A try for a Kantai Kessen

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adarbrauner

A try for a Kantai Kessen

Post by adarbrauner »

Next campaigh I start, without committment, I'll try in this wargame the traditional imperial navy high command's strategy of waiting the US navy into a higly fortified and prepared first -second defense circle, stretching from the Philippines thorough the Marianas, Marcus Island and up the Curilis.

All the Southern New Guinea, Salomons and the rest of southern eastern Pacific shall be left untouched, a waste of efforts (in this optic); I'll even probably renounce to one of the naval devices I'm most attached to - and that i am currently using and developing in my this very first game against the AI - commercial warfare through submarines;

No Pearl Harbour, no waist o forces to reach out to the US Navy;

Possibly and probably, an aggressive campaign in Burma, and maybe even further on in India, accompanied by aggressive naval wafare in the Bengal Gulf, to wear out the British and keep the US navy distracted.

A much aggressive initial campaign and build up against the Chinese, trying to knock it out within first year of war may be taken in consideration, but not so sure; probably a pure containment approach and deployment, accompanied by aggressive strategic air bombardment to let the chinese be weared out of supplies patiently by time with minimum of waste may be the best line to adopt.

After having apprehended and well secured and fotified the wholeness of dutch Indies and Malay, no any particular effort to keep Kwajalein and Truk shall be made, serving at most as rear guards and effective first alert for the approaching intruder.

There's a lot of sounded and grounded sense in this approach, which is the one basically employed by Toyoda and Ozawa at the battle of Philippine Sea (A-Go plan?); and, if it was so difficult and not understood by itself for the Us navy to overcome it then, so then I have very good expectations for prohibitive and possibly decisive losses on the Us navy by an undamaged and much strengthened Japanese Navy and air forces.

Even a massive Strategic bombing campaign may not provide the unlocking breach due to very high lossess...

Mean while i'm going with Yamamoto's approach, that is working ON THE CLOCK aggressively to reach out or try to force the US navy into enagement as soon as possible, before the falling of the deluge in an year or so from the starting of the war;

i'd bet some of you have used or encountered such an approach;

it may have provided Japan a victory - G. forsake.

Adar
Yaab

RE: A try for a Kantai Kessen

Post by Yaab »

Captain Cruft, are you reading this?
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

Is it a hive defense?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

adarbrauner, you are typing too fast, I'm trying to take notes here and my ink pen just ran out of ink! Can you please give us a heads up about a week ahead of time?

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

adarbrauner, your strategy runs counter to the Bushido spirit. You are not France, nor Switzerland, nor Chung-kuo. You are Yamato! You will crash your Nate into an AMc for the Emperor!
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Can't fortify oil tankers...
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

adarbrauner, you are typing too fast, I'm trying to take notes here and my ink pen just ran out of ink! Can you please give us a heads up about a week ahead of time?
Hit the PAUSE button.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Hit the PAUSE button.

[:D] I take it that you retwitted me twice because my original post was both brilliant and instructive, just so no one else would miss it.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Sir Robin in Reverse.

It doesn't sound like a good strategy.

From what I've experienced in, and read of, this monster game, the best way for Japan to prolong the war in a meaningful way is to win a lopsided carrier battle,* the sooner the better. If Japan sits on its duff and lets the Allies simply build and build and build, it probably won't end well for Japan.

*That's the best way for Japan to prolong the war. The best way for Japan to win the war, IMHO, is for an experienced, talented and aggressive Japanese player to figure out how to employ a West Coast strategy to achieve auto victory.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

If Japan sits on its duff and lets the Allies simply build and build and build, it probably won't end well for Japan.

Allow to me to correct this slightly:

If Japan sits on its duff and lets the Allies simply build and build and build, it will NOT end well for Japan.

[:D][:D][:D]
Pax
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

It would probably be an extremely boring game.
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

Is this to be in a game against the Allied AI?
This was the only sig line I could think of.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

Hit the PAUSE button.

[:D] I take it that you retwitted me twice because my original post was both brilliant and instructive, just so no one else would miss it.
indeed exists a theory which associates tweeting birds to reptiles n the evolution's line; but we are creationists ,not evolutionists; anyhow, Gorns level of instruction and brilliantness has been yes well displayed once upon a time in an instructive wargame held in a deserted resort (according to my childhood memoirs).[:'(][X(]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Captain Cruft's AAR
tm.asp?m=3043051&mpage=1&key=
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

I would say if you can draw the Allies out into a decisive battle in '43, you have a chance to really cripple allied strength. The biggest thing though that you have to realize is that in a straight up CV vs CV battle, the allies have the advantage as their carriers have higher complement and also better AAA systems. You NEED to add land based airpower as a factor, which will even up the odds. Also a big factor is the Japanese surface combat forces, which IMHO is hands down better than the US surface combat forces until they get the big fire control system upgrade in '45 (I think).

I believe Kentai Kessen is a very sound strategy AS LONG AS THE LOCATION AND TIME IS CHOSEN WISELY
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”