witp:AE windows 10

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

witp:AE windows 10

Post by fulcrum28 »

i played Witp:ae using windows 7 but recently i plan to install it in windows 10 using the CD.
is there any serious compatibility problem or it is easy to install ?
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Anachro

RE: witp:AE windows 10

Post by Anachro »

It should install easily enough, but there might be some compatibility/display issues you run into afterwards. Search for the main Win 10 thread, which has various solutions for various different potential issues.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I just loaded it onto a Win10 laptop. I loaded it onto my D drive. It ran slow with impossibly long scroll times and took 2-3 seconds minimum for a button click to work. I tried all the -xxx switches and nothing worked. I even tried changing the screen size and noted that there was no change in the screen size....the switches were not working! I do not know if loading it onto the D drive had anything to do with the problem.

I made a new shortcut and this fixed all of my issues except for not having enough hours in a day to play. Install it. If it runs too slow, make a new shortcut.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

I just loaded it onto a Win10 laptop. I loaded it onto my D drive. It ran slow with impossibly long scroll times and took 2-3 seconds minimum for a button click to work. I tried all the -xxx switches and nothing worked. I even tried changing the screen size and noted that there was no change in the screen size....the switches were not working! I do not know if loading it onto the D drive had anything to do with the problem.

I made a new shortcut and this fixed all of my issues except for not having enough hours in a day to play. Install it. If it runs too slow, make a new shortcut.
This has been raised and answered many many times. The shortcut put on your desktop during the install is NOT the game shortcut. It points to "Autorun.exe" which is a MENU (Game/Manual/Editor/Updates). The first step is always to read several of the previous posted Win10 problems threads until you understand what problems might crop up and what others did to fix them. It may not be faster than tinkering on your own but it will be much less frustrating.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I saw references to changing the shortcut which is how I learned. Spent a hour or two before doing so because I had my dunce cap on.....something that happens more often as I get older. I did not come up with the fix on my own. If anybody thought I did, I deeply apologize.

I did read three or four threads and saw two different references. I should've tried earlier but never saw the OP fixing the problem with a new shortcut and came away thinking there are several different problems. I should've delved deeper into forum history but I was at work {ambulance} and people kept calling 911. Gonna have to break the phone system next time.

If it is a common bug, would a stickied thread be appropriate?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I saw references to changing the shortcut which is how I learned. Spent a hour or two before doing so because I had my dunce cap on.....something that happens more often as I get older. I did not come up with the fix on my own. If anybody thought I did, I deeply apologize.

I did read three or four threads and saw two different references. I should've tried earlier but never saw the OP fixing the problem with a new shortcut and came away thinking there are several different problems. I should've delved deeper into forum history but I was at work {ambulance} and people kept calling 911. Gonna have to break the phone system next time.

If it is a common bug, would a stickied thread be appropriate?

There have certainly been enough questions about Win 10 and setting up the shortcut and switches. No argument from me about a sticky one the setup.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
SokoleOko

Post by SokoleOko »

Instead of starting new thread, I'll try to hijack this one, as I run Win10 obviously.

I've just bought WITP:AE, but I cannot make it work in non-default resolution. My desktop's native resolution in 2560x1080 and it would be nice to play in 2560x1080 or at least 1920x1080. Sadly, it's either full screen (horribly distorted) or 1024x768 window.

Yes, I've tried that windows compatibility thing. Yes, I've tried to put the switches into command line and doing it from scratch (not copy-pasting from readme), but it just doesn't work. Only "-f" or "-w" switches seem to work, but not the resolution ones.

I've attached an image of my command like. Am I doing something wrong here?
Attachments
Przechwytywanie.jpg
Przechwytywanie.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 569 times
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

ORIGINAL: SokoleOko

Instead of starting new thread, I'll try to hijack this one, as I run Win10 obviously.

I've just bought WITP:AE, but I cannot make it work in non-default resolution. My desktop's native resolution in 2560x1080 and it would be nice to play in 2560x1080 or at least 1920x1080. Sadly, it's either full screen (horribly distorted) or 1024x768 window.

Yes, I've tried that windows compatibility thing. Yes, I've tried to put the switches into command line and doing it from scratch (not copy-pasting from readme), but it just doesn't work. Only "-f" or "-w" switches seem to work, but not the resolution ones.

I've attached an image of my command like. Am I doing something wrong here?
I did not see a "-" sign before the px in your switches. Try that?
SokoleOko

Post by SokoleOko »

Added and made no difference. I've tried with any "-" and while taking screenshot just missed one.

Is the spelling right aside from that one "-"?
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

Spelling seems right. There might be a space between the PX and the 1920 which would cause that part to not work. Also, I think it matters if you use the "-" key on the keyboard or the "-" key
on the keypad. I believe it is key specific and not symbol specific.
SokoleOko

Post by SokoleOko »

Also, I think it matters if you use the "-" key on the keyboard or the "-" key
on the keypad. I believe it is key specific and not symbol specific.

Actually, that was exactly the case. I consider myself above average PC user, but not for a second I've considered used "-" from the numpad.

Now I can have it full screen 2560x1080 which is fine. Thank you, sir!
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

You're welcome. Glad it's working. Happened to me about 5 years ago when I installed on my last {RIP} computer.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

OK, another hijack [;)] I have this running on WIN 10. Loads, runs, color good, all is nominally OK. But I keep getting the back ground time & date box to bleed through to the strategic map box periodically. For the life of me I can't figure out why. Any suggestions?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

OK, another hijack [;)] I have this running on WIN 10. Loads, runs, color good, all is nominally OK. But I keep getting the back ground time & date box to bleed through to the strategic map box periodically. For the life of me I can't figure out why. Any suggestions?
Recently another thread on display problems had advice about setting (in Win 10) Win XP compatibility mode for the game. I would try that.
Also, is there a setting for you clock that says "Always on top". If so I would change that.

Bill Olson has mentioned several times about video memory leaks that eventually slow up display changes, and I suppose they could also allow bleed through of graphics.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Good idea! Thanks [;)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Tech Support”