opponents sought

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ericv

opponents sought

Post by ericv »

A friend of mine is interested in buying this game and wonders wether there are still many players available to play PvP games? PvP is his interest mainly, 40 + years old, somewhat decent amount of experience in these kind of games?. (same post as in WitE forum, which he is also interested in.)

Chickenboy

RE: opponents sought

Post by Chickenboy »

I'd say 'yes' there is still P vs. P interest for this game in particular.

Being a complete unknown quantity that has friends make inquiries on your behalf will reduce the number of potential partners willing to engage with you on a years-long journey. Tell your friend to bite the bullet, log on, get to know the community and the game. He'll find the time worthwhile. Eventually, he will be recognized as the genuine article and won't have too difficult a time attracting an opponent.
DanSez

Post by DanSez »

There are a number of active players. The thing is... that to commit to a game, especially the campaign versions, is a commitment of years. That lowers the pool of people who would pick up a game 'today'. But it is an active community, where you often get your answers to game questions in a reasonable time frame.

If your friend is a micro-manager or a deep historical student then there are limitless hours of pleasure awaiting. If he is more about quick play either as a Strategic Overview, or a FPS type player, then your friend may feel a little overwhelmed with the detail of this game.

I hope your friend would give it a shot. In my case, I bought the game and spent about 18 months playing short scenarios to learn about combat basics. Currently I have 2 PBEM games going. That accounts for 5 different people 'playing the game' over my short time here. (yes, 5 years or less is 'short time')

The Commander's job is to orchestrate and direct the three major dimensions of combat - space, time and force. Shattered Sword, the Untold Story of the Battle of Midway
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Lots of players are looking to start a game but a lot less are able to finish the game. Real life just gets in the way too many times. I would say though its still very much worth it to get into a game!
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The thing is... that to commit to a game, especially the campaign versions, is a commitment of years. That lowers the pool of people who would pick up a game 'today'.

That's my biggest hang-up to a PBEM. I want to try as best I can to be a reliable opponent who will go the distance. I know I would feel terrible if I had a game I had to abandon or have one abandoned on me. Especially when one considers the time commitment of such an endeavor.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Did your friend end up making the investment?
Squamry

Post by Squamry »

You just have to remember that for the long campaigns it's not a game but more of a lifestyle choice.

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: Squamry

You just have to remember that for the long campaigns it's not a game but more of a lifestyle choice.

And my advice is STICK TO ONE GAME.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
ericv

Post by ericv »

I am Eric's friend, coincidentally also named Eric.

I have decided to go the distance and buy the game as well s WitE (together just under 80 euros in the december sale). But haven't got a creditcard or paypal, so I need to get one of these first. At least when I tried to pay for the game, there weren't any other options? Would have preferred a bank transfer myself. Also, apparently they want to send the game physically. I am wondering if a download wouldn't suffice with an electronic manual?)

I am choosing paypal I think, but want to open a separate bankaccount just for this purpose, as I don't really trust a direct bank link to an account with more money on it. Call me oldfashioned.

Anyway, I am really serious with regard to these kinds of time investments, and hope that I get to prove to be serious enough!
With regard to being a deep historical student, at one time I had one of the greatest german divisional and regimental history collections in the world (the serious stuff, 116. lubs, schaub, plato (all books with regard to infantry divisions except the stunning 295. and most books with regard to the armored divisions, except the excellent 66. Schutzen regiment), some 300+ books, all original, most 100+ euro's a piece, which I spent a really long time (25+ years) building and studying. Ended up donating the collection to the Dutch Royal Military Academy. If anyone is interested, I urge you to visit the KMA in Breda and enjoy some really really rare books! The people (officers and librarians there were amazed by this collection, and It amazed me a lot that they were so amazed!

Anyway being a student of history doesn't make me a good player. But I have been reading a lot of AAR's and Newb Info and learned a lot in the process and it realy amazes me how deep this game is. So I am really looking forward to playing against someone!

I will issue a challenge here in a day or 3-4.

Thanks all for your clear and positive reactions. I hope I will prove to be a valuable and reliable opponent!

Best regards

Eric

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

You shouldn't need to buy it as a physical copy. I got mine as an electronic download.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Eric-

That is an awesome book collection you managed to put together.

Full sails and have lots of fun with WITPAE.

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: ericv

A friend of mine is interested in buying this game and wonders wether there are still many players available to play PvP games? PvP is his interest mainly, 40 + years old, somewhat decent amount of experience in these kind of games?. (same post as in WitE forum, which he is also interested in.)

Yes, one of the most active PBEM communities around for any grog game. It's a testimony to how amazing the game is.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

ORIGINAL: Squamry

And my advice is STICK TO ONE GAME.
@Squamry... or hire a competent theatre commander to take off some work for you, aye?

@Anarcho: Our experience with a co-operate PBEM is quite good, naye?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”