Modifying units.

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Zakalwe101

Modifying units.

Post by Zakalwe101 »

I am trying to figure out how I modify packaged scenario’s in so far as deleting certain units from the OB , and distributing the assets into other units.

Here is the problem, Hells Crossroad scenario provides the British infantry Battalion with three 2 inch mortar platoons, (3 tubes, 3 FV432 each) , 1 such platoon for each company. I don’t think that is an accurate portrayal of how the battalion used it's assets.

A colleague who served with BAOR in the Queens Regiment until 1991 said “the 2 inch mortar was only used for a short time in my service. This was placed with each platoon at the time, it was then phased out”. “The 2inch was used to put up flares and smoke most of the time”.

Consequently I think the unit should be deleted, each tube and FV432 should be dispersed amongst the fighting platoons. It should be permitted to fire smoke but in fact it has such a small smoke round, perhaps it would be best to classify it as equivalent to a smoke discharger ?

The 2inch mortar was in no way equivalent to the American M2 60mm mortar which would justifiably be represented as a discrete unit.
cbelva

RE: Modifying units.

Post by cbelva »

This was the original way British plts were presented. The problem was that the plts became indirect fire units and not infantry units. This caused a lot of problems. What you see in the game was a compromise.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
maple61

Post by maple61 »

Hey Zakalwe,
The only way to change this is to edit the British-USER.xls database. It’s located in the …\Modules\FPRS\Data\British folder. You would need to change the makeup of the Mechanized Rifle Platoon under the “Units” tab and the composition of the Mechanized infantry Companies under the “Formations” tab.
Working with the database is a little fiddly at first, but very logical and easy once you get used to it. Be aware that the correct syntax is important as a missing comma can cause an error.
Also, make sure you save the changes as an Excel 97-2003 workbook (.xls). The program isn’t compatible with newer versions of Excel (.xlsx).
Cheers!
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You should also be able to load the scenario in the editor and right click on the unit in question and choose delete. Then save the scenario with a new name.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Zakalwe101

Post by Zakalwe101 »

This is an excellent game. Can tinker with it without breaking it ? Apparently advice is YES , which speaks volumes for the game. (no loss of faith here)

The 2 inch was designed in the 1930’s to bridge the gap between grenades and the Battalions larger mortars, it’s barrel was so short that the bomb hand to be fired with a lanyard rather than the normal mortar bomb firing mechanism (gravity) , it hand no bipod, and a rudimentary sight. It remained in service because it fulfilled the platoon need for smoke, illumination and the abilty to drop a bomb a bit further than something thrown. ( suspect also the Ministry of Defence as usual left the Army with outdated cheap equipment.) It is so useful in that role that plans to phase it out and replace it with underslung rifle grenade launchers were shelved after experiences in Afghanistan.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to treat it in the same way as the American MK19 AGL – with a significantly shorter range, low rate of fire, HE ammunition only. (no smoke for the reasons given above) ?

I think I will have bash at modifying the scenario per Capn Darwin’s advice and see what happens ? I have the disc’s so if I mess it up I can always reload easily. I’m not computer literate enough to go messing with the data files.
Thanks to all for the explanation (cbelva) and guidance (maple 61 and Capn DARWIN)
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

finally lets me post something, try this older thread with a updated british OOB including changes to the 51mm mortar as part of a infantry platoon hq

tm.asp?m=3552710

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Zakalwe101

Post by Zakalwe101 »

thank you all for your information and guidance, I wil have to take my time and learn how to write scenario's using the editor, then I can look toward addressing this and other really minor discrepancies and oddities.
eg MILAN AT units, preferred standoff distance exceeds the milan max range, they have a tendency to scoot rather than fire first then scoot ( anti armour ambush shoot and scoot impossible)
remove the ferret ac from from the squadron hq unit, add it to regimental hq, it's the squadron commanders taxi not expected to follow the armoured squadron into battle. SQUADRON HQ UNIT PREFERRED STANDOFF to be the same as squadrons standoff. Squadron commanders fight with the squadron (BRIGADIER Cordingly OC 7 Armoured brigade was up front with the fighting squadrons , in his tank, during Operation desert Storm - no squadron commander is going to be behind his Brigadier !

In any event this is a great game , that I spend way too much time on !

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”