OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Anachro

When the PBEM starts, I will demand regular updates from our resident gorn.

EDIT

Now that we are on the subject of star trek, I just want to point at that DS9 was bad, really bad. So was everything after that. Well, except for T'Pol. She can serve on my ship anytime she wants.

Wife unit 1.0 and I started to watch Voyager on Amazon Prime. It's OK, but another order of magnitude "PC" above and beyond The Next Generation.
...which was already barfable when it was running and I was watching it. But even bad Star Trek is still Star Trek.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

From a few days ago. In season (Spring) the yellow on the males will get much more vivid and a jet black triangle will appear on their foreheads.

Attachments
goldfinchb.jpg
goldfinchb.jpg (495.7 KiB) Viewed 37 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Suppose you need a little time to decompress. Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhwyzJABvI

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

There was a Tom and Jerry short where Tom was chasing Jerry through the orchestra playing that at the Hollywood Bowl. It was great.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Now that you are relaxed, get back to business listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJvApIUCw0

Those violins sound like birds.

Not even Mozart.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Suppose you need a little time to decompress. Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhwyzJABvI
So I checked it out - and couldn't decide which de-stressor you were recommending. I tried to resist, but I just had to ask ....

Attachments
Destress.jpg
Destress.jpg (339.64 KiB) Viewed 37 times
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Now that you are relaxed, get back to business listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPJvApIUCw0

Those violins sound like birds.

Not even Mozart.
You should be recommending the Pastoral Symphony. Its got it all - birds and fresh air, dancing, happy villagers, a thunderstorm and a beautiful sunset as the storm moves off.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

When the PBEM starts, I will demand regular updates from our resident gorn.

EDIT

Now that we are on the subject of star trek, I just want to point at that DS9 was bad, really bad. So was everything after that. Well, except for T'Pol. She can serve on my ship anytime she wants.

Star Trek started a slide into mediocrity when Rodenbury died. Rodenbury was a utopiest and the new producer was a dystopian. ST had its following because of the utopian view of the future. They began losing audience with DS9 and lost it entirely by Enterprise. In the last season of Enterprise they brought in some writers who were fans of the original show and they started steering the show back into the right direction, but too many people had quit watching by then.

The reboot movies are so bad as to be unwatchable IMO. The first one was almost OK, but it was beyond ludicrous that they gave the Enterprise to Kirk when he hadn't even finished the academy. It was the Teletubbies Star Trek. After the second movie I wanted the last couple of hours of my life back and I have not seen the third. A friend wanted to go see it together and when our schedules didn't mesh he went to see it with his wife on their own. He texted part way through the movie and said "don't bother".

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I agree DS9 was bad. Until the war started. That turned it around, for me.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
But even bad Star Trek is still Star Trek.

You're not calling Next Generation 'bad Star Trek' or 'barfable', are you? [:@]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

there's no doubt.

You're right. There's no doubt that's not a very good picture. [:'(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: wdolson
The reboot movies are so bad as to be unwatchable IMO.

To each their own, I guess. I really enjoyed the first two reboot movies. The most recent was 'meh'-ish, but not intolerable.

If you want intolerable Star Trek movies, one need look no farther than the first, third and fifth movies with the original cast. Particularly the latter [shudders] where the crew sasses to God [shudders again]. I think I'd have to get drunk or lose a bet to watch that one again. Generations didn't exactly cover itself with glory either. WRT the Next Generation cast, Insurrection was meh and Nemesis was terrible. The Nerdist has them in different orders of awful, but close enough.

Note that the reboot movies aren't near the bottom according to this list. I agree.

http://nerdist.com/all-12-star-trek-fil ... t-to-best/
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

No, not at all.

By "no" I mean yes. By "not at all" I mean "hell yes!". [:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

No, not at all.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion*.

*You're crazy as **** if you think ST:TNG was terrible. [:'(]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

To each their own, I guess. I really enjoyed the first two reboot movies. The most recent was 'meh'-ish, but not intolerable.

If you want intolerable Star Trek movies, one need look no farther than the first, third and fifth movies with the original cast. Particularly the latter [shudders] where the crew sasses to God [shudders again]. I think I'd have to get drunk or lose a bet to watch that one again. Generations didn't exactly cover itself with glory either. WRT the Next Generation cast, Insurrection was meh and Nemesis was terrible. The Nerdist has them in different orders of awful, but close enough.

Note that the reboot movies aren't near the bottom according to this list. I agree.

Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.

But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Agree. I'll check out the list.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

No, not at all.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion*.

*You're crazy as **** if you think ST:TNG was terrible. [:'(]
And your point is? [:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Let's face it, once Hollywood discovered there was money to be made in the franchise, they seized creative control and focused on the computer graphics explosions and stuff instead of characters and plot.

But I liked "The Voyage Home" thanks to some great lines like Chekov's "Take me to the nuclear wessels." And Scottie's muttering "Primitive technology" as he cracks his knuckles before using a keyboard at extreme speed to make the transparent aluminum formula. And who doesn't love whales?
The list is way off.

BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Star Trek IV (the one you cite) was good for its campy humor and good story line. The 'save the whales' mantra was overplayed, IMO.

I think the disparity in the quality of the Star Trek movies has much more to do with screenwriting, acting and directing than profitability. Who *doesn't* want to make money from their movies? If they can make money from dramatic appeal or introspective science fiction rather than graphics explosions and stuff, then that works too.

I couldn't tell you which movie had better special effects: Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan or Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. But I *can* tell you which movie set my teeth on edge more with poor screenwriting and a boring plotline. Hint: NOT Wrath of Khan.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

BTW, how many ST movies have had a plot "Something is heading for Earth and it's going to kill everybody!"??? You could even throw in the movies where villains want such and such weapon so they can destroy earth.

One of the refreshing bits about First Contact was that the Borg didn't just shoot some death ray at Earth to destroy it. They went back in time, via temporal vortex, to assimilate Earth in its entirety before the advent of warp technology.

Likewise, with the Star Trek reboot, the aliens didn't just threaten one of the principle Federation home planets and then not carry out their threats. They just blew it the **** up and moved on towards the next one. You've got to admire that sort of (admittedly misplaced) efficiency. [:D]

Edited to fix misspelling of 'principle'.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”