What Was On That Ship?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zoetermeer

What Was On That Ship?

Post by Zoetermeer »

Is there some way to see what a ship was carrying before it was sunk? Whenever I see a random transport TF hit by a sub or the occasional surface raiding group, I may lose a few cargo ships but I have no way of knowing what was on them. This is especially critical if your ships happen to be carrying troops and/or air groups, for example.

I guess you could load an old save and inspect the TF, but that is not great.
HansBolter

RE: What Was On That Ship?

Post by HansBolter »

Beyond keeping a personal log no there is not.
The game lacks the plethora of functionaries performing clerical duties to keep track of everything that the real life commanders actually had.

It's especially disconcerting when it tunrs out to be a Continuous Supply TF that is now no longer continuously supplying and you only realize a month later that base X is no longer getting supply.
Hans

Zoetermeer

Post by Zoetermeer »

Bummer, I wish that WITP Tracker could be of some help in this regard but it doesn't seem to give us much either.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Zoetermeer

Is there some way to see what a ship was carrying before it was sunk? Whenever I see a random transport TF hit by a sub or the occasional surface raiding group, I may lose a few cargo ships but I have no way of knowing what was on them. This is especially critical if your ships happen to be carrying troops and/or air groups, for example.

You could look into the "Ground (or air) units lost" list. Haven't tried it myself, though, but if y look in the day
after you might get an indication. If a ship is sunk and no ground (or air) units are listed as lost it would probable
just carry supplies or fuel. Your daily combat report also lists personnel or equipment lost in a sinking - does
it not?

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

ORIGINAL: Zoetermeer

You could look into the "Ground (or air) units lost" list. Haven't tried it myself, though, but if y look in the day
after you might get an indication. If a ship is sunk and no ground (or air) units are listed as lost it would probable
just carry supplies or fuel. Your daily combat report also lists personnel or equipment lost in a sinking - does
it not?

Fred

Small units loaded on a single ship that is sunk will show up on the units lost list (or loaded on 2 ships and both are sunk). Unfortunately, I've seen it many times. Divisions loaded on many ships will not show which fragment is lost, but you will see a drop in AV when the unit disembarks.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The combat report does list ground units lost when a ship is sunk. I don't recall if it lists air units that were carried aboard a ship that has been sunk.
fair winds,
Brad
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

The combat report does list ground units lost when a ship is sunk. I don't recall if it lists air units that were carried aboard a ship that has been sunk.

I don't think so but you can look them up in the destroyed squadrons listing.
Both the ground troops lost and air squadrons lost can be identified with a little investigative work.
It's the inability to identify which CS TF I lost that bothers me most.
I typically create one ship CS TFs for small island bases like Palmyra and Christmas.
When that lone ship gets sunk it can be some time before I realize one of my bases hasn't been getting supply.
Hans

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I don't think so but you can look them up in the destroyed squadrons listing.
Both the ground troops lost and air squadrons lost can be identified with a little investigative work.
It's the inability to identify which CS TF I lost that bothers me most.
I typically create one ship CS TFs for small island bases like Palmyra and Christmas.
When that lone ship gets sunk it can be some time before I realize one of my bases hasn't been getting supply.
What's wrong with opening up the previous turn and looking up the ship that was sunk in the ALL SHIPS list?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Man you really want me to work for it.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”