The Guadalcanal Syndrome

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

RE: The Guadalcanal Syndrome

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Braxton Bragg was an important, rather unsuccessful, rather disliked, Confederate general during the US Civil War. He was rather morose. His whiskers and eyebrows were all bristly, so he somewhat had the appearance of a porcupine. But nobody questioned his bravery or his devotion to his cause. He simply had a prickly personality that didn't endear him to many people. Fort Bragg, North Carolina, is named for him.

*oops, the Forum censors, in good faith, censored my attempt to use a word that is perfectly innocuous but bears a resemblance to a word that isn't. Most of you know what I was typing. Hmmm. Will the forum allow me to type prickly-pear cactus? How about, "Her beauty pricked my heart."

If only they could have projected his personality in battle onto incoming Union troops by use of some Lovercraftian technology... Anyway, while Bragg was clearly in a league of his own in terms of personality and charm, I still think A.P.Hill and his red battle shirt ranks no.1 in style, just ahead of Burnside's sideburns.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Switch the TF orders to "Remain on station" and the "Guadalcanal type bombardment" is not used. The ships will move into the ordered hex at mission speed and conduct the bombardment whenever they get there.
This! Tried, and worked the way you explained (meanwhile..?). Thank you.

Now that has been resolved, how about apologising for your earlier offensive remarks and acknowledging that the problem lay not with the game and its designers but with yourself.

Alfred

1- Offensive?

2- Let's wait and try this more.

Disclaimer, I find it useless to list here the praises for the designers which are just countless; notwithstanding that things could be improved, but how if critical remarks are to be repressed?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Criticism is welcome, but foul language... Do you know what the Green Button is? "A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Frankly, I don't see much that's offensive in his remarks.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

From top of my head, that would be some sullen CSA general... Where is Shelby Foote when we need one?
You got me, dear Kapitan Kloss. Recommended watching/listening:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?309851-1/ ... ones-river

A more... shall we say, positive view (kinda makes one think) about the capabilities of Braxton Bragg during the Stones River/Mufreesboro battle.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Switch the TF orders to "Remain on station" and the "Guadalcanal type bombardment" is not used. The ships will move into the ordered hex at mission speed and conduct the bombardment whenever they get there.
This! Tried, and worked the way you explained (meanwhile..?). Thank you.

Do not overlook the mention of seaplanes. You need a good Detection Level (D/L) on the enemy to get your TF to bombard. If your bombarding ships have float planes set some to Night operations, range 0, altitude 1000', NO TARGET SELECTED (for some reason this ties them to the bombardment mission).
Set others to day operations, 0 range, 7000 feet altitude (to avoid balloons and reduce flak losses), and NO TARGET.

The night recon helps maintain the D/L you had on the enemy from the previous turn. Your Remain On Station TF will likely do some bombardment at night if it can reach there during that phase, but if it still has lots of ammo left in daytime and the weather permits, it should bombard again.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

From top of my head, that would be some sullen CSA general... Where is Shelby Foote when we need one?

He's right where they left him at GPS (lat/lon): 35.12173, -90.02724

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=11256418

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”