WitW, WitPAE or Schwerpunkt WW2

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ClipSolo

WitW, WitPAE or Schwerpunkt WW2

Post by ClipSolo »

Hi!

I've found my love for wargaming again and got WitE and Campaign series ME. WitE really is something I enjoy. I like the possibility to delve deep into the details, and don't mind spending hours/days on one turn.

But now it occurred to me that I'd like to play on other fronts too. Campaign series is a great "snack" in between more serious stuff of WitE.

What's the general consensus here? Should I go WitW + Torch, WitPAE or perhaps even Schwerpunkt's WWII?

I'm not quite sure about WitPAE's scale, as the Hexes are perhaps a bit too "big". Schwerpunkt is not Matrix/Slitherine I know, but there seems to be very little information about the game overall, and I can't find a single proper youtube video of it...

Sorry for an open question, but I'd like to find a great game with good longevity, and of course, a living community. :) That's why I like you guys! :D (even though I've just started lurking around here ;)
zakblood

RE: WitW, WitPAE or Schwerpunkt WW2

Post by zakblood »

that's a hard one as there all good games, for me i'd go for WITW+ Torch just for a newer engine,

both WitPAE, & Schwerpunkt's WWII are in epic scale mind you so you tend to buy and then live there for a few years, with imo WITW being a bit easier to learn and master and have the time for, as the other 2 are very very long games, not saying WITW isn't either, but you can play some shorter ones in and finishes them in the same week, while the others your lucky if it's in your life time or year etc depending on how many hours / weeks / months / years you wish to spend on a given game

Code: Select all

http://grogheads.com/?p=7117
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
wings7

Post by wings7 »

On the more lighter side but very enjoyable, and with a living community, check out Panzer Corps:
tt.asp?forumid=907
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268400/
Welcome to the boards Jani! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

WitW would be my choice hands down.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Another vote here for WitW, no contest IMO.
A Sharif
wodin

Post by wodin »

Personally I'd go for DC Barbarossa..but if it has to be on a bigger scale then WITW..as your best waiting I think for WITE2
pepita17

Post by pepita17 »

By the way do we have a release date for WITE2 ?
ClipSolo

Post by ClipSolo »

Wow. Thanks for The replies!

I might get WitW+torch, as many suggested. As I'm first and foremost a gamer, not a designer, I think Grigsbys games offer me most engaging scenarios and accuracy. Schwerpunkt's game look great but compared to this community here, they lose big time (as proven right here, this was my first post and so many of you replied! :D)

WitPAE seems a bit much, and being an European myself (Finnish tbh) I think I can "feel" the western front better than the Pacific.

But who knows, the sale is on after Xmas too. We all know what that might mean. :D
ClipSolo

Post by ClipSolo »

Oh, i didn't say that out loud, but Panzer Corps is the very reason this all came back to me in the first place. :D

And thank you (all) for the warm welcome!
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Judging on the way you wrote your post I'd say go with continuity and indulge WitW.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: monjoie

By the way do we have a release date for WITE2 ?

its still in alpha testing so hard to say. In favour of quick progress is that it can draw on concepts and research for both WiTE and WiTW on the other hand it is going to be a long game with lots of dynamics so its not just a case of creating the systems but balancing etc.

There is a good thread about WiTE2 in the WiTE main forum - worth a read.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: ClipSolo

Hi!

I've found my love for wargaming again and got WitE and Campaign series ME. WitE really is something I enjoy. I like the possibility to delve deep into the details, and don't mind spending hours/days on one turn.

But now it occurred to me that I'd like to play on other fronts too. Campaign series is a great "snack" in between more serious stuff of WitE.

What's the general consensus here? Should I go WitW + Torch, WitPAE or perhaps even Schwerpunkt's WWII?

I'm not quite sure about WitPAE's scale, as the Hexes are perhaps a bit too "big". Schwerpunkt is not Matrix/Slitherine I know, but there seems to be very little information about the game overall, and I can't find a single proper youtube video of it...

Sorry for an open question, but I'd like to find a great game with good longevity, and of course, a living community. :) That's why I like you guys! :D (even though I've just started lurking around here ;)

Note that the recommendations you are receiving come from people who have not mastered, if ever actually played, WITP:AE.

If you are really only interested in land combat then both WITE and WITW are "superior" to WITPAE although in saying that not every land combat element of the two ETO games is better than WITP:AE.

On the other hand if coming to grips with combined warfare operations is desirable then the two ETO games are very inferior to the PTO game. WITP:AE not only demands good combined arms operations, it rewards good strategic play and conversely punishes bad strategic play. In strategy terms, the two ETO games are far inferior. IOW the ETO games are very much constrained to operational considerations whereas the PTO game, whilst it can be approached as only an operational level game it can only be mastered by players who grasp both the overall strategic level and handle adroitly the tactical opportunities provided in the naval/air components. These opportunities basically do not exist in the ETO games.

It follows that to master WITP:AE a much higher degree of micromanagement is required than for the ETO games. However, the degree of required micromanagement is a lot less than many would lead you to believe is essential.

