Proportional Airplanes Distribution thorough Search Arcs

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adarbrauner

Proportional Airplanes Distribution thorough Search Arcs

Post by adarbrauner »

It would be nice and useful if the AI could automatically distribute all the search airplanes, pertaining to the different small units contained in a fleet, through the desired searching radius in a way proportional to their collective number.

For example suppose you have 13 floatplanes pertaining to 6 different air units each of 2 or three; and suppose a desired searching radius of 180 degrees, for example from 90 to 270;

now it'd be really cool and clever if I could set the searching parameters for one unit, hit the "set for all floatplanes" command, and see them equally distributed throughout all the 180 deg. as if they were part of one unit only;

this instead of much tediously assigning every single tiny unit to a restricted slice;
RogerJNeilson

RE: Proportional Airplanes Distribution thorough Search Arcs

Post by RogerJNeilson »

This and much more it would be 'nice' to be able to do, but there is a limit to what can be done by one guy helping to smooth out the odd wrinkle still in this game. When you have got some time in you will discover that there is much that it would be nice to be able to do but the game engine and the support capacity is not able to deliver.

You will enjoy the game more if you learn to live with it 'warts and all' rather than trying to ask for things that might make it better...

Hopefully being helpful

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Hello Roger;

if you don't look up higher and forward, you'll never step that one step forward and higher...
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

And the only thing i don't so much enjoy is the land combat - too much abstracted, too much big hexes.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Hmmm, I am trying to make allowances for the fact you are new to this game, and perhaps you are struggling a touch with the language, but honestly I would suggest you stop trying to be so 'in people's faces' on here.

Again trying to be helpful to you.

However if 'you know best' then so be it.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Herrbear

Post by Herrbear »

+1 Roger
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Yes indeed some language barriers exist, but what the meaning of "being in people's faces" exactly.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

In my country of origin, a referendum, a popular conslutation or vote, had been recently held last Sunday; the subject was a single major reform to the basic law, aimed to unlock and lighten the parliamentary legislative process; a great change from the previous set of rules but also a definite step onto a new direction; btw this was the ONLY major political change proposed since end of the War really aimed to change and make politics and the reuling of the country more elastic and efficient, but still the striking majority of people rejected it...

not only, but many of the opposers were found expressing their opposition, inexpicably, in tones of verbal violence unseen or better unheard since Fascism, as if someone extraneous dared touching or modifying their sacred courtyard;

I'm aware I've used expressions that may easily be misinterpreted or misunderstood unfortunately , this not being the intention.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Yes indeed some language barriers exist, but what the meaning of "being in people's faces" exactly.

overly aggressive and argumentative...... looking to start an argument or fight, displaying no sense of tact and diplomacy.

Roger
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

An argument or fight with whom?
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The original version of the game (Uncommon Valor) did not allow you to set search arcs at all for the patrol squadrons, which resulted in your aircraft wasting time searching inland or in the completely wrong direction. The search arcs set up we were given here is a huge improvement over that.

Keep in mind that Matrix has assigned one person (the excellent michaelm) to continue to improve and patch this game, but they also have assigned him duties on other games as well. Therefore, his #1 priority is to fix bugs as they appear and then to improve the UI. There is only so much that one person with limited time can do. I am sure that he has seen your suggestion and has likely put it on a list of ideas to consider, but don't expect that means that it will actually happen. There is a possibility that he might decide the effort isn't worth the payout, or that his attempt to do so opened up new bugs.

You also need to keep in mind that this is an eight year old game and the fact that Matrix is dedicating any resources to fixing bugs or making improvements is rare indeed in the computer gaming industry. So, while we "old guard" here might make posts with suggestions for future improvements we make them as friendly requests without the snarky comments that the game is seriously flawed if our requests are not implemented.
fair winds,
Brad
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

Is there any "suggestions" subforum - just a question?

(P.s: yes Brad, but also not being overly sensible...otherwise inevitably anyone may feel intimidated, especially where language or fine cultural differences exist, thus arising misunderstandings, this being good for waht?)
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

adarbrauner, I used to assign each search unit to a specific arc. Well, er I don't bother anymore [:D] Some players performed tests and said they even were obtaining more spottings with random arcs. They convinced me.

Now I keep it simple and universally use the [search] 30 / [ASW] 30 / [train] 20 / [rest] 20 parameters [:)]

A trick. If the mission is Naval Search the 20% will train that skill. When they get to 60 I switch to ASW mission and the 20% will train the ASW skill.

If it is a bomber unit and you want the same to train the bombing skill, no problem. Choose Naval Attack and exactly the same parameters as above. It will allow you to order the training of a specific skill: ie airfield attack etc. In fact you will increase both the bombing and naval attack skills. The latter does not make a lot of sense because in reality the 100% are doing other jobs. But that's how it works.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Now I keep it simple and universally use the [search] 30 / [ASW] 30 / [train] 20 / [rest] 20 parameters [:)]

If it is a bomber unit and you want the same to train the bombing skill, no problem. Choose Naval Attack and exactly the same parameters as above. It will allow you to order the training of a specific skill: ie airfield attack etc. In fact you will increase both the bombing and naval attack skills. The latter does not make a lot of sense because in reality the 100% are doing other jobs. But that's how it works.

Do you make some training allowance /percentages to earn some additional skills on the way, really ?!
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner
Do you make some training allowance /percentages to earn some additional skills on the way, really ?!

Yes. Of course. Remember that the quickest way to increase a Naval Search, ASW skill (if the skill < 60) is via training (100% ideal). Just doing the mission will take forever.

In an ideal world you would only unleash your hordes when they are trained ie ASW mission when every pilot hits minimum the 60 ASW skill. I'm afraid the enemy doesn't wait... You must deploy your patrol and bomber planes too. Not doing that is a luxury you cannot afford. But bombers are bombers: I still want the bomber pilots to learn their skill... meanwhile they perform naval search and ASW duties.

All I can say is I spot lots of things so no complaint; and the bombers slowly learn their trade. After all sooner or later they will be bombing things. They must be ready when that day comes.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”