Game for new gamer

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

bogert

Game for new gamer

Post by bogert »

Looking for a Matrix game on sale for a first time casual wargamer wannabee. Prefer WWII. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Skeleton

RE: Game for new gamer

Post by Skeleton »

Strategic Command 3, hands down. Has all the depth a newbie will need and is easy enough to get into to truly appreciate everything that is great about this hobby.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Panzer Corps....
Rod T DeMore
CV60

Post by CV60 »

ORIGINAL: bogert

Looking for a Matrix game on sale for a first time casual wargamer wannabee. Prefer WWII. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the hobby. There are a lot of games out there that might fit the bill. You mentioned you like WWII. If possible, can you give a bit more detail as to what you like? For instance:

Do you prefer Strategic, Operational or Tactical level games?
Do you like Naval, Land, or Air-focus?
Eastern or Western Front?
Human opponent or vs. the AI?
How long do you want it to take to play a scenario? 30 minutes, 4 hours, 8 hours, 1 week +
What games have you enjoyed in the past (include non-wargames)

“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Order of Battle and whichever DLC suits your interest.
Panzer Corps, same thing.

Battle Academy 1 and/or 2 for more tactical gameplay.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Panzer Command: Osfront
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Panzer Command: Osfront
A real stinker that is.Go for Panzer Corps.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

For a tactical one get Battle Academy 2.
For Operational one get Order of Battle (the base game is free choose a DLC of theater you like) or get Unity of Command.
For strategic one get Strategic Command WW2 (this is new so it is not on sale)
IF you like WW1 strategic level get Commander: The Great War.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Welcome Peter, I think these are all excellent choices! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
bogert

Post by bogert »

Thanks for all the answers. Some great recommendations.
I guess my preference (and I'm not familiar with some of the terms so I need to describe) would be first a game that is smaller scale - squad/platoon rather than whole armies. Yet I don't want a first person shooter! I'm interested in a game that I can play in an hour or less - unless the game can be stopped and started. I should also note that I have a Mac.

Again, thanks for the responses. If my comments help you refine, feel free!
CV60

Post by CV60 »

Also, Look at Steel Panthers. A bit dated, it is still a good game
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Panzer Corps is an easy game to learn and play. It is very similar to SSI's Panzer General--the game that reputedly saved the wargaming genre. If you play it, like it, and want to play more of it, there are plenty of DLCs available for purchase.

Edit: Check out this post for links to download a demo of Panzer Corps (the links still work for Gamer’s Hell and Worth Playing).

I hope that helps you out.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I guess my preference (and I'm not familiar with some of the terms so I need to describe) would be first a game that is smaller scale - squad/platoon rather than whole armies. Yet I don't want a first person shooter! I'm interested in a game that I can play in an hour or less - unless the game can be stopped and started. I should also note that I have a Mac.
Battle Academy series. Also available for Mac.

Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon otherwise fits the bill, but I don't see it available for Mac.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Battle Academy is the best for a new comer at tactical scale.

Or if you want to go abit lees casual I suggest Squad Battles by John Tiller..lots of Wars\theaters to choose from and a great community over at The Blitz who you cna play against and will show you the ropes. Personally I'd dive in for a Squad Battles game.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Then you'll definitely like Panzer Command: Osfront even more. [:D]
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I'd suggest Panzer Corps or Battle Academy. They are both simple enough, look good and have good tutorials, but give the feeling of a more complicated wargame. I develop more complicated wargames, but I've spent hundreds of hours enjoying these two series of games. I wouldn't recommend Steel Panthers as the look and interface would be a struggle for newcomers (it was originally designed in 1995, although Matrix has done a nice job of getting the most out of it). We're working with Matrix on a new Steel Panthers like game and when that's released I hope to be able to recommend that to both newcomers and grognards.

The Order of Battle series is another worth considering. It's a bit more complicated than Panzer Corps but very similar so you can start with Panzer Corps and easily move to Order of Battle. Full Disclosure: I am surely biased as I worked on the original Panzer General. I've been a fan of these games for a long time.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Then you'll definitely like Panzer Command: Osfront even more. [:D]
Not a good suggestion for a new wargamer.
operating

Post by operating »

I think the word you are seeking is: "tactical"...

Members like aaatoysandmore (as well as others) seem to be more tactical orientated, although I don't have the game he has suggested. If you have the time check out Battle Academy 2 YouTube videos (some are fun just to watch), it might be right up your alley.[;)]

and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
wodin

Post by wodin »

I'm a tactical nut..

and agree it has to be Battle Academy 2 for you:)

ORIGINAL: operating

I think the word you are seeking is: "tactical"...

Members like aaatoysandmore (as well as others) seem to be more tactical orientated, although I don't have the game he has suggested. If you have the time check out Battle Academy 2 YouTube videos (some are fun just to watch), it might be right up your alley.[;)]

operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I'm a tactical nut..

OK, Your a tactical nut too..!!!![:)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”