JTCS Unit Viewer

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Crossroads

RE: JTCS Unit Viewer

Post by Crossroads »

You gotta love the new 2D unit counters [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
carll11

Post by carll11 »

when you extract the files from the zip, What folder should I direct them too? thx!!
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

You may put them pretty much anywhere, just will need to make sure the correct path for the games is in the Settings file. They were in the Tools folder within the game structure, good a place as any!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: carl11

when you extract the files from the zip, What folder should I direct them too? thx!!
almost everywhere you want, or replace files in game directory's Tools folder to test F3 hot key functionaly in CS games (it invokes JTCS Unit viewer with current game pre-selected)
\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\Tools\JTCS_Unitviewer\

carll11

Post by carll11 »

I have unzipped it into every folder wf ef and the game folder, etc. and when I click F3,I get the pop up- up a 'JTCS unit viewer has stopped working' [&:]
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Carl11, try putting the absolute paths to the settings.txt in the orginal folder.

Mine is:

East Front=C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\East Front
West Front=C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\West Front
Rising Sun=C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\Rising Sun
Middle East=C:\Matrix Games\Campaign Series Middle East

Then, for easy access, copy a Shortcut of CS_UnitViewer.exe to your Desktop for easy access.

Then, the CS_UnitViewer would pop up, and be able to point to all of your games.

Hope this helps. Let me know!
---
carll11

Post by carll11 »

IOW- open the setting text doc. and type in the ( my path) to the base folder, like \west front?

like this-

East Front=
West Front=
Rising Sun=
Z:\Trajans Market\Home Old gaming Comp\Matrix East-West\West Front

the Z is my drive path the the WF folder...it doesn't seem to work, whether I use F3 or click the exe for the unit viewer in the WF front folder...or the 'game' folder
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Carl11, each game needs to have their path properly input. See the example I provided, maybe use it as a base. Then type in your exact path after the "=" mark, for each row. No white spaces allowed around "=" or it will not work IIRC.
---
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

You may put them pretty much anywhere, just will need to make sure the correct path for the games is in the Settings file. They were in the Tools folder within the game structure, good a place as any!

Hey Mike,

Is this doable with the Korean War, Cold War and K-Talan mods for CS? For that matter the old Divided Ground too?

I got it working great with EF/WF/RS and CSME but never tried it with the other 3 mods.

John
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
carll11

Post by carll11 »

ah, so, in the wf folder is should look like this-

East Front=
West Front=Z:\Trajans Market\Home Old gaming Comp\Matrix East-West\West Front
Rising Sun=

?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: carl11

ah, so, in the wf folder is should look like this-

East Front=
West Front=Z:\Trajans Market\Home Old gaming Comp\Matrix East-West\West Front
Rising Sun=

?

Yes, that should do it. Then entries to EF and RS as well. Let us know if you got it working or not!
---
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

I'm gonna quote Big Ivan on this and ask the same question. How does one set the viewer to be used with the many CS mods we have available? I have been able to "kind of" do it by temporarily renaming the dir of my target mod to "West Front". This has allowed me to view units however country names are not valid, it's just an ugly work around. I have put path statements in the settings text file (see pic) but still no success. I'm assuming it can work for the mods, just can't figure out how to do it without renaming directories to "fool" the viewer. Any help appreciated. Viewer version 2.1.1.41349

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

Hey Mike,

Is this doable with the Korean War, Cold War and K-Talan mods for CS? For that matter the old Divided Ground too?
I got it working great with EF/WF/RS and CSME but never tried it with the other 3 mods.

John

Attachments
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 732 times
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

This is a question for Arkady really, as he only knows the exact internal workings of his Unit Viewer.

I have a hunch it might be the supported country codes are hardcoded even, so you would be out of luck with that. However, if the said mods use existing nation IDs then maybe something what you did there would work, but you'd have to have a separate UnitViewer install with a separate settings.txt, and you'd need to name Cold War -> West Front and Korea -> Rising Sun I believe, then point to these folders instead.

Unit Viewer would then have wrong country names, but at least show the contents.

I am totally guessing here though [:'(]

Mike can perhaps confirm which base games are the basis for these mods.
---
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

My unit viewer doesn't work. When I press f3 it's blank.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Demjansk, what is the content of your settings.txt, located in the Unit Viewer folder? See my earlier post:
ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Carl11, try putting the absolute paths to the settings.txt in the orginal folder.

Mine is:

East Front=C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\East Front
West Front=C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\West Front
Rising Sun=C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\Rising Sun
Middle East=C:\Matrix Games\Campaign Series Middle East

Then, for easy access, copy a Shortcut of CS_UnitViewer.exe to your Desktop for easy access.

Then, the CS_UnitViewer would pop up, and be able to point to all of your games.

Hope this helps. Let me know!
---
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

This is what mine says

East Front=..\East Front
West Front=..\West Front
Rising Sun=..\Rising Sun

What should I do next?
carll11

Post by carll11 »

I solved my Viewer issue by accident.

It never was the paths ( which crossroads described exactly above and are correct btw), it was the fact that I use desktop gadgets, one of which is a cpu/ram usage tracker.

One day shortly after the exchange back in sept. I discovered that my cpu usage was spiking for no reason, I did some digging and found out that a Service in windows called -
"Windows Management Instrumentation" can become a resource hog (for no particular reason mind you, thats just windows I guess).

So I tunred it off. Turning it off did not appear to impact crucial windows operating processes,it controls a number of peripheral processes, so I went into services and disabled it, then discovered that my gadget would not start when I had disabled Windows Management Instrumentation, ergo there is some type of prgm./graphic protocol Windows Management Instrumentation does run in some circumstances.

When I started it, my gadget would operate.......since I virtually never have to restart my gadgets because I always hibernate my computer I never realized that it could or was impacting something in a game...............

I thought about that and said what the heck, and turned Windows Management Instrumentation back on, opened ME ran a scenario hit F3 and presto, it was working!

I am not sure if this will help, but I'd thought I'd share my experience.....

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

This is what mine says

East Front=..\East Front
West Front=..\West Front
Rising Sun=..\Rising Sun

What should I do next?

Where is your Unit Viewer located? Mine is at [font="Courier New"]C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\Tools\JTCS_UnitViewer[/font]

That would mean the relative path would be ..\..\East Front and so forth.

To make sure, I'd probably try absolute paths next, ie full paths like what I have in my settings.txt.
---
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I am still not getting this, when I click on my unit with F3, the unit viewer shows up but the information area is all blank. In CSME it shows the unit information. Let me look at the setting for csme and maybe just copy that?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

I am still not getting this, when I click on my unit with F3, the unit viewer shows up but the information area is all blank. In CSME it shows the unit information. Let me look at the setting for csme and maybe just copy that?

I am not at my computer at the moment so can't check this, but as far as I recall the Unit Viewer integration (unit viewer is a community tool by Arkady) was only done with CS:ME. I am not sure it is supposed to have the activated unit when called from JTCS, just that it opens. I might be wrong though.
---

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”