Should I Engage?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bradfordkay

RE: Should I Engage?

Post by bradfordkay »

There are two big issues with the USN carrier torpedo bombers at the beginning of the war: one is that their range with torpedoes is rather short and the second is that the Devastator is an awfully slow aircraft so they do get shot down in large numbers.

Congratulations on your excellent result against a superior carrier TF. Well played.

BTW: are you saying that you lost the Enterprise? Trading one for three at this point of the war is a very favorable trade. Right now the IJN doesn't have much in the way of usable carrier power. Take advantage of this window of opportunity.
fair winds,
Brad
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Anachro, aerial torpedoes work just fine from day one, the trick is getting them to nuzzle up to an enemy ship after the TBD gets blown out of the sky.

If Anachro's battle is in Jan '42, wouldn't the TBD's Mark 13 torp have a dud rate of 50?
This was the only sig line I could think of.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Buckrock
ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Anachro, aerial torpedoes work just fine from day one, the trick is getting them to nuzzle up to an enemy ship after the TBD gets blown out of the sky.

If Anachro's battle is in Jan '42, wouldn't the TBD's Mark 13 torp have a dud rate of 50?

If the "Reliable USN Torpedoes" option was chosen, then yes the Mark 13 has a dud rate of 50. Still better than the sub launched torpedoes of USN fleet subs.

Alfred
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

Thanks Alfred.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
BTW: are you saying that you lost the Enterprise? Trading one for three at this point of the war is a very favorable trade. Right now the IJN doesn't have much in the way of usable carrier power. Take advantage of this window of opportunity.

Yes, the only carrier I lost as a direct result of the battle was the Enterprise. Which burned up from 20 in fires and little damage elsewhere. I suspect she would have easily survive with Allied Damage Control on. Oh well.

This battle happened a while ago and it is now Jan '43 in-game.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”