OT where have all the good games gone?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RogerJNeilson

RE: OT where have all the good games gone?

Post by RogerJNeilson »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Well before resuming the digital entertainment, I would like to chime in too in support of books. I am not completely 'old fart' - I long since succumbed in the music world and no longer buy physical CD's, but instead download all my music from itunes (even though I said I wouldn't).

But books? I will never move to kindle or whatever electronic device. As I sit here typing this I am surrounded by my library of books - probably 90% military history - and I love them! Small second hand paper backs to large, glossy, hardbacks, I love them all, I love the smell of them when new, I love their accessibility, I love the feel of them in my hands. I love their ability to teach as they enrich and expand my knowledge of subjects I love.

Funny how life changes. As a small boy, I hated reading - it was boring and frankly I'd rather be outside kicking a ball around or making airfix models - or frankly doing anything but boring reading. Now? Now I cannot read enough, there is not enough hours in the day to satisfy my thirst for history knowledge. Life, its a funny old game eh?

I do think that factual books have a life still, though as Alfred says the tablet can work with them if they are formatted properly and if you don't want to access them outdoors. However there are practical considerations as follows:
1. Physical space - we downsized a couple of years ago and I have little space for any physical books
2. An e-reader is small and light to hold, an issue as you get older
3. It always remembers the page you were on - an issue when you get older
4. Accessibility of print size - an issue when you get older
5. I regularly take long holidays and read a lot - try calculating book weight when flying, or boot space when driving to somewhere....
6. Pretty much immediate access to purchase

There are a lot of advantages

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I have a monochrome Kindle and a Kindle Fire. The color is good for any publication viewed better in color as well as occasional portable web browsing. The monochrome is much better for conventional books.

I have a Kindle library building up, but I still read dead tree editions fairly often. Quite often it's cheaper to buy a physical book than an electronic one, especially lightly used ones. The last books I bought I found the hardcovers for the series I was looking for were $0.99 each (plus shipping) and the Kindle books were around $10. Physical books are easier to skim and jump around if so inclined and easier to loan to someone, but electronic books take up less space, can be searched with electronic search tools (a plus for reference books), and delivery is instantaneous. So I end up with some of each.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

There are a lot of advantages

Roger

Kindle here too. I read in a dark bedroom while GOTP is asleep. And I can blow up the type size so one page is about ten lines. Tap,. tap, tap. I fly through paperbacks I had to stop reading because I couldn't see the words.

I've only bought two books for the thing. Our library system has many thousands of ebooks, and more all the time. Every library in Minnesota is linked into the ebook system, so I can inter-library borrow in many cases too. I've gotten a new book at 0200 before, in thirty seconds, without leaving bed. I only need to charge it about once a month.
The Moose
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I guess I'm Old School. I have over eight thousand books in my library last time I indexed them. I'm gonna hate it if I ever have to move them[:(]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I guess I'm Old School. I have over eight thousand books in my library last time I indexed them. I'm gonna hate it if I ever have to move them[:(]

I'd hate to be "moved" before my books are....[&:]..

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

My family are all bookworms. I'm the slowest reader and probably have the smallest library, and my SO complains a lot about the books we have. My sister and I have been talking lately about how we're going to deal with my father's house when the time comes. It looks like my father may not get out of an assisted living place. He's in there now temporarily and while he still talks about going home, he's realizing life is a lot easier with somebody around to do some things for you. If he decides to stay, we'll be selling the house.

My parents deliberately built a lot of storage into the house so they could stash stuff. All the bedrooms have big walk in closets and at least one of them is so full of books you can't really move in there. My sister said she can donate them to the local library's book sale, but we're going to have to pack them all up after we've decided what we want to keep. My father has a large collection of WW II history books among other things.

I'll probably go down there in a few months to take a first cut at the mess. It's going to take a couple of weeks when we finally need to sell.

Whoever has to triage the piles is something few packrats consider. My SO had to do it with her adopted mother. With her it was clothes.

Bill
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

We are old school, but there isn't any right and wrong here. The majority of society has switched over mostly or entirely to the electronic age (when's the last time you saw an 18-year-old with a newspaper in his hands?). A minority goes grudgingly or partially or not at all.

So the Moose enjoys the convenience of 2 a.m. downloads from his local library. Late at night, I enjoy reading a book in bed or in my recliner, becoming weary, laying the book on my chest, and falling asleep. I do that all the time. I wouldn't do that with an electronic gizmo.

