Naval Air and Air to Air bug

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

fearlessdylan

Naval Air and Air to Air bug

Post by fearlessdylan »

This is a copy of an email sent to Steve. Unfortunately I'm unable to include the attachments here as any attempt to upload a file displays "cannot include "c:\fakepath\..." with my file name. fakepath?

Hi Steve,

Emailing two bugs found here. Using version 2_2_6 (with Debug, so that we can manually flip units for Isolated Re-org optional rule).

First bug - A Naval Air bug whereby the Allied side did not have the chance to designate carrier planes as fighters or bombers (all went to fighters). Ran this twice with same result. It's in the Bismark sea, Axis rolled 2 and Allies rolled 8, Axis choose only to include Allied units in the 2 box.

Second Bug - During air to air combat, allies rolled a 6 however result is 'No Effect' instead of expected 'DA'.

Screenshot is to display second bug. Game file is to reproduce first bug.

Thank you,

Dylan

p.s. would love to move to current version but really need a 'Disorganize/Organize' menu option for units in order to implement isolated re-org, is there any way that could be included in regular releases?
paulderynck

RE: Naval Air and Air to Air bug

Post by paulderynck »

I don't think we'll see it in a release except again by accident, so there's two choices:

1. See this thread: tm.asp?m=4136832&mpage=2� and DL and review the attachments (posts 32 and 33).

2. Edit the game file to back date the version number at the top, fix in a retained 2_2_6 EXE, then re-open with latest version.

Since both involve an edit of the game file I'm not sure which would be the easiest to use. It may depend on how many units need dis-orging.
Paul
fearlessdylan

Post by fearlessdylan »

Thanks Paul, that's helpful. I can see this working as long as the file format is not upgraded (for the switcharoo method).

Here's an update on Naval Air Combat bug (also emailed to Steve):

Update: Having the Japanese decline Naval Air and then having the Allies select Naval Air creates the reverse problem such that Allies now designate fighters and bombers while Japanese do not.

Also tried with same result in 2.7
fearlessdylan

Post by fearlessdylan »

Here's a zipped version of the Naval Air Combat bug.
Attachments
NavalAirBug.zip
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

This is a bug. Thanks for catching it.
Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

It appears that you changed the Saved Game file from Head-to-head (or Internet) to Solitaire. The program believes that there are two players yet the Mode of Play is Solitaire.

So when you get to the Air-to-air combat, the first player (Axis) gets to set the roles for his air units. But since the 'second' player controls the Allied side, the program attempts to switch to the other player. In the processing that follows, the program 'sees' that this is a solitaire game (only 1 player) and so goes straight to starting the air-to-air combat.

EDIT: I am not real happy about chasing bugs for games where the saved game file has been edited manually. I'll look at the problem with the air-to-air combat results later - since a similar problem was reported by someone else.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”