CAP ... the issue is that all the IJN groups are small. 18 AC groups get chewed up too fast. 36AC groups and larger are the only ones that really work for me against the B29's at night. So, sure I fly them all as they arrive, but you face B29's at night WAY before most of those groups ever show up.

So, I build NF's, but I don't spend the supply to research them. In early '44 I am flying night CAP with normal fighters as there so few NF groups. Sure, I have all the NF groups flying too, but there aren't enough of them to protect all the needed bases. But then playing the AI, I prolly face a lot more night attacks than most. AI doesn't have HR's so B29's fly from any base in range ... and they have a LONG range.

Not disparaging anything Lowpe worked up, just I see different results.
Pax
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Dinah II is more survivable, but needs 2x AF size, each loss is 2 Babs, etc. I'm ok with my Babs losses ... I mean I wish they were lower, but I am consciously putting them into harm's way.

Agreed, any fighter flying CAP at night will reduce the effect of bombing. Kills are so rare that I do not consider it a factor.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

"That's the bad news. The good news? We have found a way for you to provide service to your emperor in the interim. Please step forward to sign enrollment in kamikaze program."
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

We don't no stinkin' Kamikaze program. The IJA and IJN Eagles are all INVINCIBLE! Banzai!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

OK, I've recently went through my air production and here is a breakdown of where my R&D efforts are going. First up, IJA fighters. Six factories for Mr Frank! Did I miss an important model?

Attachments
AirProdI..fighters.jpg
AirProdI..fighters.jpg (266.73 KiB) Viewed 121 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJA - Level Bombers
I've ceased the Sally and focused on Helen as main bomber. Peggy (3 factories) as my mid to late war LB due to her ability to carry torpedoes. Due to Mr Lowpe's success with Lily DBs, I've kept this line. Again, did I miss a model?

Attachments
AirProdIJALB.jpg
AirProdIJALB.jpg (168.81 KiB) Viewed 123 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJA - Night Fighters
This plane type is the one I relied upon other players input as I've never gotten far enough as Japan to use them. Did I miss a model or focus on one too much?

Attachments
AirProdIJANF.jpg
AirProdIJANF.jpg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 122 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJA - Recon and Transport
Keeping just the Dinah line for recon and going through both Topsy before ending up with Helen as final transport. Is this how you would go?

Attachments
AirProdIJARCTR.jpg
AirProdIJARCTR.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 122 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Fighters
This is from John 3rd mod, Between The Storm Lite, so there is NO Jack. There is an CV and non-CV line for the Zero. I have 6 factories each for the Sam and George. Did I miss a model or focus on a model I shouldn't have?

Attachments
AirProdI..Fighters.jpg
AirProdI..Fighters.jpg (258.63 KiB) Viewed 124 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Night Fighters
Since I've only been to early '43 as Japan years ago, this was based on others. Do I need to adjust here? If so, where?

Attachments
AirProdIJNNF.jpg
AirProdIJNNF.jpg (157.09 KiB) Viewed 121 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Level Bombers
With this mod you get the heavy bombers, Liz and Rita. I've ceased producing the Betty and gone with Nell until Frances comes on line. Did I do anything wrong here?

Attachments
AirProdIJNLB.jpg
AirProdIJNLB.jpg (165.46 KiB) Viewed 121 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Dive Bombers
The Val is still being produced, but I have halted them as I have over 100 stockpiled. Many love the Grace, so should more effort (another factory) go there?

Attachments
AirProdIJNDB.jpg
AirProdIJNDB.jpg (115.03 KiB) Viewed 122 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Torpedo Bombers
Very simple here, just the Jill after the Kates

Attachments
AirProdIJNTB.jpg
AirProdIJNTB.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 121 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Transport
Tabby vs Emily vs Betty?? Which do you go for? Is it worth the extra two engines to produce the Emily with her float capability?

Attachments
AirProdIJNTR.jpg
AirProdIJNTR.jpg (135.46 KiB) Viewed 121 times
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

IJN - Recon
Last one, is the Recon planes.

Attachments
AirProdIJNRC.jpg
AirProdIJNRC.jpg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 121 times
[center]Image[/center]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I completely ignore NF's as Japan [X(]. As said above, the last thing I need is yet another specialty plane as Japan.

The whole key is to pick a plane family that fulfils a need. So you will have in production EXACTLY 1 of each family. The hard part is to be willing to take a sub-optimal model in order to simplify engine production. Which is why choosing the Helen line is such a big deal.

I actually have a spreadsheet (who does not have one that plays Japan lol) where I map out what plane family will be in what role by year and when the changeover to a different family occurs.

So the families I use are below. Anything not listed like FB, NF, etc., I do not produce. Japan needs quantity and simplified production/research. This makes a huge difference when you get into '44+ as Japan.

IJN - CV
F
TB
DB

IJN - non CV
F
LB
PA

IJA
F
LB
TB
RC
TR
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

To NY59Giants,

From looking at your research, I'd say your biggest mistake so far was playing as Japan [:D]. So quit now and play as the Allies and you will be fine [:)]

All kidding aside, once you get into '44, you will quickly realize that all your planning is pretty much useless. So pick whatever planes you think you will have fun with and do not worry about choosing the 'best'. Because Japan's best is going to do nothing to stop the Allies horde that you will face in '44. Much less '45.

So good luck and enjoy the ride [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”