Snow Sweet Snow

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

Snow Sweet Snow

Post by ernieschwitz »

Hi Guys,

Just a teaser picture for what I am currently working on :)

Yours
Claus / Ernieschwitz

Attachments
SnowSweetSnow.jpg
SnowSweetSnow.jpg (330.33 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
LJBurstyn

RE: Snow Sweet Snow

Post by LJBurstyn »

Looks COLD...but I've missed the weather effects in GD...winter is the great killer during wartime.
ernieschwitz

RE: Snow Sweet Snow

Post by ernieschwitz »

This is January, so both the Artic and Northern Temperate Zones are winter. The mediterranian zone is rainy.. so mud... There are a total of 6 weather zones. The weather is determined by what month it is, and shifts at different times for different zones. Also since the game turn is 28 days, rather than a full month, some effects will last an extra turn, and it will shift which is which. Sometimes giving an extra snow turn, extra mud turn, or extra clear weather turn.

One thing that the Soviets have going for them is their familiarity with this kind of cold weather, so they get no readiness hit, which should allow them to do some form of counter offensive, in the snow.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

It will snow

Post by ernieschwitz »

It will snow tomorrow.

That is I am going to release v2.23 of GD 1938, which contains the weather function. The weather function is NOT optional. It may become optional in future updates, if enough people express an interest in not playing with Weather turned on, but until that time, you will have to live with it.

I hope you will enjoy the update :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

GD1938 updated with Weather

Post by ernieschwitz »

I have just uploaded the version GD 1938 v.223c, and everyone should be able to download it from the scenario bank.

It contains some general fixes and improvements:

- Christchurch not spelled Chirstchuch anymore
- Sydney not spelled Sidney anymore

Now that I have pleased the people downunder, lets look at the less important parts of the update ;)

There now is weather. Details can be found in the scenario briefing, but I can go into alittle detail here:

Weather comes in 3 forms. Snow, Mud (which is caused by rain) and clear.

In snow there is a readiness hit of 35% in open hexes, while this readiness hit is "only" 20% in built up areas (excluding ports). I'd recommend that you keep non-essential troops in cities and such, to avoid a too big drain on your supplies. You cannot build anything in snow, save roads. You cannot invade a snow hex, and you can paradrop in snow. There is a big disadvantage to flying missions in snow, as visibilty is less than optimal. As a result there may be less casualties than normal. Movement in snow swamps is faster than ordinarily, but beware, they do not stay frozen forever, and you could have units stranded there, if not careful.

In Mud, there is also a readiness hit, this one of "only" 20%, while it is 10% in built up areas (again excluding ports). Again my recommendation is the same, non-essential troops should keep to cities and such. You cannot build anything while it is "mud-season", except roads. Roads are also less speedy to travel by in mud, so is terrain in general. Flying missions in mud/rain is also not as effective as doing so in clear. It is possible to invade a hex that in which there is mud/rain. It is not possible to paradrop there however.

There are 6 different climate zones, well technical 7. They are: Permant snow, Artic, Northern Temperate, Mediterranian, Northern Monsoon, Southern Monsoon, Southern Temperate. Weather in each zone is fixed. Meaning that in January it is always snow in the artic and Northern temperate zones..

I will publish a list of what the weather is like in each zone, compared to what month it is, later...

Have fun playing.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

RE: GD1938 updated with Weather

Post by ernieschwitz »

Oh and a special shout out to Vic for his wonderful support and efforts to find a very annoying bug...

And one for cpdeyoung for playtesting.

And finally one for Bombur, for putting up with me, and always being a good sounding board.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I am a player in GD38 game 23 and 24. Do I have to wait for those games to end before I can download v.223c?
JRR
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

No, you can download any time you want. The games you are already playing will not be affected, nor will changes in the update be applied to the games you are playing. Save one thing... Graphics that have been changed, will be changed in the version you are playing.

In this case, you will get some crisper flags, and italy will get a more proper flag... other than that, no changes. So download to your hearts desire :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

Is there any separate documentation (readme/PDF etc) about this mod (GD1938) or is all the info "in game"?

thanks

the mod looks great by the way
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Everything has been detailed in game (so to speak) it is part of the scenario description. So no there is not any seperate PDF or Doc - Although, perhaps I can convince someone (wink Icym) to make one for me :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I appreciate the work you did and thanks for quick reply! Love the weather!
JRR
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

.. And thank you for taking an interest in my scenario/mod/game.... (i don't know what to call it anymore :P )
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

New Patch

Post by ernieschwitz »

Bombur and I have included a new feature. It is stormy weather at sea.

The reasoning behind that is twofold. Firstly it seemed wrong that land had weather, but oceans had not. Secondly there was a possibility of exploiting this. You could have a fleet in your city/port and it would get the readiness hit, but, if you moved it out to sea, just one hex, then that fleet would have NO readiness hit. Seemed wrong.

So, Stormy Seas it was.

Combat in Stormy Seas is tougher than in normal seas, so there is a combat modifier, to simulate this. There is also a readiness hit of 15%, which btw, is what cities in Snow have had their readiness hit reduced to as well.

Please Note that the areas that are stormy corresponds to the weather zones, you are in, and thus if there is mud or snow, then it as assumed that there is a storm in the Sea of that area. Also please note, and VERY IMPORTANT to NOTE: there is NO seperate graphic on the map for Stormy Seas. I did work on one, but it wasn't pretty. On that note: If anybody would like to try their hand at it, feel free to come up with suggestions. :)

As always, have fun. The GD1938 v223g is now in the scenario bank.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

New Patch: Again

Post by ernieschwitz »

I have made a new version of GD1938. It now has visible weather in stormy sea hexes too. Thanks to Icym for being a sounding board for these. Together we made a new graphic possible. Also a few hexes had been marked as permanent storms, which was wrong. Those hexes are now corrected. Most serious Stormy Seas disappeared in Spring for Northern Temperate Zone and Artic Zone, which was wrong, they should have disappeared in Summer. So that is changed too.

Feel free to download the new version, and as Always, have fun. New version is 2.23i...
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

GD 1938: Soviet Error

Post by ernieschwitz »

When you read this, and if you are playing version 2.23i or 2.23j of GD 1938, there is a very devastating bug in the scenario. Basically the Soviets in mud hexes, get reduced their Readiness to 2%...

So I have uploaded a new version: 2.23k, where this bug does not occur.

Thanks to Bombur for finding it!
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”