Eben-Emael, almost historical outcome

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

AngrySwan

Eben-Emael, almost historical outcome

Post by AngrySwan »

... The Eben Emael fortress and the bridges was taken by three groups, Granit, Beton and Stahl (in reality there was another group named Eisen that is not in this scenario or in the scenario of Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia.)

After an airstrike on the fortress three groups landed near the bridges and took them. However, the Belgians were not completely unprepared and destroyed one of the bridges before the airborne force captured it.

Group Granit strength (8++) attacked the fortress with Group Beton (strength 8+) on the other side, ready to support the attackers. Group Stahl (strength 5) would then make another attack or occupy the fortress, depending on the results of the first attacks.

There was a good chance that Eben-Emael will hold for days but, with good leadership and good luck, the airbornes quickly destroyed the fortified positions. Support of Group Beton was not needed.

This is the moment after the attack and before Group Stahl takes the fortress.

A brilliant victory with outcome close to the historical one. This time I was really lucky. The AI can be much tougher and the player can easily miss a brilliant victory.

Attachments
Eben-Emael-BV.jpg
Eben-Emael-BV.jpg (97.83 KiB) Viewed 230 times
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
terminator

RE: Eben-Emael, almost historical outcome

Post by terminator »

Hi Marechal,
You're right, the "Eisen group" is missing.
I go to see what I can make to repair this forgetting.
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

If you add Group Eisen maybe it is a good idea to change the victory conditions? For the condition "you must occupy the victory hexes but not hold them" three groups are enough. If you add Group Eisen, maybe the victory locations - Eben Emael and all three bridges - can be marked "capture and hold" like the orange hexes in some scenarios? Then the player needs four groups to complete the scenario.

Group Eisen would be strength 5 with no attachments, like Group Stahl.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
terminator

Post by terminator »

Hi Marechal,
tomorrow I will post a new more historical version with four whole groups and some other changes.

Return to “After Action Reports”