Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jwolf

RE: Thanks

Post by jwolf »

Great news! Best wishes to you and your family! Maybe you should take a day off with them, celebrate with a nice dinner.
Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

Good news, John. Glad to hear it.

Mike
When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

The best Christmas presents - health and the love and frendship of others.
The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
John 3rd

Back to our regular program...

Post by John 3rd »

It is now mid-February 1944 and we are seriously exploring options and trying to change-up game style.

Notes on DEI:
1. With Makassar's fall I am writing off Balikpapan and Tarakan. Will continue using the real small TKs as long as possible. Have 1-2 Fighter Sentai present at both bases.
2. Moving a Sentai into both Miri and Brunei. Will use my medium Tankers there and continue shuttling fuel/oil to Manila.
3. Java has been reinforced with a new ID and 2nd Tank will be landing within 2-3 days. There are three Brigades already present plus a host of smaller Inf/CD units.
4. South Borneo is garrisoned at all points.
5. Palembang has FIVE AA units with three more en route. Have two each headed to Brunei and Miri as well.
6. MUST make Palembang as much of a defensive point as possible. Have two Sentai of Fighters present with two more about to arrive. Figure I shall commit at least 200 Fighters to defend the base.

Notes on Kido Butai:
1. I have it safely disengaged and it will arrive at its new, COLDER, base in two turns.
2. The arrival of MISTER SAM is only 2-3 months away. WANT that plane for the CV Groups who average high-70s/low-80s for average XP.
3. The absolute final reinforcement of the carrier fleet is 40 days away with last pair of Unryu's and a CVL. There is NOTHING after that.
4. Have pulled a Halsey and 'allowed' my AOs to be spotted near the Central Philippines. Everyone KNOWS I keep my AOs close to my CVs. They are not there...

Notes on CenPac:
1. All bases are supplied (15,000+) and fully garrisoned.
2. Am continuing to pull troops out of outer bases--without interference--and redeploy them elsewhere. NICE!
3. Have really beefed up my ASW Aerial commitment with Iwo Jima, the Marianas, and that other base near Iwo Jima flying 75-100 planes fully committed to ASW/Search.

Notes on NorPac:
1. Am going to convert the Kurile bases to Home Defence status. WANT my aircraft to be able to move here if Dan comes in from the north.
2. From Etorofu to Paramushima Jima have four bases built-up, stocked, garrisoned, and ready to fight.

Dan MUST open up another assault angle and I am betting on it being in the far north...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

RE: Back to our regular program...

Post by John 3rd »

Just spent nearly 2.5 hours doing a single turn. About a gadzillion clicks and checks.

We can still get in the occasional lick down in the DEI.

Attachments
21844.jpg
21844.jpg (439.23 KiB) Viewed 80 times

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Have to admit to a bit of a whine with the previous turn. Dan landed a Chindit unit at Taung Gyi, Burma and I wasn't too worried. Forts 3, an Engineer unit, and a Paratroop Inf unit holding the base. They LOOKED great until Dan used about 150 B-24s at 8-9,000 Ft to blast them off the map.

Wasn't happy.

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good
Useless British Bombers? Great.

4EB??? [8|]

I wrote him "let us all hear it for the most effective GROUND attack weapon in the game right now--the B-24! Not…"

Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

You may be in for an unpleasant surprise when the A-26 shows up . . .
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Flicker

Post by Flicker »

Thanks for sharing the good news. May you and yours continue to be blessed...

I'm enjoying this game perhaps as much as you and CR.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Just got two WONDERFUL words over the phone: "Results NEGATIVE!"

Thank God...
Thanks G-D.
obvert

Post by obvert »

It is now mid-February 1944 and we are seriously exploring options and trying to change-up game style.

Notes on DEI:
1. With Makassar's fall I am writing off Balikpapan and Tarakan. Will continue using the real small TKs as long as possible. Have 1-2 Fighter Sentai present at both bases.
2. Moving a Sentai into both Miri and Brunei. Will use my medium Tankers there and continue shuttling fuel/oil to Manila.
3. Java has been reinforced with a new ID and 2nd Tank will be landing within 2-3 days. There are three Brigades already present plus a host of smaller Inf/CD units.
4. South Borneo is garrisoned at all points.
5. Palembang has FIVE AA units with three more en route. Have two each headed to Brunei and Miri as well.
6. MUST make Palembang as much of a defensive point as possible. Have two Sentai of Fighters present with two more about to arrive. Figure I shall commit at least 200 Fighters to defend the base.

