Sanctus Reach and Steel Tigers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

Sanctus Reach and Steel Tigers

Post by wodin »

Just watched some vids of Sanctus Reach and I'm quite impressed. Like to see sounds boosted plus see amage on units as they get hit. Plus more meaty weapon special effects. Still much more my thing compared to the other WH40K games. Def a winner and will do well mainstream.

Now Steel Tigers. I'm sure I've read Steel Tigers is using a similar engine? Now though I like the look of Santus Reach I'm not at all sure if I'd like to see Steel Tigers playing and looking similar..surely that's just a improved Battle Academy, not a new Steel Panthers game? Now I could be totally worng here and have my wires crossed though.
Erik Rutins

RE: Sanctus Reach and Steel Tigers

Post by Erik Rutins »

Steel Tigers will not be a new Battle Academy gameplay-wise, but it will look quite nice.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

but it will look quite nice.

But will it look like Sanctus Reach?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
wodin

Post by wodin »

But it uses the same engine as Sanctus Reach?
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

"Engine" doesn't mean same system, from what I've understood about computer games. It's a graphics/design mechanism, that's all.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

It uses a modified and customized version of our engine, but what that mainly tells you in this case is what it can do in terms of the graphics.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

AGEOD will also use a modified and customized version of the Archon engine.

An engine is just an engine. Game design isn't affected by the game engine.
For example, Battle of the Bulge, Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager, Drive to Moscow, Heroes of Normandie, Legions of Steel, Order of Battle, Qvadriga, Star Hammer, Vietnam '65 etc, they all use the same engine, Unity.
And yet these are very different type of games.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

An engine is just an engine. Game design isn't affected by the game engine.
And yet these are very different type of games.
Got it. We just used to have this image that when different games use the same game engine, those are as much alike as Panzer Corps and Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon (for example).
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Modern shader-based 3D engines can have far more visual variation than that. The two games will look almost nothing alike, other than far higher visual quality.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

But, will AGEOD keep their nice graphics then for their future games?
Engine only allowing to speed up game performance.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine
Modern shader-based 3D engines can have far more visual variation than that. The two games will look almost nothing alike, other than far higher visual quality.
So...Steel Tigers will use a 3D engine?
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Yes - Archon is a 3D engine. That doesn't mean that the gameplay nor the viewport needs to change, just that the assets are built and rendered in a different way. 2D assets simply don't scale to the resolution required, nor for animations, texture variations, shadows, etc.

It's important to know that in modern engines the visuals are (generally) pretty well decoupled from the model and logic.

It sounds a little like your post was somewhat worried - I would just ask you to remember that the guys building the gameplay are still the same people who built the seminal original [:)]

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
76mm

Post by 76mm »

It sounds a little like your post was somewhat worried - I would just ask you to remember that the guys building the gameplay are still the same people who built the seminal original

Thanks for your response. Not really worried, just curious. I think I'd prefer a top-down view but won't really know for sure until we see what comes out...
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

But, will AGEOD keep their nice graphics then for their future games?
Engine only allowing to speed up game performance.

We will keep our way of showing units yes. Archon is a 3D engine, so 3D models you'll get on the overmap, but units portaits will still be '2D cards' with a lot of historical details (as the gameplay)
AGEOD Team
wodin

Post by wodin »

OK cool..so I'm presume it's flexible like Unity for instance..
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

It sounds a little like your post was somewhat worried - I would just ask you to remember that the guys building the gameplay are still the same people who built the seminal original [:)]
I believe XCOM: Enemy Unknown (XCOM WITHOUT - ) had some of the same staff behind of it as the older X-COM (X-COM WITH - ) series. Still very much different. Good game anyway. At least given deployment doesn't take whole evening to play through as it did with X-COM games.

If new game is too much different from some established "standards", you may have grognards pointing pitchforks at you. No matter how good the game is. I mean: didn't that happen with XCOM and some entries in Civilization series?

My bottom line: make good games which are enjoyable to play. Civ4 proved 3d graphics don't make bad game and game can still feel familiar to play.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

Just a few questions for Steel Tigers?

1). Will Steel Tigers be getting its own forum spot soon either in the in development or coming soon areas?
2). Engineers. Will they be able to lay/remove mines during a game turn. Any other functionality for Engineers?
3). I love the Encyclopedia in the original Steel Panthers will there be an updated one in Steel Tigers?
4). Will flame weapons have flame animations?
5). Will rail play a more significant role in Steel Tigers other than just being tracks?
6). Will the map/scenario/oob editors ship with the initial release?
7). Will vehicular movement have animations such as dust or track marks?

Thanks for your time realize you may not be able to answer all of these but any news would be greatly appreciated.[:)]

IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If and when a game called Steel Tigers is officially announced it will get its own page/forum etc and questions can be answered!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

No worries thanks hopefully sooner than later[:D]
wodin

Post by wodin »

OK played the preview...I'll say this the screenshots and preview videos DON'T do the graphics any justice at all...they really do look like the mini's animated..was very impressed allround actually. The closest thing you'll ever get to the actual mini's game and I'm sure it's going to be a HUGE success and a major financial boost to Slitherine\Matrix...you've done very well with this! It's the WH40K game people have been crying out for for years.

Return to “General Discussion”