General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

larryfulkerson

RE: General Patton v. Larry Fulkerson Scenario #76

Post by larryfulkerson »

I discovered just now quite by accident, that when you change a factory from building Nates, say, to something in the future the factory
changes from the 'air' category to 'rd air' instead. And vice versa. So I'm thinking that maybe I should sacrifice some of the really late
model planes and engines to planes and engines I need right now. Anybody got a gripe about that?

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (221.72 KiB) Viewed 411 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Andav

Post by Andav »

I'm aiming for 510 Zero's in the pool to take advantage of the engine bonus.

You misunderstand. You need 500 of the Engine the plane uses in the pool to get a bonus for R&D. For example, the A6M5 uses the Nakajima Ha-35 engine. You need to build 500 of these engines in order to receive the bonus for research on ANY plane which uses that engine.

What to build when is something that takes a lot of thought. If you build lines of planes which upgrade to each other Zero line for example, when the next version of the plane comes on line, those factories can switch without repairing. If you switch to another plane model, George for example, you have to rebuild the factory (read this a use supplies).

There are some very good guides for plane research depending on if you are PDU Off or On.

Maybe this thread: tm.asp?m=3329605

Mike Soli has a TON of good info on production in this AAR. Skim to page 6 or so then he talks a lot about plane production: tm.asp?m=2959613

Wa
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Andav
I'm aiming for 510 Zero's in the pool to take advantage of the engine bonus.

You misunderstand. You need 500 of the Engine the plane uses in the pool to get a bonus for R&D. For example, the A6M5 uses the Nakajima Ha-35 engine. You need to build 500 of these engines in order to receive the bonus for research on ANY plane which uses that engine.

What to build when is something that takes a lot of thought. If you build lines of planes which upgrade to each other Zero line for example, when the next version of the plane comes on line, those factories can switch without repairing. If you switch to another plane model, George for example, you have to rebuild the factory (read this a use supplies).

There are some very good guides for plane research depending on if you are PDU Off or On.

Maybe this thread: tm.asp?m=3329605

Mike Soli has a TON of good info on production in this AAR. Skim to page 6 or so then he talks a lot about plane production: tm.asp?m=2959613

Wa
Hey there Wa dude. Thanks for setting me straight on the Zero's and their engines. I don't know what I was thinking. You have
some really great links for me to peruse too, thanks. I'll do it. I've got my learning hat on.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Cagayen has proved to be a thorn in my side in that the defenders are more numerous than my invaders except that the 33rd Division
has arrived in the hex and I'm finally ready to start the DA's. I've finally got the pieces moved from Manila and put them back
together and maybe soon Cagayen will be mine. I'm in the process of taking over most of the ports in the Celebes area. The plan is
to grab ports down to just north of Darwin to close off the Allied naval traffic to and fro.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (211.98 KiB) Viewed 411 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I had some armour and AA units that died in Java a couple of weeks ago due to an invasion that took place way way too early. But
on the destroyed units list they still aren't showing a cost to buy them back. I've been watching this and I'm starting to wonder if it's
not going to happen for these units. Are there some units that can't be bought back? Appearantly.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (127.28 KiB) Viewed 411 times
nikoslejeune

Post by nikoslejeune »

To buy those units back you have to click em (Unit name) first, the tekst will change from "Not defined" to the amount of Political points
needed. If Units cant be bought back it will say so at that column as "cant recall ".
So they added a step in between, click and click some more^^, this game is one big Click-fest[;)]

Omce that number appears you can mouse over the unit name to get follow up instructions.

Have a good day Fulker-San [&o]
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: nikoslejeune
To buy those units back you have to click em (Unit name) first, the tekst will change from "Not defined" to the amount of Political points
needed. If Units cant be bought back it will say so at that column as "cant recall ".
So they added a step in between, click and click some more^^, this game is one big Click-fest[;)]

Once that number appears you can mouse over the unit name to get follow up instructions.

Have a good day Fulker-San [&o]
You're absolutely right. But the new player doesn't know that and it's not written down somewhere. The next time I look at that display
I'll probably not remember I need to click on 'em first. I need to write that down somewhere. Thanks.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

