PROOF that Pricing Matters

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

solops

PROOF that Pricing Matters

Post by solops »

Yeah, pricing makes a big difference. Thanks to the current sale I now own three more Matrix games (and some add-ons) that I would NEVER have otherwise bought. Now, what the hell I am going to do with them I don't know. They will probably sit there, all updated, mods and scenarios added, next to the other 10 or 20 un-played games I own until someday I get around to them or die. Yeah, pricing matters.

My wife does not like you.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
warspite1

RE: PROOF that Pricing Matters

Post by warspite1 »

....... or not [;)]

I don't want any more games at present. I have MWIF, I have Strategic Command, I have DC:B and Wars of Napoleon. All games could be 50% off and that would not affect my buying pattern. But I'd buy the game at 500% recommended retail price if they made a War in the Mediterranean 1940-43 game. So whilst price is your driver (and fair enough) having the game I want to play is mine.

My wife does not like you either - Matrix that is, not solops [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

my other half loves me, but the ex wife hates me[X(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

But, it's even nicer when you have a wife that likes to play the types of games you do. Never in a hundred years would I have thought I would have found one but, I did. She loved to play Feudal by Avalon Hill.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

if mine even dusts in my pc rooms, i don't talk for a week after she used polish on my new monitor, couldn't get the glare off it for what seemed like ages, as she used a vacuum cleaner round my 10TB NAS box, i nearly died, so really happy mine doesn't play my sort of games, only FB ones and i'm more than happy with that...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
solops

Post by solops »

Oh, I like all of the game all right, but price makes a big difference too. I'd never buy something I was not really interested in. Finding time to play is the problem.

And my wife like to hunt. She likes guns. She just smiled at me....does she know what I just bought?.... Gotta go get that girl out on a deer blind pronto! Bye!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Oh man these are good posts,
Sales definitely work. I was going to buy an Ssd and I missed the sale so not buying one, same thing with games, Steam sales are off, not buying
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Bought two old matrix titles on sale.
Ostfront and ..erm ..what the hell was it ..?...Conflicts of heroes.

See...sales work ..i don't even know what I got and haven't opened either yet.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Sales and Pricing work, I was gonna buy OotPBB17 for Christmas and low and behold it just went on sale at Humble Bundle for as little as a $1 (buck). That's the edition where the cubs win the world series after 100 plus years and they had updated it Aug 30 to represent the current rosters. So I not only got a great BB game for a buck but a collectable item of the century.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

I didnt buy any steam sale games, and I am glad that I resisted, I really do not have time anytime soon to even try those games that I am dying to play.
For Matrix sales I have a couple of games I am definitely going to buy, but I have time so mostly I will get my games only from Matrix before Christmas.

Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I'm with Warspite, actually I have too many games. If they were free, I'd still have the time barrier to cope with.

Not sure my boyfriend is a war gamer.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

aaaa hope you like ootp 17, I have it also and it works well. I have games and I never play them - B1 - 53 dollars and played once, I just got Watchdogs 2 for free and I need to place the 1070 card in the machine!!! I bought SC3 right away, played three times and of course many others - Everyday - play Panzer Corps, old game but love it, King of Panzer Corps even though I dont always win, love that game and I will buy every dlc if more came out
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

What may also help sales is not gouging us foriegners on the exchange rates. Here the CAD trades over $0.07 less than the official rate and an average of $0.06 less than Amazon, OBD and other on-line stores that I've checked. Had planned to purchase at least three Matrix/Slitherine/AGEOD titles during the sale but not with the usurious exchange rate offered this year.

-C
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The exchange rates as always are calculated on the daily rate and are exactly what we get - we're not making a penny on the transaction and the only people making anything are the banks. Any rate you're referring to is not a real rate you can get. Go to your local bank and exchange CAD for USD and you'll see the difference between reality and the headline rate. Note how you get a different rate in every store you go to. This is just how it works. If you're waiting for it to change then you'll never buy a game again as its way beyond our ability to control :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Imagine this type of world where man made machines to take over all the mundane jobs and allowed humans the freedom to play and do whatever they wanted and then game developers making games for free out of boredom and not greed or a living. Or perhaps machines taking over making better games than humans can [:D]

Imagine one day living in a completely automated world where everything is done by a machine. We're getting there aren't we? [:D]
You won't even have to grocery shop anymore as a machine can do that for you. Prepackaged healthy grocery lists will be generated on your (free)home computer and automatically delivered to your front door at no charge. You'll never have to leave the house or couch.

If you want take out that can be arranged as well as we have call in delivery orders now don't we? Just call in Rotorooty's Pizza delivery service and the automated machines will do the rest. Or just sit on your couch forever and just SAY "Pizza" and the local home electronics monitor will do the rest. Answering to your every need.

Why, it could get to the point you'd never need anybody or anything as a machine will be able to do it for you and faster and free as they will pay for themselves as the program tells them to create and work for nothing. A machine will learn to produce and maintain everything it needs to function and thus be self sufficient. Only to serve man until one day it revolts and becomes "The Terminator" haha
Randomizer

Post by Randomizer »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

The exchange rates as always are calculated on the daily rate and are exactly what we get - we're not making a penny on the transaction and the only people making anything are the banks. Any rate you're referring to is not a real rate you can get. Go to your local bank and exchange CAD for USD and you'll see the difference between reality and the headline rate. Note how you get a different rate in every store you go to. This is just how it works. If you're waiting for it to change then you'll never buy a game again as its way beyond our ability to control :)
This does nothing to explain why the exchange rate here makes doing business with Matrix significantly more expensive, to the tune of $0.05 to $0.06 on the dollar, than with competitors for similar products on the same dates. If Matrix/Slitherine isn't pocketing the difference (probably true), somebody else certainly is and I suspect that somebody might be Bluesnap.com. I frequently do online business in CAD with US and UK companies and never are the exchange rates as outrageously different from the official rates or from each other as they are here every single day.

But the snark from the management is certainly appreciated. Thanks.

-C

Return to “General Discussion”