Question on naval mines

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

OnFire

Question on naval mines

Post by OnFire »

So I was wondering wheter there is a guide to the different types of naval mines in the game, especially the generic ones? I tried the baloogan wiki, and it seems like there are several types of mines.

Main difference seems to be wheter it is: Bottom, Drifting, Floating and Moored; and different fuzes. Are these explained somewhere?
mikmykWS

RE: Question on naval mines

Post by mikmykWS »

What info are you looking for exactly? This will help guide us on what to write.

Thanks!

Mike
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

Different behaviour gameplay wise.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ok give me a few to put this together.

Thanks!

Mike
CV60

Post by CV60 »

From "NAVSEA MINE FAMILIARIZER" (1982) (Unclassified) pg. 5, 10-11

Bottom mines are most effective in comparatively shallow waters....in very deep waters, surface vessels may pass over the mine without actuating its firing mechanisms or, in the event of an actuation, without suffering much damage. Of course a bottom mine planted in deep water is still effective against submarines.

Moored mines are used for deep-water plants and are effective against submarines and surface ships....

Drifting Mines float freely at or near the surface They have no anchoring devices. ...

METHODS OF ACTUATION

Magnetic Mechanisms. Magnetic firing mechanisms employ either of two types of target detectors: the search coil or the magnetometer....Search coils, as used in standard bottom mines, function to sense changes in one axis of the earth's magnetic field as caused by the presence of a moving ship....search coils are ideal detectors for standard bottom mines since these mines assume an unchanging position on the sea bottom after planting. On the other hand, magnetometers, like search coils, also detect changes in the earth's magnetic fields as caused by the presence of a moving ship; but unlike search coils, magnetometers, as used in moored mines, are three dimensional or total field detectors.....

Acoustic Mechanisms-Using a hydrophone as a detector, acoustic firing mechanism convert underwater sounds from ships into electrical signals...If the acoustical inputs then meet the mechanism's programmed requirements for a valid target ship...the mine [detonates].

Pressure Mechanisms. Pressure detectors are electro-hydraulic sensors which convert negative pressure sensings into electrical signals ...If the analysis shows that the strength and duration of a given signal meets the programmed requirements for a valid target ship,... [the mine detonates]. In performing this function, the pressure detector senses a decrease in pressure caused by a moving ship as it displaces a given volume of water beneath its hull...It should be noted that ocean swells and surface waves may also be sensed and processed by the pressure detector. However, since the magnitude of the signals produced by these disturbances is small, the firing mechanism [ignores them]. Also worth of note is the fact that pressure firing mechanisms are not used alone, but rather in various combinations with magnetic and acoustic firing mechanisms. This provides a diversified mix that not only increases the mine's detection capability, but also makes countermining more difficult...
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
CV60

Post by CV60 »

A couple of additional notes:

Contact Mines-This type of mine requires actual physical contact between the target vessel and the mine to detonate. The firing mechanism is sometimes electro-mechanical, but since the early 20th century a chemical-electrical type detontor is used due to the increased reliability. Contact mines are also cheaper than other types of mines. Their disadvantage is 1) they can be more easily swept and 2) Because they are contact-initiated, they tend to cause less damage to the target, as opposed to influence-type mines.

A couple of other addendum: A moored mine requires a large amount of internal space, limiting the amount of explosives it can contain. Bottom mines tend to be more difficult to sweep, as they can be buried under sediment or otherwise concealed among underwater features.
jmax

Post by jmax »

Thanks CV60, that's a handy primer! I'm particularly interested in what mines are in the PLAN inventory and which ones can be laid by what ships.
CV60

Post by CV60 »

Thanks. If you can get a copy of Jane's Underwater Warfare Systems, it may give you more information on Chinese mines.

For more information on General mine warfare principles, see NWP 3-15, "Mine Warfare"
http://cnqzu.com/library/Anarchy%20Fold ... arfare.pdf

EDITED: My Norton's is telling me that this is a bad site. Try this site: https://ia802709.us.archive.org/4/items ... arfare.pdf
magi

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: CV60

Thanks. If you can get a copy of Jane's Underwater Warfare Systems, it may give you more information on Chinese mines.

For more information on General mine warfare principles, see NWP 3-15, "Mine Warfare"

this is cool.... thank you....
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

A lot of helpful input, thank you!
CV60

Post by CV60 »

I just went back to this site, and my Norton's tells me that it is a suspect site. Not sure why it didn't tell me that when I went to it yesterday. In any case, probably you shouldn't go it it. I'll try to find a different source for NWP 3-15, but it will be a day or so.

{edited] Try this site: https://ia802709.us.archive.org/4/items ... arfare.pdf
magi

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: CV60

I just went back to this site, and my Norton's tells me that it is a suspect site. Not sure why it didn't tell me that when I went to it yesterday. In any case, probably you shouldn't go it it. I'll try to find a different source for NWP 3-15, but it will be a day or so.

{edited] Try this site: https://ia802709.us.archive.org/4/items ... arfare.pdf
Darn.... I downloaded it.... but haven't opened it yet.....
StellarRat

Post by StellarRat »

What about those mines that launch a torpedo at the target?
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah we have captor types which hold torpedoes and bottom mines that launch rocket torpedoes into targets as well.

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi guys,

Just an update. I haven't forgotten this and actually working on a blog entry on it.Will post soon.

Thanks!

Mike
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Hi guys,

Just an update. I haven't forgotten this and actually working on a blog entry on it.Will post soon.

Thanks!

Mike
Fantastic! Waiting for read it.
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

We've published the article

Naval mines in Command

Thanks

Mike
Bert Blitzkrieg

Post by Bert Blitzkrieg »

TOP!
Kitchens Sink

Post by Kitchens Sink »

This article is super-helpful. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”