New moves from Brian.......I landed in force at Ndeni. There's nothing there, no port, no airfield and worst of all I didn't bring any
engineers to build stuff. I'll have to make a second trip for that. There's no fuel there and what supplies are there are those I'm
unloading. This should be enough for about 5K in supplies. Obviously Ndeni is going to need more than that. So there's a
third trip to be made for that. I may as well establish a new sub base here as well. When it gets built up substantially.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (147.26 KiB) Viewed 411 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I'm moving units to bases and grabbing the empty ones and then I run into some tough ones. Like Boela. There's like 22K Allies
defending and I've got something like 3.7K for attackers. Obviously I'm going to need to move some larger units there to help out.
I've moved some Zero's into the area for top cover but they don't seem to want to fly all the way down to Ambon for some LRCAP.
I'm actually going to need to move a carrier group in there for air cover while the airfield builds.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (274.36 KiB) Viewed 411 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I'm moving people from Singapore to the east coast of Sumatra with a plan to invade on the west coast as well. Plenty of troops at
Singapore and lots of shipping present. Should work out okie dokie.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (281.34 KiB) Viewed 411 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

New moves from Brian. Hey you guys, Brian said in an email that his depression is pretty heavy again and I'm going to call him
tomorrow morning but I'm hoping I can get you guys to pray for him, that he can shake off this depression thing and be mearly
miserable again. You know, normal.

I've watched the combat replay and went through the Tracker info and now I'm tinkering and I've discovered that my Jake production
came to a screeching halt last night because of the lack of engines. I wasn't watching close enough and that one slipped past my
attention. I've doubled the output of the Ha-33 to try to build enough and then some for the pools but that won't get me out of the
bottom of the production curve for another week or so. D'oh.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (258.98 KiB) Viewed 415 times
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

New moves from Brian.......I landed in force at Ndeni. There's nothing there, no port, no airfield and worst of all I didn't bring any
engineers to build stuff. I'll have to make a second trip for that. There's no fuel there and what supplies are there are those I'm
unloading. This should be enough for about 5K in supplies. Obviously Ndeni is going to need more than that. So there's a
third trip to be made for that. I may as well establish a new sub base here as well. When it gets built up substantially.

Arn't you going to waste too much for this island?

Is it instrumental to or part of your plan?

Otherwise, couldn't you just place there tender to support advanced recon, or are you planning to make of it an airbase to raid or check enemy's shipping?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
Aren't you going to waste too much for this island?
Probably. There's a lot of supply to be spent for a port and an airfield. But the location is ideal for a Mavis base. And I could run
a sub base out of there.
Is it instrumental to or part of your plan?
I don't really have a plan. I've been playing this by ear almost since it started. I'm using history as a rough guide but I'm mostly
invading places I think I'm going to need or those places that have RES or oil. There's several RES centers in the small islands
just south of PI and I'm getting a lot from them and moving it to Hong Kong or Babeldoab.

Otherwise, couldn't you just place there tender to support advanced recon, or are you planning to make of it an airbase to raid or check enemy's shipping?
That's a good idea. Just move an AVP or AV or CS there to support some planes and an AKE for rearming the warships and maybe
an AG to help repair the damage. Some AO's for fuel. And a SCTF to protect them then I could raid enemy bases from there. I still
like the idea of a semi-permanent base better though.
Andav

Post by Andav »

Hey Larry,

So I was browsing around and ran across this engine worksheet from Kull in the War Room. I thought it might be useful. tm.asp?m=3200810

His post is found in this Beginners Link post which also might be useful to you: tm.asp?m=2576157&mpage=1&key=

Wa

Edit: fixed the hyper link and stupid spelling errors
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Andav
Hey Larry,

So I was browsing around and ran across this engine worksheet from Kull in the War Room. I thought it might be useful. tm.asp?m=3200810

His post is found in this Beginners Link post which also might be useful to you: tm.asp?m=2576157&mpage=1&key=

Wa

Edit: fixed the hyper link and stupid spelling errors
You're a golden resource Wa dude. Thanks soooooooo much. I'll put it to good use.

"Um.......there's been an incident"
[ movie line from "The Game" hotel manager to protagonist ]

Brian seems to have burned out and needs a break. He and I thought we'd try a game of TOAW IV Directive 21 v. 3.6 with
Brian as the Axis. He's putting his first turn moves together as we speak. So it's been fun here but I gotta go.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Would you be interested in someone picking up the allies so the game can continue?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue
Would you be interested in someone picking up the allies so the game can continue?
Unfortunately my RL comitments proclude any additional PBEM games on my part but I can send you the
relevant files and any two other people can continue this particular game, that would be fine. Thanks for
the idea though, it's a good one. I'm sort of loyal to Brian because he's taught me a lot about the
game and I feel like I owe him a favor so I'm dedicating myself to giving him a good game whatever we
play. He's a good guy from what I can tell over the internet wires. We've spoken on the phone, mostly
me asking where his moves are. He's a busy guy with his thumb in a lot of pies. He's got a lot of irons
in the fire. There's a lot on his plate. There's no monkey on his back with this guy. Okay that one might
not make much sense. And from what Brian tells me you're a pretty good guy too. Thanks for asking.

Return to “After Action Reports”