Greg Lake, RIP

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

Greg Lake, RIP

Post by wings7 »

A great musical pioneer! You will be missed Greg!
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/eme ... ar-AAliM3c

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
VPaulus

RE: Greg Lake, RIP

Post by VPaulus »

Keith Emerson died in the beginning of this year, now Lake... [:(]
One of my favourite bands of the 70's.
RIP
Zap

Post by Zap »

Great band Rest in peace
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Thanks for the link Patrick [:)]

As a huge fan of the Moog and Prog Rock, ELP was my all-time favorite. In 2002 I even purchased the same type of keyboard that Keith was using at the time [Korg]. I saw them many times over the years, first time in 1978, most recently when Greg and Keith appeared at a small local venue in 2010 . Greg had the awesome voice. Anyone not familiar with the bands unique style can get it all by listening to the song Trilogy. Vocals, piano, drums and oh yeah ... MOOG !!

Greg and Keith RIP, your Works will never be forgotten.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

RIP.
2016 sure has not been a good year for music [:(]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Thanks for the link Patrick [:)]

As a huge fan of the Moog and Prog Rock, ELP was my all-time favorite. In 2002 I even purchased the same type of keyboard that Keith was using at the time [Korg]. I saw them many times over the years, first time in 1978, most recently when Greg and Keith appeared at a small local venue in 2010 . Greg had the awesome voice. Anyone not familiar with the bands unique style can get it all by listening to the song Trilogy. Vocals, piano, drums and oh yeah ... MOOG !!

Greg and Keith RIP, your Works will never be forgotten.

Yes indeed their work will never be forgotten! I really liked Greg's instrumentation and vocals with King Crimson (I'm a big fan of Robert Fripp). "Lucky Man" really opened my eyes to the 'Moog', what a incredible sound...[:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Fripp and Crimson were really good, I still have a few cassette tapes of them !

Greg told a really funny story about Lucky Man, if you haven't heard it:
They were finished their first album and the producer said they had a couple minutes to fill but nobody had anything. Finally Greg said he had this silly song that he wrote when he was 8. So they recorded it and the producer wanted Keith to add a piano solo to the song. Keith didn't like the song, didn't like the idea of a solo, and left the studio in a huff.

Well, Keith had taken delivery of his new $10,000 [in 1971 dollars] custom Moog not long before, and the engineer had recorded all of his 'tinkerings' with it. The engineer suggested mixing in one of these Moog bits at the end of the song. So they tried it and liked it, and history was made !

If fans ever noticed that when ELP did Lucky Man in concert that Keith did not do the moog solo at the end, this is why. It wasn't until recently that Keith reconstructed the piece so that they could play it live [which they did when I saw them in 2010].
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Fripp and Crimson were really good, I still have a few cassette tapes of them !

Greg told a really funny story about Lucky Man, if you haven't heard it:
They were finished their first album and the producer said they had a couple minutes to fill but nobody had anything. Finally Greg said he had this silly song that he wrote when he was 8. So they recorded it and the producer wanted Keith to add a piano solo to the song. Keith didn't like the song, didn't like the idea of a solo, and left the studio in a huff.

Well, Keith had taken delivery of his new $10,000 [in 1971 dollars] custom Moog not long before, and the engineer had recorded all of his 'tinkerings' with it. The engineer suggested mixing in one of these Moog bits at the end of the song. So they tried it and liked it, and history was made !

If fans ever noticed that when ELP did Lucky Man in concert that Keith did not do the moog solo at the end, this is why. It wasn't until recently that Keith reconstructed the piece so that they could play it live [which they did when I saw them in 2010].

Great story! [:)]
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
operating

Post by operating »

For some reason missed this thread in 2016 and only learned of Greg Lake's death recently, sorry to say it's one of those forever Good-byes, none the less his music still lives on..

Song: From the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kXfW2gIcw
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings operating,
Missed this thread as well so glad you posted the link.
As a teenager, I grew up on ELP and had all their albums along with King Crimson.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yes it was also very sad in 2008 when Ricky passed away from cancer [Gregg also had cancer]. Pink Floyd announced at that time the end of the band as no one would ever replace Ricky. Wright was very unassuming and liked to stay out of the spotlight. Finding videos of him on Youtube is difficult, but if you like Pink Floyd's calm, mellow style look for his piano work in Great Gig in the Sky.

Sorry to interrupt your thread Gregg!
operating

Post by operating »

Like others here, enjoyed the music by and of the Greg Lake, King Crimson and groups like Pink Floyd, it's also about sharing it such as Greg Lake's and ELP's song: Take a pebble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNJFUBbI4b8
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”