For some, playing chess is a social event to be enjoy face-to-face with a friend or committed opponent, with a drinks on the table and cigars in hand. Others only play against AI deep in the night.

For the new generation, a monster thinking strategy game like AE will never be of interest; for a minority of us, it's the most exciting, thought-provoking and enjoyable pastime available.

The youngsters and techies are welcome to their devices as long as they don't tell me what to do or try to force me to do something.

But I'll close with this thought. Technology exacts a subtle toll that most are willing to pay, even if they only barely understand that they're paying it: The tyranny of instant and perpetual availability. Augh!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

It's only obsolete today if people believe it is. The only issue I see that is really an obsolescence issue is operability with newer operating systems and that is beginning to become more and more of an issue. With some effort that may be fixable though.

A lot of kids are going to turn up their noses at any game like WitP because it's not real time and doesn't have a lot of flashy graphics, but trying to weave in features that would draw in many younger gamers would break the game. This has to remain a turn based game in some fashion to remain what it is.

Bill

I'm not talking about flashy graphics really. Maybe more detailed and realistic encounter and conflict management routines etc. Optional tactical resolution for land warfare etc.
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

I have evolved into mixed use between my Kindle and real books. The real risk is when the lights go out and you lose power it would be nice to have a book available to read by firelight and during the day. Just make sure you buy your survivor guides in hard copy.[:D]

Donating to a library is a good option because you get rid of the books quickly and get a nice tax write off. I tried selling my books and a lot of stores would only buy certain ones and I hated lugging the books back home. They also did not get what I thought they were worth. Plus my SO felt that if the store would not buy them they belong in the trash.[X(] What an awful thought.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Late at night, I enjoy reading a book in bed or in my recliner, becoming weary, laying the book on my chest, and falling asleep. I do that all the time.
warspite1

That is better than my MO. Rather than sitting up, I like to go to bed and read my book there, lying down. The problem with that is that tiredness creeps up much faster now - and I am often woken by being smacked in the face with a hardback book.......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I travel a lot so I find a kindle a great tool. No need to lug around 5-6 books in my backpack anymore! I also love the backlit screen for reading at night while laying in bed. For serious study and note-taking, however, a physical copy is best. Thinking about this as I head back to business school.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Vader5

Post by Vader5 »

I love my Kindle app and do most of my fiction reading on iPad or iPhone. However, I prefer a physical copy for non-fiction. I read a lot of history and it's hard to keep track of maps, charts, tables, etc. on Kindle. Much easier to follow on a hard copy.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I have to say the area I feel has most scope for development in a digital format is military history where you could actually have much moire dynamic battle maps. I despair of histories that grudgingly give you one map for a battle and I understand it in print format, but in digital it woulod be easy to develop a map which allowed you to move forward in time phases and see developments and deployments like no other way of illustrating this.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Big B

Post by Big B »

While I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said below Bill, I was astounded to find a rather large exception recently.

Because of a renewed personal interest in Avalon Hill's/MMP's ASL, I went searching for some relevant forums and found it on Gamesquad.com
They very recently changed their Forum format (since September 2016), but prior to this - each game forum showed the number of it's members.
The surprise was seeing that ASL boasted some over 357,000 members world wide (in 2016)....unfortunately they don't show any figures now that I can find - but the point is, in ASL's case - they are garnering over 350,000 fans in 2016...which can only be indicative of a portion of ASL sales over the last 30 years...astoundingly good for such a niche market.

Still though, that pales in comparison to today's console games like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty (for example).

On the other hand, another sobering statistic I saw this year was watching 'Video Games: The Movie' on Netflix.
They pointed out that since humble beginnings with Atari's 2600 back in the 1970's, ....the Video Game Industry now dwarfs the annual sales of ALL Motion Pictures (ie..Hollywood), Professional Sports, and the entire Music Industry - COMBINED! (that blew my mind anyway).

So the reality that hardcore military sims like WitP:AE aren't huge numbers in the Industry isn't at all surprising...considering where that industry now lies.