Notes on Kido Butai:
1. I have it safely disengaged and it will arrive at its new, COLDER, base in two turns.
2. The arrival of MISTER SAM is only 2-3 months away. WANT that plane for the CV Groups who average high-70s/low-80s for average XP.
3. The absolute final reinforcement of the carrier fleet is 40 days away with last pair of Unryu's and a CVL. There is NOTHING after that.
4. Have pulled a Halsey and 'allowed' my AOs to be spotted near the Central Philippines. Everyone KNOWS I keep my AOs close to my CVs. They are not there...

Notes on CenPac:
1. All bases are supplied (15,000+) and fully garrisoned.
2. Am continuing to pull troops out of outer bases--without interference--and redeploy them elsewhere. NICE!
3. Have really beefed up my ASW Aerial commitment with Iwo Jima, the Marianas, and that other base near Iwo Jima flying 75-100 planes fully committed to ASW/Search.

Notes on NorPac:
1. Am going to convert the Kurile bases to Home Defence status. WANT my aircraft to be able to move here if Dan comes in from the north.
2. From Etorofu to Paramushima Jima have four bases built-up, stocked, garrisoned, and ready to fight.

Dan MUST open up another assault angle and I am betting on it being in the far north...

I have to say, very solid planning here John. This is the kind of stuff that becomes fun in the endgame. How do we plan those surprises that leap out of the shadows to surprise the allied advance.

Love the AO move. It's using your tendencies against your opponent that might still be able to get results late in game. Keep it up!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Thanks Mr. Obvert.

I cannot and will not stop Dan's creation down in the DEI. Am moving troops and BUNCHES of AA the oilfields at Miri, Brunei, and Palembang. Have four new Brigades at sea going to garrison their respective areas.

One mounting concern I have is the withdrawal date of the Thai troops. This is in about 150+ days and I have nothing to replace them. Do have the four Vietmihn Divisions but they don't mount to too much. Got to get that one figured out before I have a whole bunch of uncovered bases.

We have the week off. He is on vacation and I have Tues--Wed--Thurs off so there will be a bunch of Posting. Am also thinking of doing a ton of Mod work. Should be fun.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

If it has TWO engines then I am FINE.

I, literally, lost an entire ENG unit last turn. The 9th Ind Eng Regiment was TOTALLY destroyed in Burma. It was on the top of the stack and got hit by 100+ B-24s. The unit ceased to exist and I had to buy out it to rebuild in Japan.

The 9th Ind Eng Reg will become my Poster Child for hating any use of 4EB but for traditional, historical missions. As many of us know, the game engine is simply not set-up to safely use 4EB in a Ground Attack role.

adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

I, literally, lost an entire ENG unit last turn. The 9th Ind Eng Regiment was TOTALLY destroyed in Burma. It was on the top of the stack and got hit by 100+ B-24s. The unit ceased to exist and I had to buy out it to rebuild in Japan.

The 9th Ind Eng Reg will become my Poster Child for hating any use of 4EB but for traditional, historical missions. As many of us know, the game engine is simply not set-up to safely use 4EB in a Ground Attack role.
Why a-historical? There were instances. In Normandy for example. 1000 Strat bombers is enough? I don't think the recipients counted a lot after that. i don't say it could not be finely adjusted though in game...
IJV

Post by IJV »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Why a-historical? There were instances. In Normandy for example. 1000 Strat bombers is enough? I don't think the recipients counted a lot after that. i don't say it could not be finely adjusted though in game...

Well, those sorts of concentrations were unusual anywhere, so aren't necessarily a useful point of comparison. The real problem is that there is no mechanism in WITPAE other than ground attacks to properly represent the majority of what the aircraft were used for - hitting railway yards, ammunition depots, fuel dumps, artillery parks, bridges etc. You can sort of abstract the supply hits by attacking ports/airfields, but then that leaves troops essentially able to ignore them, which isn't sensible either.

