To buy or not to buy...

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dabrion

RE: To buy or not to buy...

Post by Dabrion »

Well it is a rigid historical sandbox. If you play DOD3 or one of the PoliF variants it becomes less rigid on the macro level, as you call it. But I can see how what you say is true for MWiF.. being stuck half way down a one-way lane..
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Yes, US can't declare war to CW, CW can't declare war to France... but I think that is not a big problem for a game of this characteristics (WWII wargame simulation).

It could be fun to see what happens if USA and Germany are allies against the rest of the world, but I don't think I would be playing such non historical scenarios just that a couple of times.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Those rules come from WIF, hence the name MWIF. So it's not a sandbox, but Working as Designed.

The game could have been called MDoD and then I wouldn't have bought it nor a vast majority of WIF players, unless it could be played as WIF independently.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Those rules come from WIF, hence the name MWIF. So it's not a sandbox, but Working as Designed.

The game could have been called MDoD and then I wouldn't have bought it nor a vast majority of WIF players, unless it could be played as WIF independently.

Hi Jose how are you? I decided to remain a clam about to buy or not [:(] If I made a comment it could go on for hours [;)] I notice that it is selling for $49.99 [8D]

Bo
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Hahaha. Fine so long. No point to comment on the points so often debated, it's not a crusade. I mean everybody spoke their mind in some threads and there is no point in having more skirmishes. Of course everyone can do as they like...

However I miss you in the forum, that's for sure. :)
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Hahaha. Fine so long. No point to comment on the points so often debated, it's not a crusade. I mean everybody spoke their mind in some threads and there is no point in having more skirmishes. Of course everyone can do as they like...

However I miss you in the forum, that's for sure. :)

I keep an eye on the posts Jose but do not like what I see, not good.

Bo
Rommel62

Post by Rommel62 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: SheperdN7

Thinking of buying this game, I've played WitP:AE and absolutely love it, its my favourite game of all-time hands down but after looking a board game called "A World at War" (which is essentially the evolved Avalon Hill Advanced Third Reich) and I have a craving for counters and hexes and of course grand strategy but I would like input from players on whether I should give this game a go.

warspite1

It really depends on what you want from the game.

1. The game is not complete (optional rules missing), it is not completely stable (our current game is having issues which is delaying its progression) and there are one or two annoying areas (well, more than annoying actually - the convoy routing needs a complete re-work). In addition there is no AI and net play does not yet work.

2. Set against that, as can be seen from the AAR's that are going on (see above) the game is playable with some effort and perseverance (subject to the problems mentioned above) solo or by PBEM.

3. So the obvious question is, given point 1, why would anyone buy this - much less attempt to play this? Well simply because it is the best wargame - certainly strategic wargame - ever made. Without the computer version many people (myself included) would never be able to play this again because the boardgame requires so much space in addition to time and other real life concerns. MWIF at least enables the game to be played once more for many that otherwise can't.

4. Buying this game needs to be viewed I think as a long term project, but one that at least enables one to play the greatest game ever made. Sadly for those that never played the board game there is the added complication of having to learn the game with bug issues - and that is always frustrating. I would definitely recommend the hardback manuals if you were to get this game.

5. If you have the cash to spare (and accept you may never get your head round it and it become a waste of money) I would always recommend people to buy - because if you have the spare cash there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing such a rich, complex, beautiful - both in game mechanics and aesthetic terms, deeply rewarding game that is replayable to an almost infinitesimal degree thanks to the way the game is crafted. The game IS NOT accurate like say WITP-AE, but does not intend to be because it is a game winnable - and thus fun - for both sides. But despite the fact its not accurate, the feel of the game is 100% WWII because of the basic framework the designers installed. And where else are you going to play with every single ship from light cruiser up (plus tons of what-ifs - the British fast minelayers excepted) each with its own individual counter?

