Disappearing units?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

MarechalJoffre

Disappearing units?

Post by MarechalJoffre »

Playing the '43 scenario, I had a tank unit in Rome to prevent it from being captured by Allies when Italian surrender happens. However when the event happened my tank unit disappeared nowhere to be seen and I was able to produce a unit with the same name in production screen, so it was essentially destroyed. How could it happen? Possible bug?
Hubert Cater

RE: Disappearing units?

Post by Hubert Cater »

If this was a German unit there are some game rules in place to have units in this type of situation be re-located to friendly territory upon a surrender. But if it completely disappeared and you were able to rebuild then something might be amiss... however I'd need the turn prior to the surrender to see exactly what was happening (following it through my code) when the surrender occurred.

Do you happen to have this turn?
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

A similar thing happened to one of my Egyptian "garrisons" in Damascus when France went Vichy. I figured that it was a feature - they deserted. [:)]
Ancient One

Post by Ancient One »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

If this was a German unit there are some game rules in place to have units in this type of situation be re-located to friendly territory upon a surrender.

Are German units really supposed to be relocated from a surrendered Italy? That doesn't make Italy very defensible, and historically the Germans occupied most of the country long after the Italian surrender.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Zagys,

Apologies, you are correct as this bit of code (the part I referred to above) only fires for situations like the formation of neutral territory upon surrender, i.e. such as for when Vichy France is created and there might be some Italian units still in place in the soon to be created Vichy Territory.

Hubert
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

Hubert,

The Greek cruiser (CA) disappears upon the surrender of Greece - when it in a Greek port, but not when it is at sea or in a British port.

While I have you attention . . . On the April 27, 1942 turn, the USSR player gets an offer to build 3 x Anti-tank units at Gorky at the cost of 50 MPPs x 4 turns. Over the following four turns the 50 MPP deductions are made from the Soviet account BUT no A-T units appear at Gorky. INSTEAD, three A-T units show up in Germany (Berlin?), and they are definitely grey in colour. Insult to injury for the USSR player. [&:] [:D]
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi hjalmar99,

For the Greek cruiser this is the expected behavior as there is no condition on location for naval units to go "Free". There is simply a 50% chance for Greek naval units to become free units upon surrender.

Germany should also receive AT units as they have a similar DECISION event as the Soviets and for the USSR I'd have to see the turn in question to have a better idea, can you send it to me at support@furysoftware.com

Thanks,
Hubert
DeriKuk

Post by DeriKuk »

Hubert,

Do I send you saved file? As for the A-T option error: no, it was not a single instance. This repeated itself in two successive games. Perhaps there is a pattern? [;)]

You're welcome.
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

I had a BEF unit disappear (destroyed as it was rebuildable) that was in Vichy France when France fell. Previously, my BEF units in 'regular' France did NOT disappear. Is this expected behavior?
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: hjalmar99

Hubert,

Do I send you saved file? As for the A-T option error: no, it was not a single instance. This repeated itself in two successive games. Perhaps there is a pattern? [;)]

You're welcome.

Yes, please send me the saved file where I can see that the Soviet AT units did not arrive as scheduled. This will help me to track it down.

Hubert
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

I had a BEF unit disappear (destroyed as it was rebuildable) that was in Vichy France when France fell. Previously, my BEF units in 'regular' France did NOT disappear. Is this expected behavior?

Hi GordianKnot,

Yes, this is correct as the one in France should not disappear and will continue to fight after the fall of France, however the one in Vichy will be considered lost/surrendered as it was trapped behind enemy lines during the formation of the new Vichy France territory. When this happens, and if you have messages enabled you should receive a message to that effect in game for the BEF.

The reasoning behind this is that there is no other connected friendly territory for the BEF to be logically sent to when Vichy France forms as a new and neutral country, whereas for the Italians they can be withdrawn back to Italy and this is why the Italian or other Axis units in a similar situation do not "disappear".

Hope this helps,
Hubert

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”