TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post by Orm »

Do we feel lucky?

Picture from May/Jun '41 Impulse #3
Attachments
379.jpg
379.jpg (118.66 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Do we feel lucky?

Picture from May/Jun '41 Impulse #3
warspite1

What do we need - low or a high number?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

We need to roll low. A one, or a two, does the trick if we try and DOW Germany.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

In which case we go for it. We will roll a 1.

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I wouldn't at 20%. The Allied situation is not desperate by any means. If it fails, you might not get another chance till Sep/Oct.

I think the Italians are temporarily low on lift? The Axis has a long way to go in North Africa. The forces left in Morocco should be able to hold on OK for a turn - I think the Panzers have all gone east already?

Also, there is this - the Italians will soon be raiding the Atlantic, perhaps in force. The best way to put a stop to that is a nice Surprise Impulse smack-down by the USN Atlantic Fleet. Perhaps the balance of this turn could be used to subtly reinforce the Atlantic Fleet during the Return to Base phase from some innocuous Eastern Pacific sea zone, though you will want the Regia Marina at sea on DOW, so I wouldn't get overly dramatic on that or they will get spooked. Maybe just insure Ranger and Wasp have the best available CV planes, maybe via at-sea trades with Pacific Fleet. If the Italians raid to the south, maybe block their return to Gibraltar.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

In which case we go for it. We will roll a 1.
Captain Edward A. Murphy Jr. just raised a interesting point. Maybe the 1 isn't as sure as we think. [:D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I wouldn't at 20%. The Allied situation is not desperate by any means. If it fails, you might not get another chance till Sep/Oct.

I think the Italians are temporarily low on lift? The Axis has a long way to go in North Africa. The forces left in Morocco should be able to hold on OK for a turn - I think the Panzers have all gone east already?

Also, there is this - the Italians will soon be raiding the Atlantic, perhaps in force. The best way to put a stop to that is a nice Surprise Impulse smack-down by the USN Atlantic Fleet. Perhaps the balance of this turn could be used to subtly reinforce the Atlantic Fleet during the Return to Base phase from some innocuous Eastern Pacific sea zone, though you will want the Regia Marina at sea on DOW, so I wouldn't get overly dramatic on that or they will get spooked. Maybe just insure Ranger and Wasp have the best available CV planes, maybe via at-sea trades with Pacific Fleet. If the Italians raid to the south, maybe block their return to Gibraltar.
Thank you for your suggestion.

The US are not prepared for a war. Almost their entire air force is reserve. And this includes the naval air. Orders are being made to recall essential personal and the ships prepared for war postings.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I think the Italians are temporarily low on lift?
Yes. But they get one transport next turn. The German sea lift is intact and it can now assist the Italians if they are transferred. A German marine arrives next turn as well, and a German paratrooper is also produced.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thank you for your suggestion.

The US are not prepared for a war. Almost their entire air force is reserve. And this includes the naval air. Orders are being made to recall essential personal and the ships prepared for war postings.
warspite1

So it was a rhetorical question? [:(]

Orm

Post by Orm »

No, it wasn't a rhetorical question.

I am usually unlucky when it comes to wargames. And I haven't felt particularly lucky in this game so far. So I thought maybe we would be lucky here. Luck favours the bold and all that.

Then I slept on it and I didn't feel confident about it. The answers I got made me feel even less confident. And it got me thinking about Murphy and how you should be prepared, and I thought that US is not really prepared to take advantage of any surprise. So it might be better to have the option to DOW next turn instead (after the carrier planes have been placed). Or maybe next impulse, especially if there are possible targets in the Atlantic? If we miss a DOW it is likely that it will take two turns before we can try again.

If you feel strongly about it, for next impulse, then we can surely make the attempt.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No, you are the US so final decision is yours.

Orm

Post by Orm »

No, you are the US so final decision is yours.
Thank you. Although I like to think of this as a team effort. [:)]
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

The vast bulk of the Italian fleet is only range 2. They could use them in Cape St. Vincent right now, but I would think they would rely on air there once again. I would however expect to see Axis ships base in Gibraltar at the end of this turn.

Fascinating game situation you have going.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Also very curious why you declined to sink the Italian CP when you could? After lift, their CP's are their next most vulnerable point for campaigning in Africa. They have a four turn lead time to replace and I think you have already whittled away at least one or two. But their CA force is large. They have been repairing it, a bit of inefficiency in my opinion, so I can see reasons to poke the Italians in that idea as well, because ...

Overall the Italians are playing far, far too conservatively - using the German largesse to fortify Italy while Gibraltar is under assault, for example. I would still consider a raid on Sardinia if you can get a division in to Malta or Tangiers as they will get sloppy with supply in the Western Med now with Gibraltar in hand. It might cost the CW a valuable division and/or a Cruiser but if successful something like that usually makes a conservative player over-react and further dull their offensive plans. Keep a full-court press on them for as long as you hold access to the Suez Canal and it will pay dividends.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Whoa, I forgot how good the position around Bilbao was. The Allied situation is very good right now.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Do you have any Soviet rail moves I can do for you?

If so, I can continue to the land movement step and then mail the save after the CW, and Nationalist, land moves?
Orm

Post by Orm »

I would still consider a raid on Sardinia if you can get a division in to Malta or Tangiers as they will get sloppy with supply in the Western Med now with Gibraltar in hand.
A invasion of Sardinia is high on my priorities list although I suspect it will be a long time before it is actually attempted. [:(]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

If so, I can continue to the land movement step and then mail the save after the CW, and Nationalist, land moves?
warspite1

No rail movement thank-you

Orm

Post by Orm »

Also very curious why you declined to sink the Italian CP when you could? After lift, their CP's are their next most vulnerable point for campaigning in Africa. They have a four turn lead time to replace and I think you have already whittled away at least one or two. But their CA force is large. They have been repairing it, a bit of inefficiency in my opinion, so I can see reasons to poke the Italians in that idea as well, because ...
The Italian cruiser force was large. Now most of the cruiser are in need of repair. Only three Italian cruisers currently on the map. I would prefer to keep the number of Italian cruisers low so that Italy do not have enough to protect sea lift, convoys, and raid at the same time.

Italy has so far had some production of convoy points so I didn't really see a loss of one more becoming a immediate threat for Italian sea supply. I also thought that Italy had another convoy point in production but I now see that Italy does not.

I also thought that it was possible that the Italian convoy would stay at sea letting me have another go at it without any risk for the submarines. Turns out I was wrong about that one.
Attachments
386.jpg
386.jpg (163.54 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

No rail movement thank-you
May I suggest that you rail one garrison to Brest-Litovsk now that you have a rail move left?

Return to “After Action Report”