New need scenario selection advice

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Chicharito19

New need scenario selection advice

Post by Chicharito19 »

Hi,

I have done tutorials including Tortuga's. I have also don Tom Weber's training lessons. I know that there is much to learn. What is a good starter scenario to try for real?

Michael
danlongman

RE: New need scenario selection advice

Post by danlongman »

I found making a small random war or battle helped me to learn how things worked.
It is an extremely versatile game.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Thanx. I may very well try that. I just didn't know if any of the made missions were also good for a new player.

Michael
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

I am confused on how to find out when a random scenario ends? Also is there a way to tell turn length and hex size? I've tried searching the boards using the search feature, but it doesn't appear to be working correctly for any searches.

Thanx for your help.

Michael
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Random games go until one side wins and the size is never mentioned because that is up to you to decide
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Thanx. I was just curious as to the actual size of each hex.
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Been playing random. Very fun now that I am getting a handle on it. Thanx for the tips. I do have some questions:

1. I still don't really understand hex size but understand that there are stacking limits. So how can you tell if you are facing an enemy icon that is a division, or a brigade, or whatever size...am I too wrapped up in "that"?

2. So you can make HQ's without officers? What advantages is an HQ without an officer?

Thanx for your help.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

HQs without leaders are less expensive.

If you just need an HQ for a port for example it is cost effective.

Chuck
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Like hex size, unit size is not fixed. You will have to take an evalutation of their combat skill (often represented by a number) and then go from there...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

OK. I am beginning to see that so much of this game is "flexible" and up to your own imagination. ...not fixed necessarily.

Michael
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yes...

That being said, there are plenty of ways to make a scenario, that is not "flexible" but has unit sizes and hex sizes you can relate to. :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

After re-reading this chain of comments, I realize the question was "how big is a hex" and not "how many hexes is a map".

But since I already pulled up the information, I'm going to force-feed you all some useless information anyway:
2.2.1. WORLD SIZE
Small (41 x 21 hexes), Medium (61 x 31 hexes), Large (71 x 41 hexes), X-Large (91 x 61 hexes), XX-Large (131 x 91 hexes) and Unplayable Large (171 x 121 hexes).

TO YOUR ACTUAL QUESTION: I suspect a hex is round-about ~60km or ~40 miles. Big enough, at least, that zone of control does not imply pinning a enemy unit in an adjacent hex (they still have freedom of movement, although slightly slower).

Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Thanx everyone
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Given that Heavy Artillery can shoot 2 hexes away, I would place hex size at closer to 5 or 6 miles (a 155mm Long Tom can shoot 13 miles). I'm talking about Vanilla ATG. Designers can change this completely (see Bombur's mod).
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

ORIGINAL: bobarossa

Given that Heavy Artillery can shoot 2 hexes away, I would place hex size at closer to 5 or 6 miles (a 155mm Long Tom can shoot 13 miles). I'm talking about Vanilla ATG. Designers can change this completely (see Bombur's mod).

You know, that's a good point. Yet aircraft have a range of about 5 hexes... I guess we'll have to believe in some kind of abstraction to make everything fit here haha...
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Chicharito19

Post by Chicharito19 »

Was considering picking up War in the West during the Holiday Sale. How would it compare to ATG?

Michael

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”