B

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Many years ago there was an editorial in the Avalon Hill magazine The General about the size of the wargame hobby. I believe the writer was one of the head people at AH and knew the industry well. He pointed out that a mega hit in the wargame industry like Advanced Squad Leader would sell around 10,000 copies over its entire lifetime. The popular games sold by Hasbro all sell more than 100,000 copies a year. Hasbro drops games that don't meet that threshold. When Hasbro later bought AH people were scratching their heads because AH was such small potatoes compared to everything else in their line up, but they were looking to the rights to some of AH's more popular multiplayer games like Diplomacy to turn them into online games. That never really happened, but that may have been their thinking.

The computer game industry is a bit different from the physical game industry, but the same scale of economics apply. Games like Grand Theft Auto sell millions of copies and the studios that create those games have lots of cash to invest in new games. Though they still do all they can to recycle the old game engines because creating a game engine from scratch is not easy and once you get something right, you milk it for all you can. Games that can be played on multiple platforms are also desirable in the industry. Games limited to one platform are limiting their market from the start.

In the gaming business real time games sell better than games that take time to play. Those who don't play real time games, tend to be on game systems like iWin or play Facebook games that have fairly simple game engines compared to what it takes to run the sort of wargame Matrix releases. The sort of people who have the patience for a slowly unfolding game like AE are few and far between. And of those people, there is some percentage who wouldn't be interested in the subject, and another percentage who never heard of Matrix.

I can't go into details, but having seen the extent of the guts of AE, it would be a pretty daunting task for anyone to build an all new engine that did the same thing better. For a lifetime sales of 10,000 if you're lucky, the payoff is not worth it to most developers. Playing in the mainstream game arena where a big hit can bring in millions vs a niche game that might make $100K-$200K over its lifetime of the entire engine, only those who are doing it for the love of the game are going to bother.

AE was developed by a handful of people who were fans of the game. If we did it for the money we'd all be living in cardboard boxes now.

Bill
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Big B

While I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said below Bill, I was astounded to find a rather large exception recently.

Because of a renewed personal interest in Avalon Hill's/MMP's ASL, I went searching for some relevant forums and found it on Gamesquad.com
They very recently changed their Forum format (since September 2016), but prior to this - each game forum showed the number of it's members.
The surprise was seeing that ASL boasted some over 357,000 members world wide (in 2016)....unfortunately they don't show any figures now that I can find - but the point is, in ASL's case - they are garnering over 350,000 fans in 2016...which can only be indicative of a portion of ASL sales over the last 30 years...astoundingly good for such a niche market.

Still though, that pales in comparison to today's console games like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty (for example).

On the other hand, another sobering statistic I saw this year was watching 'Video Games: The Movie' on Netflix.
They pointed out that since humble beginnings with Atari's 2600 back in the 1970's, ....the Video Game Industry now dwarfs the annual sales of ALL Motion Pictures (ie..Hollywood), Professional Sports, and the entire Music Industry - COMBINED! (that blew my mind anyway).

So the reality that hardcore military sims like WitP:AE aren't huge numbers in the Industry isn't at all surprising...considering where that industry now lies.

B

If I remember right the article also said ASL was an unusual phenomenon in the industry. It was the mega hit that sold more than any other game out there. However, sales were still too small for Hasbro who licensed the rights to MMD soon after buying AH.

I didn't know video games were such a large market, but I'm not that surprised when I think about it. People prefer interacting with stories rather than just passively watching them.

Bill
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Hasbro canceled production of ASL and all of Avalon Hill's true wargames. There was a major internet community for ASL and one of the members of that community, Curt Schilling of MLB fame, put together a group MMP (MultiManPublishing) to buy the rights from Hasbro and resurrect ASL. Apparently they have since bought the rights to the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series as well as some other wargames from around the world.
fair winds,
Brad
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

Bumping this thread, because I don't want to create a new one for my question.

I just came across Order of Battle:WWII and more specifically OOB: Pacific.
How does this game compare to WitP:AE? I'd be interested to hear opinions of forum members that have played the game.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I had it filed on my hard drive under R for Rubbish, have since deleted it. Very simple and not at all to my taste.

Roger
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

For those who are nautically inclined, there are two great games sold by NWS. Steam and Iron: the Great War at Sea (recommend campaign expansion) and Rule the Waves. Their more tactical than strategic, but quite satisfying.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The Great War At Sea is a fairly enjoyable operational level depiction of WWI era (and thereabouts) naval warfare in a boardgame. Have they made a computer version of it?
fair winds,
Brad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”