Help! Rebase French Naval

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

AdmiralFatcat

Help! Rebase French Naval

Post by AdmiralFatcat »

How do you rebase the French Naval Units that are put in the Rebase box (upper left corner) after Vichy France is created? I've tried and tried to rebase them but it gives me very few options as to where I can put them. I've tried every place I could think of and sometimes the game lets me put the unit there, but I must have done something wrong because it will not let me advance to the next phase. This is driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

KB
The enemy invariably attacks on one of two occasions: 1. When you're ready for them. 2. When you're not ready for them.
paulderynck

RE: Help! Rebase French Naval

Post by paulderynck »

If you can save and zip the game and post it here someone can take a look at it for you. Without seeing the game situation it is very difficult to describe what to do. It sounds like you can't get them all rebased and yet it is possible to do so. That's most likely why the phase cannot be advanced.
Paul
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Have you checked the Vichy rules? They have a section for rebases when Vichy is created, with its own specialities.

I cannot talk about MWIF but being a veteran WIFfer and since MWIF is mainly identical , ...

... it could be related to this, from RAW 7:
The same player moves any French controlled units in hexes controlled by an Allied major power. French controlled naval units rebase at double their range, and French controlled land and air units are moved to the nearest Vichy France or Free-French hex. Alternatively, an Allied major power can destroy every French controlled unit in its territory. If it does so, Vichy France is hostile to that major power (see 17.5).
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Choltan49er

How do you rebase the French Naval Units that are put in the Rebase box (upper left corner) after Vichy France is created? I've tried and tried to rebase them but it gives me very few options as to where I can put them. I've tried every place I could think of and sometimes the game lets me put the unit there, but I must have done something wrong because it will not let me advance to the next phase. This is driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

KB
You usually only get one or two viable ports, because they have to go to the Nearest port (controlled by either Vichy or Free France). The help message on the Main form will tell you where the nearest port is (once you have selected a naval unit to move). But there may be several ports possible - the Main form only tells you one of them.

Other possibilities might be that you expecting to be able to 'clear' the Selectable Units form. The program typically leaves the last unit visible in the form and turns on the End-of-Phase button - which is how you end the phase.

---

Did any of the answers in this post or the other posts above help you?[&:]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
AdmiralFatcat

Post by AdmiralFatcat »

The game won't let me save at this point so I can't send it to anyone. As far as I can tell I'm doing everything correctly. These are the ships and their current positions according to the map: CA Duplex, CA Primaquet (Algiers); CV Bearn (Casablanca); BB Strasburg, CA Duquesne, CA Dunkerque, CA Foch (Mogador). The game says that those ships are in those ports but game won't let me advance. I originally had more ships but had to destroy them. Now the game won't even let me destroy those ships.

Am I missing some ports that are legal? I'm playing solitaire so I can learn the game.

Why does it say those ships are in those ports (according to Flyout) but still not let me advance? I'd go back to a previous save and redo everything but I'm afraid that it won't change anything. Besides, I can't learn the game that way.

I've had the game open on my computer since the day before Thanksgiving.

KB
The enemy invariably attacks on one of two occasions: 1. When you're ready for them. 2. When you're not ready for them.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Did you try the arrows in the main form? Perhaps there is a French convoy somewhere which still needs to be rebased and using the arrows will point out the sea area where that unit currently is.

During the Vichy creation phase, ships already in a French port are not rebased. Only ships at sea or in a non French controlled port have to be put into the closest French controlled port. So if you've moved the French ships in Moroccan ports, that should do the trick.

Peter
AdmiralFatcat

Post by AdmiralFatcat »

I tried the arrows but all it does is cycle through the same 7 ships. All 7 ships are in ports. There are no convoys so that is not part of the problm.

Do certain ships have to be placed in certain ports? The only ports that I'm able to put ships in are Brest, Marsailles, Algiers, Casablanca, and Mogador. Also, it won't let me put certain ships in a port that I've already put ships in.

KB
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The game won't let me save at this point so I can't send it to anyone. As far as I can tell I'm doing everything correctly. These are the ships and their current positions according to the map: CA Duplex, CA Primaquet (Algiers); CV Bearn (Casablanca); BB Strasburg, CA Duquesne, CA Dunkerque, CA Foch (Mogador). The game says that those ships are in those ports but game won't let me advance. I originally had more ships but had to destroy them. Now the game won't even let me destroy those ships.

Am I missing some ports that are legal? I'm playing solitaire so I can learn the game.

Why does it say those ships are in those ports (according to Flyout) but still not let me advance? I'd go back to a previous save and redo everything but I'm afraid that it won't change anything. Besides, I can't learn the game that way.

I've had the game open on my computer since the day before Thanksgiving.

KB
Check for an autosave from just before Vichy creation. With that I can check if this is a bug and if not I'm happy to describe any steps I perform and then you can either use the game file I send back or use the konwledge gained to do your own thing with the file you post.
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I tried the arrows but all it does is cycle through the same 7 ships. All 7 ships are in ports. There are no convoys so that is not part of the problm.

Do certain ships have to be placed in certain ports? The only ports that I'm able to put ships in are Brest, Marsailles, Algiers, Casablanca, and Mogador. Also, it won't let me put certain ships in a port that I've already put ships in.

KB
Possibly they weren't placed in the closest port, but then I suppose the game should not have let you place them.

There's no enforced port placement - only closest and the Axis decides, so would always pick a Vichy port in the event of a tie.

If at sea I'm unsure how the game determines "closest" (maybe from the hexdot where the seabox is), but certainly if there's an available port bordering the sea zone, it and others bordering, should all be tied.
Paul
AdmiralFatcat

Post by AdmiralFatcat »

Found my error finally. I think I did what paulderynck said about not placing them in the closest port. I redid my port placement using closet one and game let me continue to next phase.

Thank everyone for the help. Now I can continue my quest to master this monster.

KB
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Ok, but I was the first one to suggest that you might have not send them to the closet port. I am worried I may be unclear in my posts...[X(]

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

We were all thanked, and I'm willing to split the prize money with you.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Prize money? Where? I want a piece of the action. Do you need my bankaccount number, Paul? [:D]
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Found my error finally. I think I did what paulderynck said about not placing them in the closest port.

No need tyo thank, I am not a thanks-dependant [:D], as I mentioned, I was surprised that he mentioned you : "Found my error finally. I think I did what paulderynck said about not placing them in the closest port." when I had said the same earlier.

Itwas not about who got the thanks but whether I am not as clear as I thought in my explanations, but never mind. [:)]

A compliment-dependant person [:'(]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8ShAosqzI
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you, José, for the link and the laugh. [:)] [&o]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I liked the video Jose, thanks for that.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”