So - leaving them able to attack troops is the saner option (not least because they *were* used for direct ground support, more so than they were in Europe) - just have to make the mental leap from 'bombers killed all the dudes in this unit so it's dead' to 'bombers blapped this unit out of all its food, fuel, housing, equipment heavier than a rifle and transport so it's functionally not around any more', which is in theory more what's going on.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Thanks Mr. Obvert.

I cannot and will not stop Dan's creation down in the DEI. Am moving troops and BUNCHES of AA the oilfields at Miri, Brunei, and Palembang. Have four new Brigades at sea going to garrison their respective areas.

One mounting concern I have is the withdrawal date of the Thai troops. This is in about 150+ days and I have nothing to replace them. Do have the four Vietmihn Divisions but they don't mount to too much. Got to get that one figured out before I have a whole bunch of uncovered bases.

We have the week off. He is on vacation and I have Tues--Wed--Thurs off so there will be a bunch of Posting. Am also thinking of doing a ton of Mod work. Should be fun.

You should have a lot of brigades arriving soon. I'm in May and there are a ton that come in the next weeks for me. Not sure if your mod is any different.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Mike Dubost

Post by Mike Dubost »

Great news on the health front. Here's hoping it all stays good for many years!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Have to admit to a bit of a whine with the previous turn. Dan landed a Chindit unit at Taung Gyi, Burma and I wasn't too worried. Forts 3, an Engineer unit, and a Paratroop Inf unit holding the base. They LOOKED great until Dan used about 150 B-24s at 8-9,000 Ft to blast them off the map.

Wasn't happy.

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

4EB??? [8|]

I wrote him "let us all hear it for the most effective GROUND attack weapon in the game right now--the B-24! Not…"

Well, it is a trade off. You are eating B24s now but remember that for most of 1942 and 43 the Allies just get no sort of bomber production. The Allies could never afford to put together a massive bombardment attack but it is not problem for Japan to stitch together a couple of hundred bombers to support an attack in the early years. Now is it different and it is time to pay the piper...
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Wasn't happy.

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

4EB??? [8|]

Well, it is a trade off. You are eating B24s now but remember that for most of 1942 and 43 the Allies just get no sort of bomber production. The Allies could never afford to put together a massive bombardment attack but it is not problem for Japan to stitch together a couple of hundred bombers to support an attack in the early years. Now is it different and it is time to pay the piper...

As Japan we also get planes that do things they didn't in the war, so it's a balance. A fun balance, too. I'd say getting Georges on CVs is a pretty good trade-off, considering 4Es did actually bomb ground forces in the war and Georges were incapable of flying from CVs. [:D]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: obvert

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Wasn't happy.

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

4EB??? [8|]

As Japan we also get planes that do things they didn't in the war, so it's a balance. A fun balance, too. I'd say getting Georges on CVs is a pretty good trade-off, considering 4Es did actually bomb ground forces in the war and Georges were incapable of flying from CVs. [:D]

Agreed plus the George while good was never as good as it now is in game. I would be happy to have them if I were playing Japan. I am losing a lot more heavy bombers this campaign with the enhanced AA, George, and Jack. (I know the Jack is not in this game). We do have a HR preventing 4E from bombing troops in the open. That was a bit out of whack so I agreed to it. Not to much of a problem as any Allied attack bomber will tear up troops in the open. My opponent knows his stuff and used massed Japanese bombers to drive his sword home in the early years. I got no sympathy for him now...[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

B-25s? OK.
B-26s? Fine.
A-20s? Good

John,

You need to play the Allied side and walk in your opponents shoes.
You're sounding an awful lot like a partisan JFB who want to nerf any ahistorical use of an effective tool his opponent has.
I know you better than this.
Take a deep breath.

How historical is it for Allied shipping outside of Japanese fighter escort range to need CAP coverage for every move due to Betties that NEVER miss with torpedoes.
How many allied ships were sunk by torpedo laden Betties historically and how many do we typically see every game?

Both sides have outrageously overpowered tools. Why is it that Allied 4EBs get singled out?
Hans

Return to “After Action Reports”