The hexes of WITP:AE are most definitely not too big. What you, and others must understand, is that the PTO was principally a naval war. This is why even though the land combat portion is not as polished as the naval and air components, its deficiencies are not fatal. The land combat component of WITP:AE is any case much more polished than are the equivalent weak components (naval/air) of the two ETO games. As I said, for combined arms warfare the two ETO games don't even appear in the rear vision mirror of WITP:AE, they are that far behind.

With regard to having a "living community" the breath and depth of the WITP:AE forum makes the other two look like footnotes. There really is no comparison when considering the length of time before response to new threads appear, nor the amount of advice received. The degree of game support is superior and the availability of reliable and polished mods is substantial. Not only are there some 17 "official" scenarios (of which more than 6 are full length campaigns) there are upwards of 10 other "unofficial" scenarios created by the developers who created the "official" scenarios. Plus there are many other scenarios developed by players, some of which have received direct assistance from the "official" scenario designers.

Also with regard to assessing the worth of a "living community" one should take into account the number of people available to play WITP:AE by PBEM. Just look at the opponents wanted sub section.

The industrial component of WITP:AE is more substantial than that found in the ETO games. The combat animations are better too. The standard official maps (there are various ones depending on the desired parameters) are good but if they do not appeal there are some very good alternative maps which have been produced by the community.

Really, the best way to approach these choices is to read the AARs. Here again you will be surprised at the large number of WITP:AE AARs produced and kept up to date plus their quality. If you do that, look into the various WITP:AE forums. Compared to all the other Matrix forums you will be pleasantly surprised at the high level of traffic, almost all of which is very much dealing only with the game.

Alfred
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred
Note that the recommendations you are receiving come from people who have not mastered, if ever actually played, WITP:AE.

Thanks for your excellent post [:)]...how do you know who has played or mastered War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition? [&:]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Schwerpunkt has a lot of scenarios, but the campaigns of the others are pretty stupendous.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Alfred makes very valid points. I have played both extensively and helped develop WitW. The games are only really similar in the title Gary Grigsby's War in the... and a fair whack of micromanagement. One is WEGO and the other IGOUGO.

I don't have a bad word to say about WitP:AE. The greatest criticism raised against WitP:AE is its complexity. To me that is no criticism - it is what it is. Any game that can reproduce the whole Pacific War in day long turns is going to be complex. Those who play WitP:AE are hardcore gamers and some can have a tendency to deride other games. Often the justification is based on how busy their forum is. That is a reflection on the community not the game.

I do disagree with Alfred on one thing - the WitW air model is vastly superior to WitP:AE. It has to be to manage the number of aircraft in weekly turns over a more target filled terrain where the hexes are smaller.

The WitW naval model is abstracted to the extreme. If you like naval warfare then get WitP:AE. As Alfred says if you like land combat get WitW.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
wodin

Post by wodin »

DOn't forget DC Barbarossa
ClipSolo

Post by ClipSolo »

Again, thanks for the answers!

Alfred's points are very good. After WitE (which I'm still totally happy about, so I'm not that interested in DC Barbarossa as of now, but thanks wodin!) I was originally thinking of WitP:AE. The naval aspect, although pretty unknown to me IRL, is definitely exciting and after checking out more videos (by XTRG in Youtube) the map mods really make the game look beautiful (and actually easier to comprehend) :D

What I hadn't completely realize is how different the WEGO system in PW is. Looking at the game proper it certainly seems the size of the hexes is not as meaningful, so I can't hold that against it either.

Damn, so many amazing games! Either way, depending on my xmas budgeting, both of them might end up on my HD as the sale is still available on 8th Jan. :D
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Thanks for your excellent post [:)]...how do you know who has played or mastered War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition? [&:]

For "ONCE" I'm with you on this one. How does he know what we've mastered or played and found unfulfilling? [:'(]
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: wings7

For "ONCE" I'm with you on this one. How does he know what we've mastered or played and found unfulfilling? [:'(]

Alfred is a legend on our forum (WITPAE).
I would not discount anything he says.

He is extremely intelligent and he can tell by the questions being asked and responses being provided the skill level of players.

I would not be surprised if he monitors all the forums at Matrix and keeps a rough running tally
On the skill levels of a great many players of various games. His memory is exceptional.

I have sometimes speculated that he is not a human being at all but a superior form of artificial intelligence that resides somewhere on the dark web.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
wodin

Post by wodin »

Played Shcwerpunkt game yesterday...I know it will REALLY appeal to boardgame players. For me is just a feature or two short at the moment. I love the fact alot of the German units at least have their actual commander mentioned but I'd like the said commander to have some sor tof impact on the game rate on ability. Also maybe for air units something similar with the chnace an Ace is created there fore giving a bonus to said unit..understand at this sort of scale though that may not sound right. Also a chnace of them being wounded and there fore eithe rout of the scenario for good or they come back after certain period of time or theyare killed and you can promote from a list of factual commanders. Things like that would really add some immersion and colour to the game.

Return to “General Discussion”