Counters

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Lukas, Erik2

bairdlander2

Counters

Post by bairdlander2 »

Still no NATO counters?I was going to purchase with a few expansion's,but will not now.You are losing sales.
Fintilgin

RE: Counters

Post by Fintilgin »

Someone else here who would be much more likely to purchase with counters available. The mod that adds them looks nice, but I'm not keen on depending on a mod. I always find the 'toy soldier' modes to be very hard to 'read' at a glance.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Just curious; how would you differentiate between the various Panzer models using NATO counters?
This is quite easy using the 3D models.
Same goes for air units and several other unit types.
I think you guys are missing out on a good and fun war game.
Malor

Post by Malor »

Erik,

I purchased the game during the winter sale but I can't get into playing it because I can't tell the units apart. A standard set of unit counters (NATO style) would make it simple to identify the unit level and type (i.e., inf reg., inf battalion, tank battalion, engineer, etc.).

The "axis and allies" type graphics does not make it easy for me to identify a unit and since I'm not a geek as to the differences in individual unit equipment markings, I would not recognize them by sight anyway, especially on a cluttered combat map and would not want to. The UI is suppose to make it easy for the user to play, not harder. A NATO unit counter would make it easy at a glance to tell type of unit and I could click on the unit to tell which type of panzer I'm looking at. Once I've identified that info, I can usually retain it for the length of a scenario.

I can live without the animation since they do not add anything to the game for my tastes. I'm not playing a "shooter" game where graphics matter, I'm playing a wargame where gameplay and ease of information presentation do.

Thanks for listening.
Malor
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Malor

Erik,

I purchased the game during the winter sale but I can't get into playing it because I can't tell the units apart. A standard set of unit counters (NATO style) would make it simple to identify the unit level and type (i.e., inf reg., inf battalion, tank battalion, engineer, etc.).

The "axis and allies" type graphics does not make it easy for me to identify a unit and since I'm not a geek as to the differences in individual unit equipment markings, I would not recognize them by sight anyway, especially on a cluttered combat map and would not want to. The UI is suppose to make it easy for the user to play, not harder. A NATO unit counter would make it easy at a glance to tell type of unit and I could click on the unit to tell which type of panzer I'm looking at. Once I've identified that info, I can usually retain it for the length of a scenario.

I can live without the animation since they do not add anything to the game for my tastes. I'm not playing a "shooter" game where graphics matter, I'm playing a wargame where gameplay and ease of information presentation do.

Thanks for listening.
Malor

+1
Tony
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Agree
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

This game, same as Panzer Corp, as supposed to look like miniature troops, tanks, airplanes etc. If they changed it to counters, it would satisfy a few grizzled grognards who like things by-the-book but be terrible for most players. The nice graphics of both units and terrain with the little animations are the best part of this game.

If you like counters try the latest Gary Grisby games.
alantaylor

Post by alantaylor »

At least give a choice between the two as in a lot of Games.
harry_vdk

Post by harry_vdk »

ORIGINAL: alantaylor

ORIGINAL: adherbal
You can activate the unfinished unit counters by opening the console in the main menu and entering #counters on

Be warned though that there will still be glitches and bugs in the counter animations, but it will give you an idea of what we're trying to achieve.
http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=74673

The current state of the counters looks good and plays well but not finished.

Attachments
counters.jpg
counters.jpg (748.28 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Fintilgin

Post by Fintilgin »

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

Just curious; how would you differentiate between the various Panzer models using NATO counters?

I'd even be okay with icons like Advanced Tactics has (helmets/different tank silhouettes). I guess it's my own flaw, but I really struggle to read toy soldier mode in any game. Example: Strategic Command. Very clean and readable with counters, utterly incomprehensible mess with toy soldiers. Can't comprehend how anyone plays that way.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

+1 No more OOB purchases for me until NATO counters are officially implemented

Hope you do it ... I would like to spend more money on your product line .....
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
charlieeasy

Post by charlieeasy »

As I've never been able to differentiate between the various Panzer models by sight very well an integrated counters option would get me playing this game again.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

+1 for full counter support from me. If I want to know the details of the different types of tank/air units etc. I'll check the properties of the unit in question
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
terminator

Post by terminator »

An idea for a counter mod very easy to do (done quickly):

If somebody is interested I can explain him how to make.
Attachments
Nato.jpg
Nato.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: harry_vdk

ORIGINAL: alantaylor

ORIGINAL: adherbal
You can activate the unfinished unit counters by opening the console in the main menu and entering #counters on

Be warned though that there will still be glitches and bugs in the counter animations, but it will give you an idea of what we're trying to achieve.
http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=74673

The current state of the counters looks good and plays well but not finished.

I'm sorry, I did not quite get that. Which console, and how do I open it?
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Shift + C; got it.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: Erik2

I agree. The 3D models are one of the best parts of the game. I find counters to be dry and boring to play with. I don't see why people have problems ID'ing a type of tank by the 3D model. It's pretty obvious.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

I love this game and I don't mind the 3D models but I would probably use the counters
shown in harry_vdk's post if it were Available to the non-computer savvy world [:D]
maitrebongo

Post by maitrebongo »

Hi,

You can now find 2D counter for this game here :

tm.asp?m=4397553

"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte
Cataphract88

Post by Cataphract88 »

Wonderful stuff, Maitrebongo, I will definitely use this.

While on the subject of wonderful stuff, will you be developing/adding to the great work you have already done for Lock 'n' Load: Heroes of Stalingrad?
Richard

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II”