Overlord AI suicide ?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Ohf

Overlord AI suicide ?

Post by Ohf »

Hello !

First of all thanks for this fantastic game, I'm enjoying it a lot. I will post a more detailed return when I finish my game. I'm currently playing as the Axis in the 1942 campaign, and its 1944 now. The Allies launched Overlord. However I clearly dominate the seas with my combined german-spanish-italian fleet. The Allies got a small bridge head in the Cherbourg peninsula but I was able to throw them back into the sea. At the same time, I was sinking countless allied ships and troops every turn. Even when the Allied fleet was at the bottom of the sea, the computer kept sending troops. I sunk 25 transports according to the reports. I admire this level of commitment but at this point it was pure suicide. The Channel is red with blood. Can the AI abort its amphibious operations or is it trying (as it looked in my game) to keep going no matter what ?

Another remark would be on the 1944 scenario, the Allied AI keeps landing its HQs in very vulnerable positions on the first turn of the game. I'm able to kill Eisenhower HQ or Monty on my turn. This happened several times.

fatgreta1066

RE: Overlord AI suicide ?

Post by fatgreta1066 »

How did you get Spain on board? And once you did that did you take Gibraltar?
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Ohf,

Thanks for the feedback and that's a tough one as realistically I could just have the AI not commit this type of Transport suicide, but then the alternative is for it to just stay at home and not try anything which might look like weakness on its part as well. I think the real problem here is that the game is likely lost for the AI either way and it is damned if it does, and damned if it doesn't.

For the 1944 campaign this was probably the campaign that I unfortunately had the least amount of time to fine tune and I did see it land HQs in sometimes vulnerable positions and only when it wasn't able to destroy all the defenders in its way to allow for more optimal landings. It didn't always happen so I felt that it was reasonable if it happened every once in a while, but I now feel like yourself that it is happening too often and will adjust this for the next update to ensure smooth landings every time.

Hubert
Ohf

Post by Ohf »

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066

In 1943 the Allied landed in Morocco and Algeria. I held in Tunisia and then counter-landed in Algiers. Once I took Algiers an event fired, proposing that Spain joins the War for 800mpp (200/turn). I accepted. And I took Gibraltar right after with a Spanish army.
ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi Ohf,

Thanks for the feedback and that's a tough one as realistically I could just have the AI not commit this type of Transport suicide, but then the alternative is for it to just stay at home and not try anything which might look like weakness on its part as well. I think the real problem here is that the game is likely lost for the AI either way and it is damned if it does, and damned if it doesn't.

For the 1944 campaign this was probably the campaign that I unfortunately had the least amount of time to fine tune and I did see it land HQs in sometimes vulnerable positions and only when it wasn't able to destroy all the defenders in its way to allow for more optimal landings. It didn't always happen so I felt that it was reasonable if it happened every once in a while, but I now feel like yourself that it is happening too often and will adjust this for the next update to ensure smooth landings every time.

Hubert

Thank you Hubert ! I might take care of the landing and then switch to Axis as a quick-fix to the situation.
Ohf

Post by Ohf »

A suggestion for this scenario.

On the first turn of Overlord, the Allies AI should use its strategic bombers on Rennes, le Mans and Rouen. That way, the Axis cannot bring reinforcements in the area on the first turn.

As of now its quite easy to bring all your elite troops from the Eastern front, lock the Allied bridgehead and throw them back to the sea in a couple of turns.

I managed the Allied airpower for the first turn, and then switched to Axis. The Allied achieved much better than usual, and I cannot bring reinforcement in the area now.

Is it possible to script such a behavior ? I also think the AI should hammer Cherbourg with the tac bombers, instead of losing time in sieging it in the following turns.
EdwinP

Post by EdwinP »

ORIGINAL: Ohf

A suggestion for this scenario.

On the first turn of Overlord, the Allies AI should use its strategic bombers on Rennes, le Mans and Rouen. That way, the Axis cannot bring reinforcements in the area on the first turn.

As of now its quite easy to bring all your elite troops from the Eastern front, lock the Allied bridgehead and throw them back to the sea in a couple of turns.

I managed the Allied airpower for the first turn, and then switched to Axis. The Allied achieved much better than usual, and I cannot bring reinforcement in the area now.

Is it possible to script such a behavior ? I also think the AI should hammer Cherbourg with the tac bombers, instead of losing time in sieging it in the following turns.

I like this idea. Add to the amphibious and offensive script a list of Strategic bombing targeting tiles designed to interdict the transportation network. This could also be used by the Axis in their push towards Minsk/Smolensk.

IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Would it be worth considering limiting the range you can operationally move? It feels like it should take at least 2 turns to get to and from the Eastern Front. It might mean we want to reduce the cost of operational moves to compensate.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Ohf

ORIGINAL: fatgreta1066

In 1943 the Allied landed in Morocco and Algeria. I held in Tunisia and then counter-landed in Algiers. Once I took Algiers an event fired, proposing that Spain joins the War for 800mpp (200/turn). I accepted. And I took Gibraltar right after with a Spanish army.
ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi Ohf,

Hubert

Thank you Hubert ! I might take care of the landing and then switch to Axis as a quick-fix to the situation.

Thanks for that info on getting Spain on board! I will try and replicate. Much appreciated!
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”