6. If you play WITP-AE then the complexity of this game shouldn't phase you. Just remember it is the board game ported to computer and that is smething of a shock for many people brought up only on computer games. And as for the problems, the bugs and the steep learning curve, you will also find plenty of support on this forum from the diehards that remain [:)]
Rommel62

Post by Rommel62 »

2. Set against that, as can be seen from the AAR's that are going on (see above) the game is playable with some effort and perseverance (subject to the problems mentioned above) solo or by PBEM.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I could not find a clear answer. Is PBEM possible in the current state of this game? If so, what is the procedure? I purchased this game a few years ago, and have been waiting like many of you for certain functions to be available. Any response is greatly appreciated!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Rommel62

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I could not find a clear answer. Is PBEM possible in the current state of this game? If so, what is the procedure? I purchased this game a few years ago, and have been waiting like many of you for certain functions to be available. Any response is greatly appreciated!
warspite1

PBEM is possible. Have a look at some of the AARs. In terms of procedure, its a case of doing your impulse and then e-mailing the game to your opponent who then does his impulse and sends it back

Because of the interaction required within an impulse, you will need a method of communication during the impulse - e.g. e-mail, this forum or Skype.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Rommel62

Post by Rommel62 »

Thanks for your response! Since I didn't see an option for PBEM in the game menu, do you happen to know what option I choose? ( ie head to head, solitaire, internet). Also, what is the file called that is saved and sent to your opponent?

I really want to give this thing a whirl and see how it goes.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thanks for your response! Since I didn't see an option for PBEM in the game menu, do you happen to know what option I choose? ( ie head to head, solitaire, internet). Also, what is the file called that is saved and sent to your opponent?

I really want to give this thing a whirl and see how it goes.
warspite1

Use Head to head. The file will be found in the World In Flames folder - Saved Games - Global War. You will need to zip it when you send it.

4personalbusiness

Post by 4personalbusiness »

I'm curious why you recommend head-to-head. Lars and I have been using solitaire. What's the benefit?
Rommel62

Post by Rommel62 »

Ok, thanks!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ok, thanks!
warspite1

Sorry - I meant solitaire - why I said Head to Head I have no idea!

Rommel62

Post by Rommel62 »

Thanks for the clarification. One more question since I am new to the computer version of this game. Does each turn require many sub phases, as in will each turn require 10 or more email transfers? Also, how are the die rolls handled in an email type game?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

You may as well use Solitaire and trust one another with whatever process you decide on for handling the US Entry and NZ-Pact chits. Essentially for those, it is some form of the "honor system". This is because it is such a simple matter to "cheat" (if you really wanted to) with either Solitaire or Hot Seat; and with Hot Seat you just end up dismissing a bunch of dialog boxes that are supposed to be telling you which player is supposed to sit down in front of the computer next (but about 20% of the time are wrong anyway).

The file you send back and forth is the MWiF game file ("filename.GAM") from your Save or Auto-save directories, but since it is 8 to 10 Megs in size, you should zip it before emailing it. That reduces it to about 1.6 Megs.

Some turns require a LOT of interaction so instant messaging is better than email for that. FREX: "Ground Strike on Lille with 4-factor Stuka - will you intercept with the one Orange 3-factor FTR in range?". Skype works great for this as you can have it on your PC, IPAD and/or phone. Reply and let the other player resolve, rather than emailing back and forth. The other player can always open the game at the last save point and view the tactical situation.

Edit: If you like, you can use an on-line Die Roller (like ACTS) that sends the results to both players. Set MWiF so the user can put in the die rolls and then put in the ones that come back.

Paul
4personalbusiness

Post by 4personalbusiness »

It also helps if the non-phasing player issues standing orders during air combats so the phasing player can complete without having to ask if your opponent wants to "DX front fighter or bomber" over and over again. if a mistake is made ("I wouldn't have done that, you jackass!"), you have to just chalk it up to fog of war. Playing this way takes a lot of trust in your partner but if things really get sticky, you can always just order up the dreaded mulligan and start the phase over. ACTS works well, but adds a little extra work so it comes down again to comfort level and trust.

Bottom line is my current game with Lars (he's retired and I work from home) started June 6. We are now in MA43 (60% in 5 months) and have exchanged 408 game files. It's a pretty normal Global War scenario with a 41 Barb and American entry in JF42, I believe. We "play" every day. I don't know how that stacks up with other people's MWIF PBEM games but it's been faster than my Cyberboard games, which usually last about 12-15 months. Does this timeframe horrify you?

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Pick solitaire. Then exchange the game saves.

Go to the scenario directory. Pick the scenario you are playing (Global War, Barbarossa, etc.) There will be a file called "Saved Games". Look in there.
I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “World in Flames”